Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152
# 631
12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrynwoodsrunner View Post
There's actually very little to do with the fact that she's Vulcan, although it does factor in somewhat. The main 'hate' is that is just plain bad art (sorry Original Artist, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em). Far too many things that should never have been allowed to pass on a production piece.

To sum up a few:

  1. Body position is awkward and skewed, making her look like she's about to fall on her face, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. Her center of balance is too far forward, and her body angle is way off-center for a running pose.
  2. Her firing line is random...no direction indicated. Simply adjusting the direction her eyes are looking would improve this. Right now, she's just shootin' off in any ol' direction...hardly proper for any law enforcement or military personnel.
  3. Her expression is almost totally vacant. While Vulcans are masters of suppression and control of emotion, they are not totally devoid of it. T'Boob looks like a cross between Kristen Stewart reading her bad press and a toddler who just got her favorite toy taken away.
  4. Boobs. I like boobs. Just about everyone likes boobs. Or they lie about it. But there's a place for boobs, and it isn't pouring out of a Starfleet uniform. At least not in the quantity being poured. While I'm sure an argument could be leveled for large-breasted Vulcan women in Starfleet, or extremely low-cut or daringly open uniform closures, neither are necessary here, and in fact only add to the top-heavy and off-balance look of the subject. She could have just as easily been a C-cup with less visible cleavage and been attractive, instead of a Triple-D defying physics against whatever magical technology is holding that uniform as closed as it is.

Now, those things being listed, it doesn't matter if she's a Vulcan, an Orion, or a Human. The above still apply. The only thing that would allow for any variance would be #4, because an Orion wouldn't be likely to be in a Starfleet uniform, and would thus have more allowance given for wardrobe...flexibility.

While the background of the piece is done quite well, the female subject, in the opinion of many, simply doesn't convey what we feel is the attitude of the Star Trek franchise. Star Trek is about 'Boldly going where no one has gone before' (Handsome Phaser Guy), not 'Help me because I'm a vacuous twit who doesn't know what she's doing' (Pretty Phaser Lady).

Nothing about her says 'bold' or 'confident', everything about her says 'incompetent' and 'clumsy'.

And that's why many, including myself, feel she's not an appropriate iconic for the Star Trek Universe, or the game.

Alright I see your point, But for the "shooting in any ole' direction" thing it maybe telling "something" I mean she may be provideing covering fire for her away team while running to cover, its just a guess and my opion but i understand . But the main reason why I like the Vulcan is that she almost looks EXACTLY(uniform needed) like my main character on STO. Hair color, eyes, facial features, ect. I mean its like shes become famous, a shame shes being hated but again understandable.

Last edited by dom1941; 12-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
# 632
12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1941 View Post
Alright I see your point, But for the "shooting in any ole' direction" thing it maybe telling "something" I mean she may be providing covering fire for her away team while running to cover, its just a guess and my opinion but i understand .
This is gonna go off topic for a moment, and for that, I apologize. I'll bring it back on track at the end, I promise. I'm just really enjoying the conversation.

Just for the sake of discussion, providing cover fire -while- in motion? That's very Hollywood. In all my prior military exercises, cover fire was provided from...you guessed it...cover! Members of the Fire Team would provide cover fire from position while others moved. Then those individuals would provide cover fire while the ones who were covering move to the new position. At no time while you're firing is your attention on anything other than where you're firing. Even in the rare situation where you -must- move and fire at the same time, you set your travel path mentally ahead of time, and -still- watch your firing line while you move.

Watch this gunfight scene. (It's from the Season 3 finale of Leverage)

With the exception of one shot during the main fight, and the end where it goes completely Hollywood Cowboy, you'll see that Eliot has plotted his movement to where he can focus on aiming while moving, not moving while shooting. It's a decent example of what I'm talking about. His eyes are tracking his targets, not his movement. And they are -never- looking directly at the camera, which T'Boob is most definitely doing.

Don't get me wrong...I like the Vulcan. I just don't like the execution of the piece, because professional art should provide professional result, and in my assessment as an art professional, it doesn't measure up...too many glaring errors.

I'm sure if I had a large enough copy of the original, and some time in Photoshop, I could edit her to remove some of those errors. But I'm already a starving artist...I certainly can't afford to work for free. *grin*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152
# 633
12-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrynwoodsrunner View Post
This is gonna go off topic for a moment, and for that, I apologize. I'll bring it back on track at the end, I promise. I'm just really enjoying the conversation.

Just for the sake of discussion, providing cover fire -while- in motion? That's very Hollywood. In all my prior military exercises, cover fire was provided from...you guessed it...cover! Members of the Fire Team would provide cover fire from position while others moved. Then those individuals would provide cover fire while the ones who were covering move to the new position. At no time while you're firing is your attention on anything other than where you're firing. Even in the rare situation where you -must- move and fire at the same time, you set your travel path mentally ahead of time, and -still- watch your firing line while you move.

Watch this gunfight scene. (It's from the Season 3 finale of Leverage)

With the exception of one shot during the main fight, and the end where it goes completely Hollywood Cowboy, you'll see that Eliot has plotted his movement to where he can focus on aiming while moving, not moving while shooting. It's a decent example of what I'm talking about. His eyes are tracking his targets, not his movement. And they are -never- looking directly at the camera, which T'Boob is most definitely doing.

Don't get me wrong...I like the Vulcan. I just don't like the execution of the piece, because professional art should provide professional result, and in my assessment as an art professional, it doesn't measure up...too many glaring errors.

I'm sure if I had a large enough copy of the original, and some time in Photoshop, I could edit her to remove some of those errors. But I'm already a starving artist...I certainly can't afford to work for free. *grin*
Lol ok, I can see that, so sorry for takeing the topic...off topic...anyways I PERSONALY like the Vulcan because she looks EXACTLY like my main character...with out that uniform though...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
# 634
12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1941 View Post
Lol ok, I can see that, so sorry for takeing the topic...off topic...anyways I PERSONALY like the Vulcan because she looks EXACTLY like my main character...with out that uniform though...
Hey, I have no trouble with it...like I said, I'm enjoying the discussion.

But, let's get this train back on the rails, shall we?

I spent exactly six minutes and 47 seconds in Photoshop...a VERY quick and dirty edit, using the largest size wallpaper as a base.

Here's a cropped and downsized clip of the original, with the 'thousand-yard stare' looking right at the camera:


Now here's the quick and dirty edit, making her look where she's firing. That is the ONLY change I made:


See the difference? Just that minor change makes her look infinitely more proficient. Sure, she still looks like she's going to cry, and she's still falling on her face...but by the gods, she IS going to hit what she's aiming at, because she's ACTUALLY AIMING!

So, what have we learned, cats and kittens? One of the primary rules of art: Unless you're doing a portrait, your subject should NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE 'CAMERA'.

Seriously...that's basic art class.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152
# 635
12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrynwoodsrunner View Post
Hey, I have no trouble with it...like I said, I'm enjoying the discussion.

But, let's get this train back on the rails, shall we?

I spent exactly six minutes and 47 seconds in Photoshop...a VERY quick and dirty edit, using the largest size wallpaper as a base.

Here's a cropped and downsized clip of the original, with the 'thousand-yard stare' looking right at the camera:


Now here's the quick and dirty edit, making her look where she's firing. That is the ONLY change I made:


See the difference? Just that minor change makes her look infinitely more proficient. Sure, she still looks like she's going to cry, and she's still falling on her face...but by the gods, she IS going to hit what she's aiming at, because she's ACTUALLY AIMING!

So, what have we learned, cats and kittens? One of the primary rules of art: Unless you're doing a portrait, your subject should NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE 'CAMERA'.

Seriously...that's basic art class.
Well, your ceratinly right about that! nice work btw, sorry if I caused any trouble not my intent at all, just a matter of opion, though for the crying bit theres ways to give her less "twinkle" i dont know how but theres ways.

Last edited by dom1941; 12-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21
# 636
12-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I agree. Merely changing the position of her eyes makes her look 120% less dim-witted while firing that phaser.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,339
# 637
12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
It's worse than we thought.







She's taking over Handsome Phaser Guy's ads now as well.

Last edited by psycoticvulcan; 12-16-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 638
12-16-2012, 10:30 PM
It's a good thing gamers and Trekkers don't have a rep for being socially retarded and emotionally stunted man boys who can't deal with women like humans because that ad would just be embarrassing in that case.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 587
# 639
12-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
It's a good thing gamers and Trekkers don't have a rep for being socially retarded and emotionally stunted man boys who can't deal with women like humans because that ad would just be embarrassing in that case.
What, you mean like this?
"I like the white-haired Cora with the sword and lack of substantial clothing."
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,943
# 640
12-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
It's a good thing gamers and Trekkers don't have a rep for being socially retarded and emotionally stunted man boys who can't deal with women like humans because that ad would just be embarrassing in that case.
We want to treat women like humans, Cryptic isn't making it easy, by displaying that thing on the front page.
Also shes a Romulan/Vulcan not human
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 AM.