Lt. Commander
# 11
12-14-2012, 04:29 PM
My tac B'rel can take a reasonable amount of punishment for a short time before being obliged to battle cloak or seek a friendly cruiser out.

I toggle between EPTS 1 and 3, and also use RSP when I can. I also specced the captain into evasive, and also used the skill tree to increase the defence value. It's not as easy to pull off with cruisers, but a KDF cruiser can still tank nicely, even without the same kind of shield modifiers.

Spec right, stack resistances, and try to keep moving is the name of the game in general. RSP can also give you a nice top up, as climbing the mountain to a full HG shield quota can be a bit trying under fire to say the least.
Career Officer
# 12
12-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
The ship you purchased wasn't a Fleet Ning'tao, was it? I've seen quotes that state it specializes in exploding... which isn't far from the truth to be honest. It's a terribly designed hull: 500 more HP and 0.14 lower shield multiplier than the Commander level original.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAA...otq2By_2-8qqIg

MKX KHG set. nothing to spectacular. Does fine.

Cruiser and Raptor mileage may vary.

Anyways, even without knowing your specific ship, your shields shouldn't be dropping 'every' time you get fired on. Shields 'drop' (as opposed to failing to regen) and ships blow up only under a few certain sets of circumstances.

Shield power needs to be rather high to take advantage of innate resistances and regen....EPTS can help with this...but there is more.

For instance lets say you don't use TT. If you don't use TT or very quickly manually adjust your shields, almost no matter what else you do, a facing will drop and you will explode.

Also if you cannot match up a proactive shield resistance with a shield heal, your shields will still drop even with TT, just not quite as fast. But drop they will.

So you run something like a EPTS as often as possible, when you begin to take heavy fire you use TT, you shift power to aux and use TSS, then shift back to shields. Stuff like that. That stuff works. It works with crappy common gear. Honest.

Cheers happy flying!!!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!

Last edited by thissler; 12-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
The ship you purchased wasn't a Fleet Ning'tao, was it? I've seen quotes that state it specializes in exploding... which isn't far from the truth to be honest. It's a terribly designed hull: 500 more HP and 0.14 lower shield multiplier than the Commander level original.
The very same one. Thank you for that answer. Now I will move on to the Dev Team and ask them why this is for a high class ship.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-16-2012, 07:45 AM
When I first started in KDF, I had a BoP that had shields that were hardly damaged. It then started seeming like the higher class ships i purchased the shielding went into the ground.
Captain
# 15
12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Oy. The 'lower KDF shields' really bites for the Varanus -- exactly like one of the Fed sci ships (I forget which, at the moment), except weaker shields and more crew! Meh. Oh, and you have to buy it in zen store (unlike the Fed equivalent)

Ok, also repair platforms, but they bug out so often I mainly use them as chaff if I even bother to use the console (which is rarely).

Oh, and no cloak.
Mutter.
Captain
# 16
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Ever tried hull tanking with a BOP? It can be quite an interesting experience and confusing as hell to opponents.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Career Officer
# 17
12-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzh View Post
Ever tried hull tanking with a BOP? It can be quite an interesting experience and confusing as hell to opponents.
Actually, yes (KDF Eng) and it's perfectly doable - of course, you actually have to work for a living doing it but then that's part of the fun

My Eng's B'rel uses the KHG Mk XII set and that works pretty well for him - he's also loaded up on Neutronium Alloys so his BoP's a pretty durable thing.

The main ship I fly with him is the (non-Fleet) K't'inga Retrofit with a full Omega Mk XII set and even those shields (weaker as they are than the KHG) are pretty solid.

To the OP, maybe something like this whilst you're working your way towards the KHG might help? Alternatively, there's always the Aegis shield as an option.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
# 18
12-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Shield performance is based on:

Your shield skills
Ship shield modifier
Equipped shield
Shield power setting

If your shield skill is not up to 6 points then its your fault your shields suck. Most fed players can get away with less because Fed ships tend to have higher shield modifier on their ships.

KDF ships always have less shield modifier than Fed ships. The more 'attack' the ship is, the less shields it has. Aka BOP has the least shield modifier in the game.

Equipped shield will affect the shield amount or resists or regeneration rate.

Shield power settings is perhaps the most important. High power to shields not only increases regeneration rate but also increases the shield's resists to all damage types.

Overall, KDF is not a shield tanking faction. They rely on speed, stealth and defense rating to avoid getting hit. The larger KDF ships have tougher hulls and in the case of the VoQuv carrier, very strong shields AND armor.

If you're flying a bird of prey forget about shields as a form of defense. Your cloaking device, speed and stats are what will carry you in battle.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Empire Veteran
# 19
12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman1229 View Post
I just made Lt. General (That was fast) and purchased a new ship. I have tried every single shield, hull & regen. power for my shields but if I get hit a few times they automatically go down. If anyone can offer any assistance with this beyond broken KDF faction, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Definately use all the info given in the this thread. My personal fear is they "fixed" the improper KDF shield modifiers that DDIS discovered earlier this year when fleet ships rolled out, that was more than the stats shown in the UI's.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.

Last edited by bitemepwe; 12-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Captain
# 20
12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
All kdf ships have slightly lower shield mod then a comparable fed ship due to kdf also getting built in cloak. You just have to compensate for it by using high cap shields like Honor Guard Mk XII, and multiple field generator consoles.
Sadly this tradeoff is now antiquated but still in effect as the advantages that KDF ships were afforded such as Cloak and Universal Bridge Stations are now offered on multiple Federation vessels with no sacrifice of Hull, Shield Strength, or quantity of Bridge Stations.
All cloaks should be canon.