Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Ensign
# 21
12-15-2012, 03:52 AM
[QUOTE

Well done to the devs, this change is great and my fed toons love playing a little rescue mission called 'The Corsiars'. Great mission with space combat and a great little story, a neat twist in one encounter as well. Can't remember the author but better than a lot of the patrol mission..[/quote]

For some strange reason this missions does not qualify any more.

Maybe someone at Cryptic could clarify the criteria used to to make a mission qualify and another similar not.

Finding "space combat" missions of 20 - 30 min length (don't like ground) that count for the Investigate O. R. is getting very difficult, specially on the KDF side.

Last edited by koyeja; 12-15-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Re corsairs - It doesn't count because people were completing it too quickly.

At least one of the triggers for a mission to count is duration. If a mission counts and you like to use it for the officer reports, it's in your interest to slow down so it doesn't complete in under 15m.

I've seen tons of missions that where counting switch to "not counting" as soon as they got out into the wild as a "easy/quick" mission.

Re missions in general, i'm open to playing more content that is in the 15-30m group. At the end of the day, if I'm purposely stalling completing a mission so it takes over 15m, it's not really any different to me playing one taking 15m.

I'm not a fan of hybrid missions. I prefer either all space or all ground
Captain
# 23
12-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Kirkfat

Your Orion avatar is very ugly looking. Am I supposed to just stare at her boobs and forget about the rest of whats going on in the pic, like a certain Vulcan girl we know?
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 24
12-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Stupid question, but if you leave a mission halfway through, does any progress get saved?

That's been my biggest reluctance toward doing multihour missions. (I have no problem otherwise -- again, my love of Foundry is for _STORY_, not phat lewt)
Captain
# 25
12-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
I have noted that when designing a mission, a lot of authors tend to design toward the player without the leet skills and great gear, often times making it almost too easy for someone with good gear and skills.

My inclination is to go the other way with it and make combats difficult where I can.
I want to force you to respawn ... at least once.
I want getting through my fights without respawning to mean that you are indeed a bad mother f'er.
I can't handle my own fights sometimes.

I do think that overall designing for the player who doesn't have the best stuffs is probably better than my approach, I'm just a jerk
Play with that respawn button, ya babies
DISAGREE. Dont be like Cryptic. i dont like Foundry missions that force even one respawn with my average gear. The very premise of dying too easily in STO has angered me, dont be like the idiot devs that think thats funny. I want a challenge yes, but I dont need Foundry NPCs gang raping me either just to make it harder. If a foundry author wants to dev their mission like Cryptic, then put a gear warning label in its description so I can stay away from it. Nothing makes me forget a good foundry story like respawning 2+ times in that mission.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 26
12-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I think some folks might want to go back and break their 30+ min missions up into multiple parts if they want a lot of people to play them. I'm just not going to play a single mission for that long, but I'll happily play it if you break it up to be long enough to reward the turnins but not longer than the cooldown timer.
Captain
# 27
12-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
DISAGREE. Dont be like Cryptic. i dont like Foundry missions that force even one respawn with my average gear. The very premise of dying too easily in STO has angered me, dont be like the idiot devs that think thats funny. I want a challenge yes, but I dont need Foundry NPCs gang raping me either just to make it harder. If a foundry author wants to dev their mission like Cryptic, then put a gear warning label in its description so I can stay away from it. Nothing makes me forget a good foundry story like respawning 2+ times in that mission.
Maybe you should read books instead of playing video games.
Career Officer
# 28
12-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
I'm actually not trying to make people respawn.
I typed that with tongue firmly in cheek.
It is very difficult to find the right combat balance, and I simply often err on the side of making a combat challenging enough that you might have to think about it some, which for some people ends up meaning a respawn.

Combat is incredibly difficult to balance with the tools we have available.
It's as simple as that.
Career Officer
# 29
12-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I played a mission last night, do not remember the name but it was by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R. My feed back was not to change the mission (I died upon loading in due to the arrangement of the bad guys) but instead to add to his mission briefing/snippet to bring friends.

I have played a couple missions by kirksplat, and they are indeed good. I have some ideas for missions, if I can't figure out how to make them work in the Foundry, I will write them up and send them to one of the notable Foundry authors, and see if they will do it.
Captain
# 30
12-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Post deleted by author. Nothing to see here... Move along...

I SAID MOVE ALONG!
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.