Empire Veteran
# 11
12-14-2012, 09:44 AM
"I made you fighters... but I eated them"?
Rihannsu
# 12
12-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958 View Post
Exactly....give this man a cigar.
How do you know for certain? Is there any dev statement about the Caitian Atrox carriers being named a Terran animal from prehistoric times?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
How do you know for certain? Is there any dev statement about the Caitian Atrox carriers being named a Terran animal from prehistoric times?
Being named after the largest lion (extinct) subspecies make sense than being called "Terrible". After all it could be the Starfleet who designated the refurbished carrier that name.
Rihannsu
# 14
12-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Yes, it makes sense, but actually... it'd be cool to know anything definitive about this. ^^
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain
# 15
12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I'd guess (not that up on my Caitian lore, sorry) that the "true" class name of the ship is something like Meow-meooo-merarr. Since us differently-evoloved humans do not speak Caitian, an "english/standard" reporting name was created, and Atrox is the lucky draw...

Heck, compared to other english reporting names ("Foxbat", anyone? Or "Fulcrum"?), Atrox sounds just fierce enough to invoke "Meow-meooo-merarr"...

(sorry if I inadvertently offended any Caitians with my rough-random typing of their language...)
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
12-15-2012, 03:54 PM
My Cat claims it means "Big scary Dog"
Rihannsu
# 17
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dareau View Post
I'd guess (not that up on my Caitian lore, sorry) that the "true" class name of the ship is something like Meow-meooo-merarr. Since us differently-evoloved humans do not speak Caitian, an "english/standard" reporting name was created, and Atrox is the lucky draw...

Heck, compared to other english reporting names ("Foxbat", anyone? Or "Fulcrum"?), Atrox sounds just fierce enough to invoke "Meow-meooo-merarr"...

(sorry if I inadvertently offended any Caitians with my rough-random typing of their language...)
Hm, I like that. Going one step further, maybe "atrox" is just the Latin translation of the original Caitian name...