Captain
# 1891
12-13-2012, 08:20 AM
star wars is now Free to play?!?!?!!??!!?!?

what?!

when?

how?

hunh?!

Oh man if this is true, I hope to God the almighty that my computer can handle the graphics!

I luv star wars KOTOR 1 and 2, but my old xbox is ruined

yaaaaay! Thanks for the info!
Career Officer
# 1892
12-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Personally I think SWTOR's problems have nothing to do with the f2p model, that's just icing on the garbage cake. If you aren't killing something there's no reason to even log in. The space is not even good enough to be called a joke.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Career Officer
# 1893
12-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity2705 View Post
SWTOR is a brilliant RPG game that has been somewhat handicapped by a poor F2P model. Though if you are willing to invest a bit of cash into the game i think you will find it probably has the best story driven leveling out of any MMO. The endgame content isn't the best but overall its still alot to offer.
Pretty much sums it up. Probably one of the better leveling story-lines to play regardless of class, their all pretty good.

The FTP launch was supposed to be like a Phoenix rising from the ashes....but then it ended up like someone put out its flame with a CO2 fire extinguisher, ie: It fell flat on its face.

The restrictions are horrible, unable to craft decent items, can't run, only allowed 2 quick-bars (when you need at least 4 for endgame content to mention a few. The space battles are like a roller coaster, kind of thrilling, but the car stays on rails. No free flight involved. Just move your targeting cursor and let the game drive your ship.

The fanboi's scream about how people are complaining about being able to play for free, but I liken it to someone giving you a book that's at the top of the bestseller list, then taking out all the a,e,i,o's and u's. Sure, you can read the whole book, but its going to be a long, boring process with no enjoyment to look forward to.

Last edited by thebumble; 12-13-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Lieutenant
# 1894
12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
I must say, I'm playing it (free) and it is completely different compared to STO.

SWTOR is a real mmo while STO (which i prefer) is more singleplayer in a mmo jacket.

You can do missions on your own, if you die, you don't need to run and kill those npc's again..

In swtor, if you die, you need to run five minutes again and kill those enemies over and over again.

Also STO is really a free game, if you want something special like a new ship or that cool jacket, you need to pay but you can achieve that through multiple ways.

In swtor, you really need to start paying for some liberty like extended bars or so etc..

I'm playing it just fo the fun but not the same way like i play sto.
Career Officer
# 1895
12-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I played it when it first came out and enjoyed it. But I got bored quickly. The game seems like it was planning to be much more but than settled for a quick paycheck. The company keeps emailing me as if now is my chance to come back (FOR FREE), yet whenever I check on it, nothing has really changed in the game (that caused me to quit), and I'd be coming back to an environment that would essentially punish me for not paying the full price to play like I was doing before.

Therefore, I'll stick with STO, having paid for a lifetime membership and just enjoying the Star Trek universe that much more.
Vice Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Sarbonn-D
Vice Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Never Surrender
Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=93579366000&dateline=  1354720945
Starfleet Veteran
# 1896
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
From what I see...lots of people overall seem to be happier in SWTOR than STO. Check the forums and see how happier people are with the changes. Check Forums on STO and only thing you see are disgruntled players who are sick of grinding for anything that is remotely free

I know forums might give an skew picture of reality but certainly you can see how people really feel about the MMO
Career Officer
# 1897
12-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader2007 View Post
From what I see...lots of people overall seem to be happier in SWTOR than STO. Check the forums and see how happier people are with the changes. Check Forums on STO and only thing you see are disgruntled players who are sick of grinding for anything that is remotely free

I know forums might give an skew picture of reality but certainly you can see how people really feel about the MMO
Yep - exceedingly happy, now P2W issues...oh, wait...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=569897

No Cartel store complaints...oh, wait...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=571411

No threadnaughts aabout the cyrrent state of the game, complaints about poor Customer service or in game bug handling...oh, waot...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...552114&page=35

So, yeah, go read the SWToR forums and you'll find that they're very much like these very forums with players complaining about a variety of stuff, players defending a variety of stufff, etc. All in all they don't seem any more or less satsfied then we (or any MMO is) these days.

The one thing to keep in mind though.

To post on SWToR's forums you HAVE to have a active subscription. Just making a certain level of purchases, or playing the game for 20+ real world hours isn't enough (which I believe is still the case on the STO forums, IE you do have to have spent $5.00 real world dollars on Zen, or have 20+ hours played to post on these forums, but an active sub isn't required.). So mixed in with these SWToR bposts are posters who don't understand why BioWare took SWToR F2P in the first place, and have a real disdain for F2P polayers in general.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 1898
12-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebumble View Post
Pretty much sums it up. Probably one of the better leveling story-lines to play regardless of class, their all pretty good.

The FTP launch was supposed to be like a Phoenix rising from the ashes....but then it ended up like someone put out its flame with a CO2 fire extinguisher, ie: It fell flat on its face.

The restrictions are horrible, unable to craft decent items, can't run, only allowed 2 quick-bars (when you need at least 4 for endgame content to mention a few. The space battles are like a roller coaster, kind of thrilling, but the car stays on rails. No free flight involved. Just move your targeting cursor and let the game drive your ship.

The fanboi's scream about how people are complaining about being able to play for free, but I liken it to someone giving you a book that's at the top of the bestseller list, then taking out all the a,e,i,o's and u's. Sure, you can read the whole book, but its going to be a long, boring process with no enjoyment to look forward to.
Agreed. Just tried the game, the F2P model's KILLING me.

Still, the game itself isn't bad, and they have DEDICATED RP SERVERS!!! WHEEE!

You know what'd be a perfect game? TOR's gameplay (with free movement in space, though) combined with STO's F2P model. Also, crypticarmsman, thanks for explaining why I couldn't post on the forums. Just stupid, isn't it? We ARE players after all.

The only problem I'm facing right now is the fact that I'm unable to play TOR while getting that Chel Grett. I -may- have solved that problem through some cleverly targeted bribery, though. (I convinced my younger brother to do the races for me while I play TOR )

Edit: Oh, and again in response to crypticarmsman's post: I actually encountered some REALLY bitter subscribers back on Tython yesterday.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Commander
# 1899
12-14-2012, 01:45 AM
TOR's F2P model is a joke. The only good thing about it is that you can play through your entire class storyline without paying.

Well, that's if you can get around the lack of toolbar space, lower XP, not being able to equip the best loot, being unable to run, limited access to PvP and instances... The list goes on. My personal favourite restrictions, however, are the idiotic and pointless ones. Want to equip a title? You need to be subscribed. Want extra bag space? Pay up, or subscribe. And they best one yet. Want to access your bank? That's right... subscribe!!!
Captain
# 1900
12-14-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm currently giving it a shot, and I actually find it rather enjoyable.

Particularly if you get preferred status (make a single purchase in the store, 4 bucks in my case). That way you get 4 toolbars, cargo space, running at level 1 (which you would also get for free at level 15, btw), second crew skill and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting right now.
Hardly any of the remaining restrictions I experience as blatantly extortionist...

Then again, I am mostly a single player game kind of person, that might help. I suppose that it would be different if you play it for the 'raid'-grinding or pvp, as you only get a couple of those each week, and if you play it like that, you'd probably also want to equip the best gear.

Me, I just play it for the story, which is pretty nice, and doesn't really force you to buy anything. I sure haven't found anything in the store I need...