Even badasses have off-days.
That's true... I guess Boba had been partying too hard the night before
Lt. Commander
# 172
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Yes. But that still does not mean that they are actually good, merely popular
When it comes to movies, there is no way to definitely say that anything is "good" or not, since that is a matter of opinion. However, it is possible to say what the popular opinion of a movie is based on reviews and ratings, and the popular opinion about the 09 movie is that it was good.

It is obvious you do not agree with the popular opinion, and that is fine. One person's opinion is no greater than any other persons opinion. However 10 people's opinions carry more weight than 1 person's opinion, so whether you like it or not(which you obviously dont), the majority opinion is that the 09 movie was good, and no matter how many times you post or nothing you ever say will change that
Captain
# 173
12-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I'm not sure I would understand the convoluted reasoning that explains how something popular can be no good, since to be popular it must be good enough.
I wasn't meaning that because something is popular it is not good, I was meaning, that because something is popular, that does not necessarily mean that it is also good.

Examples:
Boba Fett: Hellishly popular and built up in the EU. When viewed as per screen appearance, he's pretty incompetent. Jango Fett, on the other hand, was able to fight Obi-Wan to a standstill. The fact that Obi-Wan had a lightsaber and Force abilities made absolutely no difference to him. Okay, fine, he got his head cut off by Master Windu, but to be fair, he had just been stampeded by some beast That's showing that the son was a mere shadow of the father.

Highlander: Cult Classic movie. Yet it was so panned at the time that Queen refused to release the soundtrack album in conjunction to the film, and instead released the album Its a Kind of Magic. I love Highlander, but I know that it's not perfect, and can understand why some might dislike it. The Highlander genre is popular, but to be honest, it's pretty trashy.
(Not sure about the idea of a remake or Ryan Reynolds portraying Connor [even though I like Reynolds as an actor...)

Doctor Who (Russel T Davies/Steven Moffatt)
Without question massively popular. But Moffatt's stuff has got so bad, I don't even watch it anymore. I won't watch Doctor Who again until they either 1. Bring David Tennant back full time as The Doctor or 2. Bring in a new actor as the 12th Doctor (DAVID BOWIE!!!!! )

I wasn't saying that popularity automatically makes something bad, I was just pointing out that popularity doesn't automatically make something good

Quote:
To be fair to Abrams, Star Trek has a fanatical following so religiously devoted to Star Trek cannon that it can stifle creativity
I think the New Frontier and Titan series of novels might refute that point, however, I do think that the Star Trek universe has effectively 'told its tales' and should be allowed to rest. That doesn't mean it needs re-making though...

Quote:
with that in mind I'm hoping that Cumberbatch's character is something new and not a rehash of an old Star Trek villain.
Ditto. I think a re-working would just be lazy, and possibly insulting to all involved, I would equally much rather see a totally new villain.
Empire Veteran
# 174
12-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Ditto. I think a re-working would just be lazy, and possibly insulting to all involved, I would equally much rather see a totally new villain.
For all we know, they could be throwing a new villian at us

Of course, with the new trailer and 9 mins due to come out tomorrow with The Hobbit (normal and IMAX showings, respectively), it's probably best we see those first See what's new, then speculate from there
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
# 175
12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
For all we know, they could be throwing a new villian at us

Of course, with the new trailer and 9 mins due to come out tomorrow with The Hobbit (normal and IMAX showings, respectively), it's probably best we see those first See what's new, then speculate from there
Sounds like a plan
Captain
# 176
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Now that the Hobbit is out, anyone care to share the madness that they have witnessed?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 177
12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Now that the Hobbit is out, anyone care to share the madness that they have witnessed?
Parts were what we're already seen, but there was an extended version of Kirk + McCoy running on that all-red-plants planet and jumping off the cliff. Someone in an EV-type suit was moving down a rope through a debris field (probably Spock), and the Enterprise appeared to be straining against some kind of impact (no bright light from attack though). Benedicts character was in a brig, alone, and there was a hand touching glass, with another touching the other side (call back, but it's the same scene from the extended Japanese teaser)

Sorry, but that's all I remember, initially. I'll have to look at the youtube version someone will inevitably put up for a closer look. But perhaps others will remember more
Captain
# 178
12-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Parts were what we're already seen, but there was an extended version of Kirk + McCoy running on that all-red-plants planet and jumping off the cliff. Someone in an EV-type suit was moving down a rope through a debris field (probably Spock), and the Enterprise appeared to be straining against some kind of impact (no bright light from attack though). Benedicts character was in a brig, alone, and there was a hand touching glass, with another touching the other side (call back, but it's the same scene from the extended Japanese teaser)

Sorry, but that's all I remember, initially. I'll have to look at the youtube version someone will inevitably put up for a closer look. But perhaps others will remember more
That doesn't help at all.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 179
12-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
That doesn't help at all.
Somehow I'm not surprised XD Hopefully that closer look I mentioned will reveal more
Captain
# 180
12-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Somehow I'm not surprised XD Hopefully that closer look I mentioned will reveal more
Here's hoping.