Former PWE Community Team Lead
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,046
Community Member Sargon checks in to provide an important update for PvP Boot Camp registrants, including the registration end date for session #1 and information on how you will be contacted by your coach.


Click here to read more.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 315
# 2
12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Its pretty awesome this is being done! Sadly, I can't sign up as I've got work >_<

Best of luck to everyone! Learn! Have fun!
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,643
# 3
12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
im shocked at the number that have signed up, very encouraging! dont let the pvp part scare you, it really is fun as soon as you learn the few simple things you need to do to keep a decent defense intact.

its not just for pvp help too, i will make you better at everything there is to do in game. if all you have done is play pve and never pvp'ed, its likely your ship only operates at about 10% of its potential. but thats ok, theres no were to go from there but up!
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,372
# 4
12-17-2012, 11:36 PM
This game needs a lot of balancing before PVP, I played a few matches of PVP when I first started on the game and found in unbalanced and quite boring and I do play PVP on other games. So I think this bootcamp is them trying to breathe life into a dead fire and a waste of time.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,671
# 5
12-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Balance in this game could be a lot better. That being said the whole point of boot camp is to show people the fun that PvP holds, when you no longer rely on gear and procs. Despite all the spam that is coming our way, PvP in this game is not very gear dependent. I don't know of anyone associated with this initiative who would like to change this. I have successfully PvPed with blue MK XI gear and a bunch of geen and white doffs. We want to help people achieve the same thing. Avoid a few skills, understand the baiscs of the skill tree, know you class, and understand teamwork.... your good to go.
I'll take a pvp vet in an RA ship with white gear only any day over the omegaeverythng noob with an ?berPvE build kirking in the queues.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,643
# 6
12-18-2012, 02:41 AM
getting completely overwhelmed and stomped doesn't mean its unbalanced, it means you didn't know what you were doing when you dabbled in it, and got rocked. the core game play is very balanced, the P2W additions arent, a lot of them at least
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 7
12-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
if all you have done is play pve and never pvp'ed, its likely your ship only operates at about 10% of its potential. but thats ok, theres no were to go from there but up!
Lol arrogant much? I never pvp and my ship operates at about 95% of its potential with the other 5% sacrificed for pve specialisation.

This game is so simple there is no excuse for you to have your ship perform well in one area and poorly in the other unless you are deliberately penalising yourself by using plasma weapons (which I am, even then I often top damage done in pugs).

A properly fit PVE ship is damn similar to a properly built PVP ship the only difference between the 2 environments is that PVP REQUIRES teamwork.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,889
# 8
12-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Lol arrogant much? I never pvp and my ship operates at about 95% of its potential with the other 5% sacrificed for pve specialisation.

This game is so simple there is no excuse for you to have your ship perform well in one area and poorly in the other unless you are deliberately penalising yourself by using plasma weapons (which I am, even then I often top damage done in pugs).

A properly fit PVE ship is damn similar to a properly built PVP ship the only difference between the 2 environments is that PVP REQUIRES teamwork.
It is not that simple. In my experience, PvE simply doesn't require a lot of crowd control abilities or debuffs. You're really best of with a high damage build, having your basic heals. The STFs and the No Win scenario seem to be the only modes where many science abilities even become relevant.

For example:
One of the most important powers in PvP has always been Subnucleonic Beam. SNB removes buffs, and a ship that is buffed with an EPtS, Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength, Auxillary Power to Structural Integrity Field, ATtack PAttern Apha and Omega, and Cannon Rapid FIre is basically neutralized with a single SNB. (A good pilot can survive it in many circumstances, and a team may carry him throught he worse cases). But NPCs? They use 2-3 buffs at best usually. You get much, much more out of an Attack Pattern Alpha.


Not all games have such extreme differences between PvE and PvP. But STO definitely has a big difference.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 959
# 9
12-18-2012, 11:45 AM
PvE...at the beginning of S7 I flew into one of the new Romulan space battle instances without realizing that S7 had removed most of my skills from my bar. All I could do was steer and shoot. But I still didn't die.

PvP isn't like that.
_________________________________________________
[Kluless][Kold][Steel Heels][Snagtooth]
[Louis Cipher][Outta Gum][Thysa Kymbo][Spanner][Frakk]
[D'Mented][D'Licious]
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 10
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrumridcully0 View Post
One of the most important powers in PvP has always been Subnucleonic Beam. SNB removes buffs, and a ship that is buffed with an EPtS, Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength, Auxillary Power to Structural Integrity Field, ATtack PAttern Apha and Omega, and Cannon Rapid FIre is basically neutralized with a single SNB. (A good pilot can survive it in many circumstances, and a team may carry him throught he worse cases). But NPCs? They use 2-3 buffs at best usually. You get much, much more out of an Attack Pattern Alpha.
He said PVEers only fly their ships at 10% effectiveness which is bull. Your post revolves around a skill that is a CAPTAIN ability and there fore has nothing to do with ships at all.

What were you responding to again?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 AM.