Rihannsu
# 1 What is an Atrox in Caitian?
12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
We all know the wonderful Atrox class carriers that the Caitians built... but what is an Atrox after which this ship class was named? Any fancy ideas?

Judging from other Caitian names we know of, it is not a more or less modern era Caitian personal name.

Considering that the whole word does not sound all that Caitian, I would put my bets on a mythological figure of some kind, much like Greek or Roman mythological figures don't sound very much like any modern language (not even modern Greek).

The nature of the ship is such that it is very large, and uses "Stalker" fighters. So maybe "Atrox" was a god of the hunt?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Ensign
# 2
12-13-2012, 07:40 AM
It's a latin word which means terrible, cruel. In my country we study latin language
Rihannsu
# 3
12-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astantis View Post
It's a latin word which means terrible, cruel. In my country we study latin language
Yes, it is, but obviously the Caitians are not into Latin with their ship names, are they.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ensign
# 4
12-13-2012, 09:00 AM
think it translates into "Space Brick" in kitty language or "clumping things in a litterbox"
Captain
# 5
12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
I believe it is "Can haz cheezburger plz" in ancient lolcatian
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Rihannsu
# 7
12-14-2012, 03:13 AM
Hm, what if the name "Atrox" actually is Latin?

We know that the original Caitan carriers were modified by Starfleet to get additional Sci ship benefits like subsystem targetting. If the Atrox carriers are a new class, they could very well have been named after the Latin adjective...
Career Officer
# 8
12-14-2012, 07:12 AM
If you look at it from certain angle, you see what it means.

( I'd tell ya, but GM's are lurking. >=3 )
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Non stop crashing and epic lagging are helpful in telling me it's time for bed or to go outside and get a life.
Lieutenant
# 9
12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
I believe it is "Can haz cheezburger plz" in ancient lolcatian
Hmmm good name xD
Commander
# 10
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabelgrave View Post
Panthera atrox is the extinct American Lion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lion
Exactly....give this man a cigar.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/