Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,026
# 221
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
The sad part is that I see more escorts healing cruisers than the other way around. I am one of the few Odysseys that will throw my heals to an escort regardless of how well I am doing. I have 5 share-able heals, usually which I give away in a heartbeat to someone else. If more cruisers actually gave their heals to escorts, you would see fewer escorts dying, and fewer of these threads coming up.

The one godsend is that plasma torps are slow. Not just the heavies, but the regular ones. More often than not, these insta kills are actually survive first hit, but plasma levels you in seconds. The way to counter that as a cruiser is you watch the torp, and right as it hits, you activate your HE, which will heal your target and kill the burn. Something else i like to do is I use Aux2SIF3 on a ship about to get hit, usually with maxed aux, since it gives a nice kinetic resist bonus. Then I shoot them an ET3 and HE1 and tell them to get the hell out of dodge. Works pretty well if they listen.
We really do need more of this type of play across the board. When I team with people I know for PvP's, this is second nature. People get healed by teammates within a second of taking focus fire from 5 members of the other team, and they stay alive. I promise you getting focus fired on my 5 real life players will kill you faster than a Borg cube can. If we can keep people alive through that, then y'all should be able to keep each other alive through the high damage borg hits. It just takes team work and fast reactions, both of which come with practice.

It's a good idea to drag your teammates' portraits closer to the center of the screen on the HUD so you don't have to shift your vision/attention all the way over to the edge of the screen to see when they need heals. Then use the Function keys (F2 through F5) to select the portrait that you see taking damage to send them a heal or two.
----
@DevolvedOne

Last edited by skurf; 12-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,610
# 222
12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
We really do need more of this type of play across the board. When I team with people I know for PvP's, this is second nature. People get healed by teammates within a second of taking focus fire from 5 members of the other team, and they stay alive. I promise you getting focus fired on my 5 real life players will kill you faster than a Borg cube can. If we can keep people alive through that, then y'all should be able to keep each other alive through the high damage borg hits. It just takes team work and fast reactions, both of which come with practice.

It's a good idea to drag your teammates' portraits closer to the center of the screen so you don't have to shift your vision/attention all the way over to the edge of the screen on the HUD to see when they need heals. Then use the Function keys (F2 through F5) to select the portrait that you see taking damage to send them a heal or two.
The only problem here is that when you get focus fired in PvP, it's multiple hits. Which can be counter-acted by a quick TT and ES/TSS/EPtSX. What these guys are dealing with and I have been subjected to as well are single massive hits, which regardless of how much healing you have, you can't get around. If the Borg did this with multiple hits, say this kind of damage over the space of 10-15 hits, it would be dealable. As is, it's single obscenely powerful hits. Not as easy to deal with. But if you're like me and fly with lots of neutronium, you shouldn't care too much XD.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,026
# 223
12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover2 View Post
Yeah, sorry. I run a retrofit defiant with kinetic armor + 2x plasma armor (when fighting borg), a field generator and Mk XII MACO shield, plus all damage resistance skills maxed out. I can be zipping along with hull and shields at 100% plus polarize hull, brace for impact, rotate shield frequency, jevonite hardpoints and subspace field modulator all rocking out, but NPC battleships from several races routinely 1-shot me outta nowhere, Borg in particular.

This is not a "Fix ur build and learn to play, n00b lololol" situation.
See, I just can't believe this. I have never died from a single hit when I've had max shields and hull, much less all the defensive buffs you mentioned. It will usually take me down to 20% hull if I am max health in my escort. If my shields are damaged and I take one of these hits, then yes, I have died. I think you and a lot of other people are exaggerating because you want them to nerf NPC damage instead of taking the time to learn better builds or tactics (or maybe you're just not realizing that your shields are damaged). Here's a tip: ditch the plasma resist consoles and put some more monotanium in there for STFs.
----
@DevolvedOne

Last edited by skurf; 12-14-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 294
# 224
12-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
this is from my combat log at the end of ISE:

[Combat (Self)] Tactical Cube's Plasma Torpedo dealt 1001 (6450) shield damage to you.

[Combat (Self)] Tactical Cube deals 913 (1222) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Torpedo.

[Combat (Self)] Tactical Cube deals 32452 (49738) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Torpedo.


the cube was destroyed prior to my death. I never saw the torpedo, I just exploded. Note this is not a critical hit or a high yield torpedo.
this has happened to me more than once, cube being alive or dead. I wish it wasn't so but its just plain broken.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 225
12-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaladar View Post
That is simply not true. There are invisible super high damage hits from the borg that either take your shields and hulls down extremely fast, making you vulnerable to any follow up attack or more often then not, kill you instantly.

That is not a discussion about proper builds because I have seen Bortas build extremely tanky and flown by an engineer get chewed up in no time, the claim that a properly fit tactical can survive this amount of damage is just ridiculous.
Anytime my tac escort dies to Borg it's because I did something stupid (ie sticking around at 50% hull when the Neg'var spawn in CSE, cause we know that we are going to eat an ISO for half our hull) or pressed my luck a little too long(ie hanging in the fight too long with my HE on cooldown and then disengaging only to watch a plasma dot kill me).

In fact, the only time I can remember in the last 6 months that I've died from complete and utter BS, was when I got ISO charged by a Raptor and a Neg'var at the same time. Hell if I know how a Raptor ISOed me.


These magical instant deaths everyone complains about are completely off my radar, probably because I constantly run Tac Team, EptS, and manually redistribute shields like your suppose to. Every time I see a video of these so-called one-shots, it's always someone completely at fault because they aren't running buffs or they completely ignore a Heavy Plasma Torp.

There is a 5 second window between tac teams that you need to be mindful of around gate's, Tactical Cubes, and anything that hits really hard with a Torp spread. Pay attention and this, use other defensives like Brace for Impact, TSS, etc... and it no longer becomes a problem.

Now do I sometimes take nasty spike damage? Hell yeah, and thats when you hit Brace for Impact & Ramming Speed or Evasive Maneuvers and get the hell out of Dodge. That's what those skills are there for.

Last edited by xantris; 12-16-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,610
# 226
12-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
Anytime my tac escort dies to Borg it's because I did something stupid (ie sticking around at 50% hull when the Neg'var spawn in CSE, cause we know that we are going to eat an ISO for half our hull) or pressed my luck a little too long(ie hanging in the fight too long with my HE on cooldown and then disengaging only to watch a plasma dot kill me).

In fact, the only time I can remember in the last 6 months that I've died from complete and utter BS, was when I got ISO charged by a Raptor and a Neg'var at the same time. Hell if I know how a Raptor ISOed me.


These magical instant deaths everyone complains about are completely off my radar, probably because I constantly run Tac Team, EptS, and manually redistribute shields like your suppose to. Every time I see a video of these so-called one-shots, it's always someone completely at fault because they aren't running buffs or they completely ignore a Heavy Plasma Torp.

There is a 5 second window between tac teams that you need to be mindful of around gate's, Tactical Cubes, and anything that hits really hard with a Torp spread. Pay attention and this, use other defensives like Brace for Impact, TSS, etc... and it no longer becomes a problem.

Now do I sometimes take nasty spike damage? Hell yeah, and thats when you hit Brace for Impact & Ramming Speed or Evasive Maneuvers and get the hell out of Dodge. That's what those skills are there for.
Edit:
You hit ramming speed and give yourself a good reason to be dead. By ramming the ****** that shot at you.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,687
# 227
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
A moment of your time... A certain willful and vulgar misspelling of "Cryptic" that has become all too common is actually a violation of forum rules and it has turned up recently in this thread.

Please refrain from using it, and please edit any posts where you have recently used it.

To be clear, negative feedback is not being censored but there are certain words being used that are vulgar, offensive, and draw trolls to the flames. This is subject to moderation.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Live Long and Prosper,

-Bluegeek
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,017
# 228
12-21-2012, 01:11 PM
So much for the supposed nerf the Borg were supposed to receive - just come away from an instance of ISE and despite being part of a high DPS team, the Borg kicked our behinds. Everyone agreed that the Borg in that instance were on steriods or something - the whole team were in respawn oblivion numerous times - the spheres took ages to clear and the cube one shotted everyone several times.

One player bailed, the rest of us followed - the tac cube was uber and, frankly, unbeatable.

Rubbish - absolute rubbish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.

Last edited by reyan01; 12-21-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
# 229
12-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Its just amazing to me how there are always 2 sides to a particular topic.. Take this one for instance.. At every turn when someones presented there case for how the borg are OP there has been someone to respond with Utter nonsense. They seem to have this attitude that if the borg aren't capable of one hitting him to death then there is no problem and nothing needs to be fixed yet there are scores more people who complain that there is a problem. I hate to break it to you super trooper uber captains that can SoLo A gate or tact cube in a shuttle but not everyone is packing the same mega uber super rare gear you have that allows you to do that. ( sarcasm completely intended )

I notice a HUGE difference in what i can do and how much i can tank depending on the ship im flying and the toon im using. I can tank a tact cube in my Sci Toon Flying a Bortasqu using the 2 piece Honor guard set with Borg XI deflector.. All power to weps the rest to Aux for maxing my heals..

The point is you can avoid the one shot death. So people making that claim are correct. However i agree with those saying the borg are Over Powered because you shouldn't have to fly a giant Fortress in order to survive in this game.

In some way it also boils down to how useless Threat control can be.. I've taken agro away from tanks with full threat control in my Armitage on my tact toon from sheer DPS and to me its Stupid because it shouldn't matter how much DPS i do I shouldn't pull Agro from someone with 9 in threat control.. To me that makes it a pointless skill and a waste of points. That needs to be addressed so that tanks can Tank and do there jobs.. It is a LOT easier to have a cruiser tank in the team holding agro and me throwing my heals to him to keep him alive then having it the other way around..
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,017
# 230
12-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyuberdude View Post
Its just amazing to me how there are always 2 sides to a particular topic.. Take this one for instance.. At every turn when someones presented there case for how the borg are OP there has been someone to respond with Utter nonsense. They seem to have this attitude that if the borg aren't capable of one hitting him to death then there is no problem and nothing needs to be fixed yet there are scores more people who complain that there is a problem. I hate to break it to you super trooper uber captains that can SoLo A gate or tact cube in a shuttle but not everyone is packing the same mega uber super rare gear you have that allows you to do that. ( sarcasm completely intended )

I notice a HUGE difference in what i can do and how much i can tank depending on the ship im flying and the toon im using. I can tank a tact cube in my Sci Toon Flying a Bortasqu using the 2 piece Honor guard set with Borg XI deflector.. All power to weps the rest to Aux for maxing my heals..

The point is you can avoid the one shot death. So people making that claim are correct. However i agree with those saying the borg are Over Powered because you shouldn't have to fly a giant Fortress in order to survive in this game.

In some way it also boils down to how useless Threat control can be.. I've taken agro away from tanks with full threat control in my Armitage on my tact toon from sheer DPS and to me its Stupid because it shouldn't matter how much DPS i do I shouldn't pull Agro from someone with 9 in threat control.. To me that makes it a pointless skill and a waste of points. That needs to be addressed so that tanks can Tank and do there jobs.. It is a LOT easier to have a cruiser tank in the team holding agro and me throwing my heals to him to keep him alive then having it the other way around..
Definitely agree with your comments pertaining to gear - my gear WAS pretty effective prior to the last patch. It's worthless now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 PM.