Captain
# 141
12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
At least you get it: that this doesn't destroy the original, but only exists alongside it
I get that it doesn't destroy the original, I just think it's weak to go that route, rather than being truly original
Empire Veteran
# 142
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I get that it doesn't destroy the original, I just think it's weak to go that route, rather than being truly original
Which is your opinion, but I wish some of the more... stubborn-minded would get that through their heads

Having an opinion about ST2009 is perfectly fine, but regarding the film as a poison simply because it exists... that's just really stupid, imo.
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.

Last edited by trek21; 12-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 143
12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
I disagree with the general point: I dislike what JJ's done to Trek, and is continuing to do, and don't consider it any more than trash unfit to carry the title Star Trek. However, I also respect people's right to like different things to me
That all fine, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my "general point", which was that the writers of Trek disregard realism whenever they want. "Q" was just one example to show that it is hardly exclusive to JJ's movies. So while you may not like JJ-Trek, that has nothing to do with my point.

Quote:
You mean like how TNG wasnt "truly original", and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Or how DS9 wasnt "truly original", and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Or how Voyager wasnt "truly original" and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Yep, thats right. Nothing after TOS was "truly orignal", as they were all just piggybacking on the existing Star Trek brand name.

Pretty much any complaint(besides lens flairs) that is leveled against the JJ movies can also be leveled against the previous Trek series. They also disregarded realism(see "Q") and also were not "truly original" beyond TOS. None of that means you have to change your mind about not liking the movie, it just means that if you have a problem with one but not the other then you have a double standard.

Last edited by betawatcher; 12-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Captain
# 144
12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Which is your opinion, but I wish some of the more... stubborn-minded would get that through their heads

Having an opinion about ST2009 is perfectly fine, but regarding the film as a poison simply because it exists... that's just really stupid, imo.
I agree entirely. My beef's not with the film per se, but JJ, and the fact that a hack like him is allowed screen time
Lt. Commander
# 145
12-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
I agree entirely. My beef's not with the film per se, but JJ, and the fact that a hack like him is allowed screen time
Many people feel the same way about Brannon Braga
Rihannsu
# 146
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
I believe you mean "He Who Shall Not Be Named".
Captain
# 147
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
That all fine, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my "general point", which was that the writers of Trek disregard realism whenever they want. "Q" was just one example to show that it is hardly exclusive to JJ's movies. So while you may not like JJ-Trek, that has nothing to do with my point.
Yes, but again, it's one thing to disregard realism for a scenario/creature etc, and something else to suddenly expect people to believe that a militery (ish) organisation who are punishing a cadet for cheating on a crucial exam, would ignore the chain of command, and just say "Oh here you go, have a starship..." Maybe overlook the cheating, but to give him a full commission, that really was just pushing suspension of disbelief too far for the sake of a movie

Quote:
You mean like how TNG wasnt "truly original", and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Or how DS9 wasnt "truly original", and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Or how Voyager wasnt "truly original" and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Yep, thats right. Nothing after TOS was "truly orignal", as they were all just piggybacking on the existing Star Trek brand name.

Pretty much any complaint(besides lens flairs) that is leveled against the JJ movies can also be leveled against the previous Trek series. They also disregarded realism(see "Q") and also were not "truly original" beyond TOS. None of that means you have to change your mind about not liking the movie, it just means that if you have a problem with one but not the other then you have a double standard.
A fair point with regards riding on the coattails of the name, but a crucial difference, is that TNG, DS-9 and Voyager (even Enterprise) weren't ever intended to be re-workings of TOS, but extensions of that universe.
Lt. Commander
# 148
12-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Yes, but again, it's one thing to disregard realism for a scenario/creature etc, and something else to suddenly expect people to believe that a militery (ish) organisation who are punishing a cadet for cheating on a crucial exam, would ignore the chain of command, and just say "Oh here you go, have a starship..." Maybe overlook the cheating, but to give him a full commission, that really was just pushing suspension of disbelief too far for the sake of a movie
Your suspension of disbelief? Maybe. But that doesnt mean it pushes too far for everyones. Likewise, some may say that having Wesley the ensign wonder boy repeatedly saving the senior crew/ship is pushing their suspension of disbelief too far, but that doesnt mean it pushes yours too far. Everyone's suspension of disbelief is different, so there is no universal meter to go by when criticizing a movie or show.

Quote:
A fair point with regards riding on the coattails of the name, but a crucial difference, is that TNG, DS-9 and Voyager (even Enterprise) weren't ever intended to be re-workings of TOS, but extensions of that universe.
And the story of the movie is that this is not a "reworking", but a parallel timeline, not unlike the Mirror Universe. Same people, but different events and outcomes, while existing simultaneously alongside the existing Trek universe.
Captain
# 149
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Myself included
Captain
# 150
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Your suspension of disbelief? Maybe. But that doesnt mean it pushes too far for everyones. Likewise, some may say that having Wesley the ensign wonder boy repeatedly saving the senior crew/ship is pushing their suspension of disbelief too far, but that doesnt mean it pushes yours too far. Everyone's suspension of disbelief is different, so there is no universal meter to go by when criticizing a movie or show.
I guess that's true

Quote:
And the story of the movie is that this is not a "reworking", but a parallel timeline, not unlike the Mirror Universe. Same people, but different events and outcomes, while existing simultaneously alongside the existing Trek universe.
I don't know why, but to me, that somehow makes it even worse. I'd've had more respect for JJ if he'd just said "I've got an idea for a sci-fi movie..." and did that as something totally independant, rather than having to use the Trek legacy as an easy way of gain viewers. I wonder what Laurentian Phenomenon will be featured next...