Starfleet Veteran
# 21
12-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
Sorry but STO has more bugs and blunders than the average MMO. Let's not lie to ourselves and pretend everything is rainbows.

It's obvious they didn't test much, and it's obvious they're doing things in a shady manner. It's been what, 5 weeks or so since Season 7 launch? Only now do they pull the t5 flamethrower from the romulan rep. Guess it wasn't ready. Only after people got the romulan torpedo did they mention "oh yeah that's a placeholder". Guess it's not finished either. They're dishonest with us and we can prove it. The rate at which they accomplish things is directly tied to how much money they think they'll get out of it. You can go on until you're blue in the face about all the sloppy, shady, or apathetic things they've done.

What people need to realize is that Cryptic is not a top-tier MMO developer. They are mediocre at best, and will stay that way as long as they're run in this manner. You need to lower your expectations. They are the Zynga of the MMO market. Maybe one day they will develop the honesty and integrity that will lead to STO and their company earning AAA status, but they've got a long way to go.

They won't hold themselves accountable because they would have to admit they did something wrong. Cryptic doesn't like doing that. Even after the total rage-storm on the forums where we showed Cryptic that they were being dishonest, DStahl's blog post didn't admit to doing anything wrong. In fact, he claimed that they'd been proven right and that we needed "better manners". Surely insulting your players is a good sign.

Everyone just needs to accept the fact that Cryptic can't measure up to the standards we expect from other companies. They've got the stranglehold on the Star Trek IP, so we have to live with what we get. The less you care about this game, the happier you will be.
Very well stated. Clear and concise. Indeed, I personally think the only reason they even support a "test" server, is so they can wrangle people into spending time with the game, with the bribe of a free, tribble. Nothing ever seems to come from this 'testing", the same junk that's on Tribble is exactly the same garbage that gets pushed to the live servers, warts, bugs, and all. I noticed that after season 2 came out. Case in point: There are still ships, ingame from launch, that are STILL missing texture maps. Well folks, it ain't gonna get better any time soon. Dan said in this month's "Ask Cryptic" that he has no interest in going into a "maintenance mode". He plans to keep moving forward. In other words, even though the basement isn't stable, he's gonna continue to build the house on top of it. Good luck with that. Most veteran players (at least the ones I played with) have long since left the game.
Captain
# 22
12-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Simply put season 7 has seen one blunder after another from cryptic.
Nah. It's fine.

Quote:
Something needs to change within the corporate culture soon because it is simply unacceptable for this to continue.
Nah. It's fine.

Quote:
You have managed to irritate the hardcore players by the promise of new items that are not even in the game yet.
I can see that. Mind you, the hardcore players are irritated when the sun comes in through the curtains.

Quote:
The casuals with the difficulty changes and fluctuating economy.
Nah. They're making a lot of Zen now. They're fine.

Quote:
The pvp by not realizing how the new stuff would pan out.
The PvP is unbalanced in an PvE game? Yah don't say!

Quote:
The fleets that were locked from progression either from boff bugs or lack of fleet marks.
Nah. Tonnes of fleetmarks now.

Quote:
In an era of increased competition and flighty customer bases these level of quality is unacceptable. Someone needs to be held accountable.
Since we're all responsible in a way, I suggest you start with yourself simply because it'll be easy to get to your home in case you're not answering the phone.

Quote:
I know this may sound overly harsh.
"Harsh" doesn't usually give me the giggles.

Quote:
But lets face facts there is absolutely no reason the reputation passives that are destroying PvP should have made it live without someone realizing the effect they would have.
The PvP is unbalanced in an PvE game? Yah don't say!

Quote:
Items and tech for the reputation system should have been finished when season 7 launched not months later expecting the playerbase to be content with a placeholder item
*Looks at calendar, marvels at the time traveler in our presence*

Quote:
And I'm not touching the dilithium changes with a ten foot pole as anyone with a moderate amount of MMO economy experience would have done a better job predicting the outcome.
Imagine if the changes were designed to take the wind out of the sails of a handful of market speculators. Wouldn't that be enraging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic
Even after the total rage-storm on the forums where we showed Cryptic that they were being dishonest, DStahl's blog post didn't admit to doing anything wrong. In fact, he claimed that they'd been proven right and that we needed "better manners". Surely insulting your players is a good sign.
*snicker*
# 23
12-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Perhaps some of you have forgotten the kind of lying, non-communicative garbage we get from other MMO's.

Has the dev team stumbled , of course, badly and repeatedly. The difference is simple: they have made good efforts at fixing it.

When imblances were put into SWTOR, stunlocks that turned PvP into a joke, did Bioware fix it? No, they made it worse, then lied about it. They claimed graphical problems with the game were people too stupid to clean their machines, and made up features from whole cloth that they had zero plans to implement.

TSW not only had buggy , badly balanced gameplay and crashes, but had the audacity to go F2P even faster than SWTOR after promising it wouldn't Also, feedback turned from helpful to 'haha gfy' every time new problems came up.

DStahl already took accountability. That's what you call it when you come out and say 'hey, this isn't working, we're going to change some things.' Dan is the only one of the dev leads who has ever delivered on his promises, so I give him some slack.
Career Officer
# 24
12-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savnoka View Post
DStahl already took accountability. That's what you call it when you come out and say 'hey, this isn't working, we're going to change some things.' Dan is the only one of the dev leads who has ever delivered on his promises, so I give him some slack.
wtf... is there another STO out there that I'm not playing? And does overlord Stahl have a not-evil twin?
Career Officer
# 25
12-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
wtf... is there another STO out there that I'm not playing? And does overlord Stahl have a not-evil twin?
Either that or you're in denial.
Ensign
# 26
12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
So far i have enjoyed the season, sure it could of used a bit of story thrown in... a 5 episode deal would of done it but other than that i'am mostly happy. Ill take more if i'am given it but this is fine... its a f2p game afterall.
Commander
# 27
12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
You do know that many of the Design team came from Zynga right? Thats were all the new click, click, click interfaces and time gate objectives came from that we all love so much. The reputation and starbase system is just like many of the free Zynga facebook games that are out there now. They took what they knew and stuck it in here and called it new content.
Captain
# 28
12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Most of these issues you are thinking about are caused bye bad patchs and bugs in the game.

I have been playing for a while now and i started in season 4 or 5 or some thing like that.

For the most part they do a pretty good job on getting the patchs out quickly.

And if your looking at other mmos compared to STO.

Let's compare

PWE games

For instance take a look at Blacklight Retribution this game is freaking buggy as hell eats a crap load of ram 1,600,000 and up and takes up 90% cpu.

STO barely hits 600k in ram and hits about 60% of cpu.

Season seven yes has had it's mess ups in bugs and probably 70% of them have been fixed with in a week or two.But there are bug's in game from how many seasons ago even from beta testing.

In my opionion PWE and cryptic does a pretty dam good job at keeping up with the patching demands.

yes i my self have complained about certain things and yes they have been fixed.I many ways season seven is bad and good.
Captain
# 29
12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savnoka View Post
Perhaps some of you have forgotten the kind of lying, non-communicative garbage we get from other MMO's.

Has the dev team stumbled , of course, badly and repeatedly. The difference is simple: they have made good efforts at fixing it.

When imblances were put into SWTOR, stunlocks that turned PvP into a joke, did Bioware fix it? No, they made it worse, then lied about it. They claimed graphical problems with the game were people too stupid to clean their machines, and made up features from whole cloth that they had zero plans to implement.

TSW not only had buggy , badly balanced gameplay and crashes, but had the audacity to go F2P even faster than SWTOR after promising it wouldn't Also, feedback turned from helpful to 'haha gfy' every time new problems came up.

And just how well are SWTOR and TSW doing right now?

I guess my original point got lost somewhere. But simply put when you continually make massive judgement call errors on your game changes and reintroduce bugs while taking forever to fix new ones as well it shows a problem.

If you go to a restaurant and order a meal how many times does it have to be wrong before you stop going there? In this day and age you don't have the luxury of annoying your customer all the time in a market with this much competition.

If Cryptic wants to grow the game, if they want to run with the big dogs so to speak, they need to increase the level of polish and quality with their releases and decisions. To me they seem so out of touch with every aspect of the playerbase it makes my head hurt. I am not joking when I say I read the tribble patch notes just to see what will be 'exploited' next.

-The overpowered reputation passives were obviously overpowered to anyone.
-The starbase boff bug showed a lack of foresight and familiarity with their own game engine.
-The dilithium changes to STFs were poorly handled with the needless stealth nerf and latter reimplementation.
-Anyone with a shred of common sense would have realized the time gate method of the reputation system encouraged players to not bother playing. Yes this is now fixed.
-Romulan DSEs are still bugged, or are all DSEs bugged I lost track.
-How many items are missing from the Reputation reward tables and how can anyone defend them for that? If they were not ready don't bother putting in the text that I can get them. Haven't they been preaching for the past year about how they won't tell us stuff unless it is for sure?
-Get real tech for foundry or leave it be already. I wonder how long until battleship loot drops will be nerfed because of that. Not to mention the amount of potential exploitation just waiting to be unleashed.
-Doff upgrider costs yet the Fleet Purple Doff floodgates about to be opened.

I am overall happy with the game, overall happy with season 7. I just want this game to be here for a long time and this is my feedback on what I think will help make that happen. This is not a bash or rage post I am neither angry nor attempting to put anyone down. I am concerned.
Captain
# 30
12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
If you go to a restaurant and order a meal how many times does it have to be wrong before you stop going there? In this day and age you don't have the luxury of annoying your customer all the time in a market with this much competition.
I agree with this idea. But I am thinking the difference is like apples and ... rocks. I can easily choose not to go to THAT restaurant because there is another that serves the same food (generally) somewhere else.

For MMOs, my options for a space ship-based game are very limited.

So I'd like to know what is it that we as players want: do we want to current situation to improve OR do we want new stuff? It seems to me that we should focus our consumer energies on one or the other and to recognize that the price to get one result sacrifices the other.

For my part, STO should fix what is old. There is PLENTY to do in this game on a daily basis. Even if it's the same-ol-same patrol ... I can recall days, DAYS playing EverQuest where I would do the same Same SAME thing over and over with the only difference being who I grouped with during that event ... and that was ok?! YES, because everything worked as intended, within acceptable limits I should caveat.

The point is: if I want a better future then I should have a better experience NOW by having Cryptic fix what they built in the past. THEN, they can work on the future stuff, safe with the knowledge that their product is as good as it was meant to be.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene

Last edited by cmdrscarlet; 12-16-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Additional support to idea.