Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
Since this week's change, many players are now playing Foundry missions to earn 960 dilithium, 50 FMs, and random drops of fairly good loot (per mission), using the new Officer Reports mission. I'd really like to hear from some of you folks.

Both good and bad... what are your impressions of these missions? What are you enjoying and not enjoying? Will you continue to play user-generated-content after this weekend? Why or why not?

Thanks for the feedback both good and bad.

ps. If you are not one of these people, please don't turn this thread into a debate about why you won't play Foundry, etc. If you prefer to earn your stuff by other means, so be it. I'd just like to hear from the folks who are playing Foundry missions (kind of) for the first time.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 2
12-14-2012, 07:04 PM
I've been playing Foundry missions for a while. Some are a bit long-winded, but a lot of those top-rated missions are there for a reason. Most of them also break away from Cryptic's typical three-act structure of Space, Ground, Space, and really do interesting things.

One sticks out in my mind that I played a long time ago. Can't remember the name of the mission for the life of me, but basically your ship was repeatedly destroyed by Klingon forces as you were stuck in a temporal loop -- a common, boring tool used in the TV show, but actually very interesting when it's happening to you.

The foundry definitely provides some of the best story content the game has to offer.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 413
# 3
12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
One sticks out in my mind that I played a long time ago. Can't remember the name of the mission for the life of me, but basically your ship was repeatedly destroyed by Klingon forces as you were stuck in a temporal loop -- a common, boring tool used in the TV show, but actually very interesting when it's happening to you.
First Cause, Then Effect, most likely. I tried that one last night at the recommendation of a fleetmate - it was the first time I'd done any foundry content - and thought it was very well done.

I'll probably check out missions that get spotlighted as actually being good whenever that feature gets fixed, but I don't really have the patience to try out missions that no one has tested and might end up being completely terrible.

Last edited by thepantsparty; 12-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 845
# 4
12-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
First Cause, Then Effect, most likely. I tried that one last night at the recommendation of a fleetmate - it was the first time I'd done any foundry content - and thought it was very well done.

I'll probably check out missions that get spotlighted as actually being good whenever that feature gets fixed, but I don't really have the patience to try out missions that no one has tested and might end up being completely terrible.
You don't really need to worry about playing missions that no one has tested. If you just start going down the list, any mission with more than probably 3.5 stars is going to have been played and tested. Missions don't appear on the main list until they've gotten 5 reviews, so generally a broken mission will have a very low average rating by that point.

If you're really worried about wasting your time just make sure a mission has at least 20 or so plays, by which point the rating should be pretty accurate.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 12-14-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 440
# 5
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
The foundry missions are really well made and with the new repeatable gives me more reason to run them (been running them since foundry came online thou). Only gripe is the rewards for the mission need to be dynamic to the played mission time:

  • 20-30min - what its now
  • 30-40min - 1.5x
  • 40-50min - 2x
  • 50-60min - 2.5x
  • 60min+ - 3x
This would add more reason to play the longer missions for those that enjoy them and reward the time spent for playing them in a fair manner.


I myself prefer the 20min-30min range for missions; not too short that you feel like your not getting the story but not too long that you start skipping through dialogue to get through it. On that note aswell I wish there was an option to increase the font size of the test in the dialogue boxes as sometimes I can barely read the text on my screen with how I have my UI scale setup >.>
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 235
# 6
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I haven't played a great many (I keep meaning to, but I haven't done all the regular storyline missions yet, either. Plus, distracted by the holiday stuff), but the one thing that's bugged me so far is numerous scene changes...... not for any plot reasons, but solely because the game engine takes so loooooong to load things. Just like with the random "Explore Unknown System" missions.

(some of the missions I've played have been quite interesting, but it's kind of annoying to spend 30 minutes on a mission, with ten minutes of it being loading screens because you keep bouncing back between your bridge, space, a station, space, your bridge, space, other space, a station, space, your bridge....... )



Is there any way to improve this, or is it just inherent to STO's engine?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 7
12-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiralyn View Post
I haven't played a great many (I keep meaning to, but I haven't done all the regular storyline missions yet, either. Plus, distracted by the holiday stuff), but the one thing that's bugged me so far is numerous scene changes...... not for any plot reasons, but solely because the game engine takes so loooooong to load things. Just like with the random "Explore Unknown System" missions.

(some of the missions I've played have been quite interesting, but it's kind of annoying to spend 30 minutes on a mission, with ten minutes of it being loading screens because you keep bouncing back between your bridge, space, a station, space, your bridge, space, other space, a station, space, your bridge....... )



Is there any way to improve this, or is it just inherent to STO's engine?
There has definitely been an increase in loading time for map transitions. We have no idea why and it's not something we (Foundry authors) can control. Hopefully, someone at Cryptic knows why Foundry load times are stretching into the unreasonable.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 8
12-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm back after a long absence, and love the idea of Foundry. The new reward scheme definitely encourages me to try it.

My one ... not concern, so much as eyebrow raise, is that sometimes missions seem awfully easy.

I assume this is due to the limited scaling Cryptic's system can do, considering I'm 50 with purple gear.

(It's noticeable after, say, playing the New Romulus Warehouse mission and getting killed several times, then breezing through the 'doom dangerous' stuff in a Foundry mission)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 9
12-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
I'm back after a long absence, and love the idea of Foundry. The new reward scheme definitely encourages me to try it.

My one ... not concern, so much as eyebrow raise, is that sometimes missions seem awfully easy.

I assume this is due to the limited scaling Cryptic's system can do, considering I'm 50 with purple gear.

(It's noticeable after, say, playing the New Romulus Warehouse mission and getting killed several times, then breezing through the 'doom dangerous' stuff in a Foundry mission)
We can't really test it, whether it's hard or easy. For example, my own mission in my sig... well, I can't even complete it myself, but I'm getting reviews that it is far too easy for you guys and gals with all your gear.

We just sort of have to aim at the average player or else we'll get one-stars for being way too hard.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,476
# 10
12-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
I'm back after a long absence, and love the idea of Foundry. The new reward scheme definitely encourages me to try it.

My one ... not concern, so much as eyebrow raise, is that sometimes missions seem awfully easy.

I assume this is due to the limited scaling Cryptic's system can do, considering I'm 50 with purple gear.

(It's noticeable after, say, playing the New Romulus Warehouse mission and getting killed several times, then breezing through the 'doom dangerous' stuff in a Foundry mission)
I have noted that when designing a mission, a lot of authors tend to design toward the player without the leet skills and great gear, often times making it almost too easy for someone with good gear and skills.

My inclination is to go the other way with it and make combats difficult where I can.
I want to force you to respawn ... at least once.
I want getting through my fights without respawning to mean that you are indeed a bad mother f'er.
I can't handle my own fights sometimes.

I do think that overall designing for the player who doesn't have the best stuffs is probably better than my approach, I'm just a jerk
Play with that respawn button, ya babies
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 PM.