Captain
# 1 children characters?
12-15-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm still new at this Foundry stuff. Yet as I create my second episode, I'm wondering when they will allow children characters to be created?

I think having children characters not only available for people to place in there mission maps in the Foundry, would be cool, because then you could make an episode where you have to go save a child from the klingons or something, Yet it would be cool for them to also have them at the space stations.

Cause it would make it more realistic too. You have to question, why are there no kids on DS9?

lol

Did the borg assimilate them all?

anyhow just an idea.
Captain
# 2
12-15-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't think they will ever be available as asset. In videogames, children can't die. In bethesda game they are essential, and can't be harm for example.
In foundry missions, even if they are friendly NPC they can get killed one way or another (enemies, removed the ground so they fall...). You can even have a way to torture them (pain animation + some electricity).
So no, it won't happen.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
12-15-2012, 01:37 AM
There are no children presets but you still can create children characters via a custom costume setting. Create an "Alien" set height to children size keep head at adult dimensions and voila you have a simple human child.

This can be configured to create children of most other races.
Captain
# 4
12-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Having children characters opens up many potential problems. For example, the Fallout games are banned in certain countries (like Germany where STO is very popular) simply because there are child characters and it is possibile to attack them in game.

Plus this is a game with UGC content: I can just see the "Klingon School Shooting" foundry mission that gets the game pulled in multiple countries and the ####-storm that errupts over it. This is a no-go.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Not to mention the "weirdo" factor

I have seen some Very Wierd user generated missions in some games (neverwinter nights for example)
Captain
# 6
12-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
There are no children presets but you still can create children characters via a custom costume setting. Create an "Alien" set height to children size keep head at adult dimensions and voila you have a simple human child.

This can be configured to create children of most other races.

The trick to this is getting the sliders right. Bigger heads, eyes, smaller noses and hands and chins. To be honest, I've only really tried my hand at it once, and I've had luck making teens. But, that's about it.
Captain
# 7
12-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I've contemplated this for horror theme missions (nothing is as creepy as creepy kids).
Captain
# 8
12-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I understand the reluctance-there are a few things that hit pretty universal chords and "Kid in danger" is one that has some harsh effects. Imagine if they loosened it up, and in a mission you're presented the moral question caused by facing a group of borg-assimilated kids in the middle of a ground mission?

Parents in some jurisdictions would be rightly offended, and it wouldn't just be parents...
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

I play KDF, because being a genocidal maniac works better with Klingons, than explaining it as a member of Starfleet.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
If you want to do "infant in danger" put some horta eggs in a crate

and an assimilated child is distressing but not a moral question

De-assimilate