Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 161
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Not exactly
They were "Riker gets his way" films directed by Frakes
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,652
# 162
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
If you want to get technical, ST09 only made 2.5 times the budget, not 3 to 1. However, inflation has nothing to do with the fact that it made a higher return on investment than the previous 2 films before it, which were both part of the "original timeline" that we all know and love.
'If' I wanted to get technical But technical or otherwise, ST2009 still did very well

And if I could tell people that inflation didn't matter to that point, and they'd actually listen/believe me, I would
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 163
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
If you are referring to every individual person, that is correct. Just because vanilla is a popular flavor does not mean every individual person thinks it tastes good. However, the reason vanilla is so popular is because most people do think it tastes good. Therefore the majority opinion is that vanilla tastes good.

Likewise, both the majority of critics and viewers thought the 09 movie was good. Therefore the majority opinion is that the movie was good. If you dont fall into that majority, then obviously you do not share that opinion, which is fine. But when you say the 09 movie was not good, the majority opinion says you are wrong.

What do all of those opinions actually mean? They directly influence what happens next. If the majority of people had not liked the 09 movie, then it would not have made enough money to get a sequel. However, since the majority of people did like it, we have another one coming out next year. And it is in that way that the majority "win". No matter how much you may post about not liking the 09 movie, the majority are getting their sequel next year
The majority opinion is that Boba Fett is a badass. The evidence of Return of the Jedi proves otherwise... Just saying, that the majority is not always right

Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
Whoops, I missed this in my previous reply. So here is the 09 movie and the last 2 before it, when comparing budget vs box office:

ST09: 150mil vs 385mil

Nemesis: 60mil vs 67mil

Insurrection: 58mil vs 112mil

So the 09 movie did in fact make a higher return on investment than the last 2 Trek films that came before it, even if it did not make as a high a return as the ones before those. But since you said "compared to ANY of the previous movies", you would be mistaken
Sir, I stand corrected
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
# 164
12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
The majority opinion is that Boba Fett is a badass. The evidence of Return of the Jedi proves otherwise... Just saying, that the majority is not always right
I know you really like the Boba Fett comparison, but the fact is there is no real way to know what the "majority" think about him. There is no site comparable to metacritic that compiles reviews and averages them out for a specific fictional character. Because of that, you are making an applies to oranges comparison. Sorry
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 165
12-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
I know you really like the Boba Fett comparison, but the fact is there is no real way to know what the "majority" think about him. There is no site comparable to metacritic that compiles reviews and averages them out for a specific fictional character. Because of that, you are making an applies to oranges comparison. Sorry
Allow me to rephrase: In my experience, the majority of the people I have encounterd ( OL and IRL) think that Boba Fett is a badass, despite the evidence of his incompetence
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,028
# 166
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Allow me to rephrase: In my experience, the majority of the people I have encounterd ( OL and IRL) think that Boba Fett is a badass, despite the evidence of his incompetence
Even badasses have off-days.
----
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,254
# 167
12-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Actually vanilla tastes Foul
Exactly betawatcher's point. Is vanilla a good flavor? Some (like me) say it is, others (like you) say it isn't. Neither of us is "right", because it's all a matter of personal opinion.

Same with the Abrams movie. Some (like me) say it is good; others (like you) say it isn't. Neither of us is "right", because it's all a matter of personal opinion.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
# 168
12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Allow me to rephrase: In my experience, the majority of the people I have encounterd ( OL and IRL) think that Boba Fett is a badass, despite the evidence of his incompetence
Whether or not people think Boba is a "badass" or not doesnt actually matter, because, for whatever reasons, the character has risen to popularity and all the people who like him get to enjoy all the different video games and comics and books he appears in. Thats all that really matters for them.

Likewise, whether or not you may like the 09 movie doesnt actually matter, because the movie is liked by enough people that more movies are being made, meaning all the people who did like it get to enjoy the sequels. No amount of complaining about how much you dont like it will keep the people who do like it from enjoying it and the next movie. And thats all that really matters for them

Last edited by betawatcher; 12-12-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 169
12-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
Whether or not people think Boba is a "badass" or not doesnt actually matter, because, for whatever reasons, the character has risen to popularity and all the people who like him get to enjoy all the different video games and comics and books he appears in. Thats all that really matters for them.

Likewise, whether or not you may like the 09 movie doesnt actually matter, because the movie is liked by enough people that more movies are being made, meaning all the people who did like it get to enjoy the sequels. No amount of complaining about how much you dont like it will keep the people who do like it from enjoying it and the next movie. And thats all that really matters for them
Yes. But that still does not mean that they are actually good, merely popular
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,902
# 170
12-13-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure I would understand the convoluted reasoning that explains how something popular can be no good, since to be popular it must be good enough.
To be fair to Abrams, Star Trek has a fanatical following so religiously devoted to Star Trek cannon that it can stifle creativity, so I can understand his efforts to "burn the bible" to have freedom to make new stories, with that in mind I'm hoping that Cumberbatch's character is something new and not a rehash of an old Star Trek villain.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM.