DS9
Q (again)
Pah wraiths
Another (different) Q

Voyager

the care taker
Lots and lots of Q

there are a fair few
The funny thing about all these godlike beings (post TOS anyways) they all start out as technological beings, and then steadily grow into supernatural ones instead. Early Q clearly travels in a starship, he stops the enterprise with a device of some sort, beams in and out, beams the crew away to his trial.

The Wormhole aliens are just that, wormhole aliens. They use the orbs as probes and transport vessels, but it is clear they are still beings grounded in reality.

The Care Taker was a friggin blob like being in a spaceship.

Then the series goes on and they become more and more supernatural, and that just bothered me a little.
Survivor of Romulus
# 122
12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinquishable from science
and any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic

Remember lost in space (the series)?
people popping in and out like mad

Last edited by sollvax; 12-11-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: mild spelling mistake
Captain
# 123
12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
Yes, precisely as I said. The deviant demi-god was a recurring theme in Trek, though I never said it was the central theme of the show. And 5-6 per series does not mean 5-6 appearances. Q appeared much more than 5 or 6 times.

I'm not sure if you are trying to play semantical games or not, but once more for emphasis, I never said it was the central theme of Trek or any Trek series, simply something that kept happening and goes to show realism is not a big priority in Trek.
I'm not playing semantical games at all. Quite the reverse. You used the example of god-like beings in Star Trek as an example that realism isn't a big priority. I'm simply pointing out that Trek covered many more 'realistic issues' than 'fantastical' ones Death, drugs, disabilities, unplanned parentage, religion, among others
Lt. Commander
# 124
12-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I'm not playing semantical games at all. Quite the reverse. You used the example of god-like beings in Star Trek as an example that realism isn't a big priority. I'm simply pointing out that Trek covered many more 'realistic issues' than 'fantastical' ones Death, drugs, disabilities, unplanned parentage, religion, among others
I never said Trek did not feature realistic issues. Simply that they dont mind tossing realism out the window whenever the writers feel like it. So the point is, Trek has selective realism. And because of that, the writers can choose to selectively ignore realism when it comes to Kirk getting command of a ship, which is exactly what they did.
Captain
# 125
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
I never said Trek did not feature realistic issues. Simply that they dont mind tossing realism out the window whenever the writers feel like it. So the point is, Trek has selective realism. And because of that, the writers can choose to selectively ignore realism when it comes to Kirk getting command of a ship, which is exactly what they did.
Yes, but some issues can be reasonably accepted by suspending disbelief, where others, simply remain implausible
Lt. Commander
# 126
12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Yes, but some issues can be reasonably accepted by suspending disbelief, where others, simply remain implausible
I agree. And I think that having a deviant demi-god appearing over and over is one of those implausible issues. Kirk getting a command the way he did may also be one. Or it may not. However, I dont have a problem with either of them because its all in good fun

Last edited by betawatcher; 12-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Captain
# 127
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
I agree. And I think that having a deviant demi-god appearing over and over is one of those implausible issues. Kirk getting a command the way he did may also be one. Or it may not. However, I dont have a problem with either of them because its all in good fun
'All in good fun' is not a phrase I would apply to JJTrek, but to each his own
Lt. Commander
# 128
12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
'All in good fun' is not a phrase I would apply to JJTrek, but to each his own
Um, ok? Do you disagree with the general point of my post or are you just trying to find something small to nit pick? I think its obvious we have a difference of opinion, so pointing that out doesnt really further the discussion in any way.
Captain
# 129
12-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Um, ok? Do you disagree with the general point of my post or are you just trying to find something small to nit pick? I think its obvious we have a difference of opinion, so pointing that out doesnt really further the discussion in any way.
I disagree with the general point: I dislike what JJ's done to Trek, and is continuing to do, and don't consider it any more than trash unfit to carry the title Star Trek. However, I also respect people's right to like different things to me
Commander
# 130
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
I disagree with the general point: I dislike what JJ's done to Trek, and is continuing to do, and don't consider it any more than trash unfit to carry the title Star Trek. However, I also respect people's right to like different things to me
Think of it as Galaxy Quest: The Next Generation and it all makes perfect sense.