Career Officer
# 11
12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
You Went Over My Helmet???!!!!
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Commander
# 12
12-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Actually you'd have an officer stand a watch called Officer of the Deck or OOD. They would be in charge of the day to day routine of the ship and would be supervised by the CO. They would be capable of running the ship while the CO slept of did Captain-y things. The OOD would stand watch with a Conning officer, whose only job was to giver orders to the helm and lee helm and the Junior officer of the Watch that acted as an assistant to the OOD.
In battle situations the ship would go to its most experience OOD and his team to take over.
If the CO had to take over and give orders it would look bad on the OOD.
Also in battle situations the XO would not be on the bridge. He would be in Engineering. His main job would be to control the damage control teams. Having him on the bridge would mean one lucky shot and a ship would lose the CO and XO.
Captain
# 13
12-11-2012, 01:30 PM
It's levels of delegation.

Although Picard is, for all intents and purposes, an EXTREMELY good combat commander, he has delegated most of this task to Riker. Remember the episode with the old couple on the planet as the only "survivors" (no more details lest I spoil it - yes, it was a 20 year old episode, but spoiling proves little for this).

In that episode, in at least one battle, Picard gave very overall orders, and Riker gave the details. Picard just watched, apparently content in Riker's handling of the Enterprise and his orders to the helm and tactical control. If I recall correctly, Picard at one point said something like, "We have been more than patient, Number One," and Riker basically started commanding the ship in an attack run while Picard simply watched.
Captain
# 14
12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
Also in battle situations the XO would not be on the bridge. He would be in Engineering. His main job would be to control the damage control teams. Having him on the bridge would mean one lucky shot and a ship would lose the CO and XO.
This brings up another question - while I am aware of the budgetary considerations in reality, one wonders why more battles weren't conducted, at least in part, from the Battle Bridge. The thing is likely fully functional even without saucer separation so long as the control systems are turned on and connected to the computer, and it's a battle-ready bridge so it's probably just as rugged as the regular bridge in terms of redundancies and backups. Instead, though, they keep their XO, CO, and most of the senior staff in the bridge that's right on top of the ship.

I am aware of some arguments, e.g. "it makes it easier to give it direct shield support," and I am aware of Gene Roddenberry's rules on this one, but still, once it translates in-universe it's more than a little strange when you consider the pragmatics involved.
Career Officer
# 15
12-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Now that I think about it there was at least one time where a battle erupted and Riker was calling the shots because he had the bridge while Picard was away doing something. Then when Picard made it back to the bridge, Riker gave him a quick briefing and moved over to his own chair. Maybe it just seemed sometimes to me like they were co-commanders the way they were giving orders.

Having never served in the military, all I can base my assumptions on are what I've seen on TV and in the movies.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 16
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Y'know, I've been slowly watching TNG and noticed this.

The way I had it figured, the commander of any vessel is expected to be able to give orders. After all, command division first officers are normally gunning for their own command one day; it makes sense to allow them to practice while under a more experienced eye. Especially so with Riker, as we know he was offered several commands of his own; presumably he was already experienced by the time he got to the Enterprise, so naturally Picard would trust his judgement enough to let him order people around. Besides, it's not like Picard couldn't say "No, that's stupid, do this instead" if Riker did anything he thought was a bad idea.
Career Officer
# 17
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
... one wonders why more battles weren't conducted, at least in part, from the Battle Bridge.
I remember hearing that originally all battles were going to be conducted from the battle bridge after saucer separation but it slowed down the pace of the episode too much.

Also, sometimes you'd just be flying through space and start getting pelted by disruptors and so have to conduct things from the main bridge.

One thought that comes to mind: since we insist on putting the command center of the ship in the most vulnerable spot, wouldn't it make sense to have a back up command crew manning the battle bridge at all times or at least at yellow alert in the event of a can-opener shot a la ENT: Twilight?

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 18
12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
I remember hearing that originally all battles were going to be conducted from the battle bridge after saucer separation but it slowed down the pace of the episode too much.

Also, sometimes you'd just be flying through space and start getting pelted by disruptors and so have to conduct things from the main bridge.

One thought that comes to mind: since we insist on putting the command center of the ship in the most vulnerable spot, wouldn't it make sense to have a back up command crew manning the battle bridge at all times or at least at yellow alert in the event of a can-opener shot a la ENT: Twilight?
The original point was that every battle was to involve saucer separation. However, they realized that it's a little difficult to have the ship basically fly at warp for two minutes, dump the saucer and fly back to courageously fight the bad guy. Very, very cumbersome. Plus as I recall, the saucer separation-capable model wasn't as good/useful as the other Enterprise model they used. And, yes, massive story slowdown. Although for some of this I thought the problem would be self-evident, considering the saucer has no known independent warp capability (except maybe using the impulse engines as warp field sustainers for a while).

I was, however, referring to using the Battle Bridge as just that - the Battle Bridge. I personally imagine my captains, when commanding Odysseys, conducting the ENTIRE battle from the Battle Bridge, so that they can immediately separate and fight.
Captain
# 19
12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I think it depends on the bridge structure...
Yes, in TNG, Riker was very much Picard's right hand, because he had very little to actually do on the bridge. At least on the Enterprise-E, he actually had a fully consoled position (his swivel unit on D hardly counts) to otherwise occupy his time (I always assumed it to be a communications console) I'm trying to think of times Chakotay gave specific orders on the bridge from his own seat (I expect he did, but none spring to mind) However. In TOS, Spock was never giving orders from Kirk's side. He was the Science Officer, and pretty much First Officer in title only. Likewise, neither Sulu nor Harriman had XOs at their side, nor did Sisko while in command of the Defiant (nor Watters, in command of the Valiant) so I'd say it depends on the structure of the bridge... Enough seats by the Captain, the First Officer has to actually serve as the XO... Isolated command chair, and the First Officer is an officer with a departmental specialty...

Last edited by marcusdkane; 12-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Just a thought on operating from the battle bridge after saucer separation. But wasn't the battle bridge located at the top of the Stardrive section, which would seem to make it just a vulnearble as the main bridge on top of the saucer section?