Community Moderator
# 61
12-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
Peregrine Falcon anyone?

But yeah, Blue, we'll keep the faith. Cause there's no other Trek out there, right?
Fair enough

You know the definition of faith, right?: "hope in that which is unseen"

If we'd seen it, I wouldn't need to have faith.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 62
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
It's a nice idea, but I think it's way too soon in the game's ongoing development to be talking about a dedicated KDF team. Before they can justify doing that, they need to increase the KDF player rolls... a 1-50 levelling experience would help. I also think they need to spend a little bit more time on figuring out what KDF players will buy and putting that stuff in the C-Store.

If you read that carefully, you will notice that Dan Stahl never promised anything there. That was his personal wishlist of what he'd add to the game if he got his wish. That's not the same thing as putting on his EP hat and saying "this is what we're going to add to the game in Season X".

When I read between the lines, I sense that Cryptic has a long range plan that they are, more or less, trying to execute. We aren't told exactly what that is because it's subject to change, as always, and because we as a group will probably rake them over the coals if they don't deliver when or what they said they would.

Right now Job One is keeping the cash flow going while addressing some basic weaknesses and inconsistencies in gameplay for all of the players. This is partly why FE's got put on hold the past two seasons in favor of Starbases, Fleet Actions, STF revamps and the Romulan Adventure Zone: they needed replayable long-term content for high-level characters. If they aren't able to put out FE's at least once a year, they probably don't have resources to do something like focus on KDF either.

Not holding your breath is probably wise... even if they did decide to add full KDF progression in Season 8, that's months away. I have faith that they will officially address everything on Dan's wishlist in due time... just not necessarily according to our schedule.
The problem is, it will take more than one token Season to flesh out the KDF. Having decent content through 1-50 would be a good start, and will hopefully help swell the KDF ranks once players have the option of joining the faction right from the beginning. Adjustable UI would be helpful as well, since a lot of people complain about the awesome red UI.

However, what if more is needed? This is why a dedicated team is needed, so that ongoing improvements are made through the patches, S9 and beyond. Otherwise, it's just going to be a season's worth of improvements to the faction every 2-3 seasons, with the rest of the resources going to the Federation.

Right now, the game is defaulting as Federation when it comes to content. Stuff is released to feddies and poorly copy-pasted onto KDF, or there's 'cross-faction' ships and the like. The best way to change that would be a dedicated team of developers that honestly LIKE the KDF concept.
Captain
# 63
12-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
It is Dan Stahl's goal to make certain the princess is always in another castle. The Twitter quote in my signature sums it up pretty well.
I approve of your signature
Ensign
# 64
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhougga View Post
Q: (hippiejon) If there was ONE thing you can add to the game. Your personal dream update. Big or Small. What would it be?

Dstahl: Klingon PvE content from 1-50 with a solid PvE and PvP endgame. Plain and simple. Then after that, real Star Trek exploration.

Well Dan Stahl, given every statement you and other devs as well as STO reps have made about making the KDF a full faction equal to the Federation, I won't hold my breathe or cross my fingers until we the players actually see it. We have been promised this from the beginning when the game launched and all we have gotten since are "empty promises" but as you yourself have said in the past, "As I've said in numerous interviews - don't take me at my word - just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that."

Alright Dan, if we are to truly "judge you on the improvements that have been made to the KDF," I myself in my honest opinion think your track record "for improvemnts" isn't worth the mud on any of my captains' boots! So much for the devs doing what they promise they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
If you read that carefully, you will notice that Dan Stahl never promised anything there. That was his personal wishlist of what he'd add to the game if he got his wish. That's not the same thing as putting on his EP hat and saying "this is what we're going to add to the game in Season X".

When I read between the lines, I sense that Cryptic has a long range plan that they are, more or less, trying to execute. We aren't told exactly what that is because it's subject to change, as always, and because we as a group will probably rake them over the coals if they don't deliver when or what they said they would.

Right now Job One is keeping the cash flow going while addressing some basic weaknesses and inconsistencies in gameplay for all of the players. This is partly why FE's got put on hold the past two seasons in favor of Starbases, Fleet Actions, STF revamps and the Romulan Adventure Zone: they needed replayable long-term content for high-level characters. If they aren't able to put out FE's at least once a year, they probably don't have resources to do something like focus on KDF either.

Not holding your breath is probably wise... even if they did decide to add full KDF progression in Season 8, that's months away. I have faith that they will officially address everything on Dan's wishlist in due time... just not necessarily according to our schedule.
Blue, I understand you as a "Community Moderator" that you try to keep the peace and help calm angry posts from players here on the STO forums but correct me if I am wrong by saying that Dan Stahl is the "Executive Producer" on Star Trek Online and although he doesn't decide himself which direction the game travels and which turns the devs make, he does decide which resources get placed where they need to be to ensure that once decisions are made by his superiors at PWE, that they are carried out. And as far as I've read and can remember, other people on the STO team have made statements to the effect of wanting to make the KDF an equal faction on par with Starfleet/Federation though these other devs may not have the authority and influence on STO with PWE that Dan Stahl does.

And in my opinion if you make a statement on what will be added into a/the game and don't/can't deliver, it is advisable to not keep making the same claim repeatedly multiple times because it is possible that after making the statement on multiple occasions without making good on them, such statements maybe seen/taken as "empty commitments" that have gone unfulfilled and likely may never be. But again, correct me if I am wrong because as a once paying customer to STO (when I had the funds to do so), I like it when the head of a game's development team says something new is coming though I completely understand that STO is "subject to change and not all additions to the game will come to fruition" BUT and again, say that an addition to the game is coming "multiple times" whether the statement is a promise or not by oh I don't know, the "Executive Producer" and said addition doesn't occur will generate negative emotions in the player base who might just express their displeasure on the game's forums and after close to 3 years of "Dev Statements" saying that the KDF will be an equal faction on par with the Starfleet/Federation, well Blue, that is exactly what I'm doing now.
Empire Veteran
# 65
12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
All the KDF needs is a good tutorial.
With a new FE series for both factions and a tutorial i bet it would be enough.

But the problem would then be that all the feds who spent all their money and time building their fed character may not want to spend all that time and money building a kdf.
Starfleet Veteran
# 66
12-18-2012, 04:58 AM
I know one thing for sure, I started a new account and reached level 24 to start a KDF toon. This toon started as Commander in a poorly fitted BoP. They gave me a couple of BOffs, but little XP to train them. I had to bring my main over to run misisons with that toon to get it going. They gave me some gear, but it was all crap. It was even set up so you can't go straight through mission progression without coming up short on XP and having to rerun a few.

I realized then this is the single biggest uphill challenge I have seen in this game. For every account that decides to start a KDF toon, I understand completely why they stop and the KDF needs people.

As long as this obsticle is in the road, I don't see anything happening any time soon, and I don't see Cryptic doing anything about it. So if nothing changes, there is no point in hoping (read: putting faith in) anything getting better on STO only other faction.

... but hey, what do I know....
Captain
# 67
12-18-2012, 06:46 AM
I think this game is great, the devs have done amazing work, and there is a sheer range of THINGS TO DO far surpassing many other MMOs. They actually pay attention to the development of the game, compared to, oh, Champions Online...

All that said? The handling of KDF is jaw-droppingly stupid.

Personally? I'd be happy if one could start with a new account as KDF, at level 1. And don't add much of anything.

Yes, it'd be rough, but I'd rather have people struggle a little bit to get up to speed (doing the city run-around mission, PvP, maybe some early exploration missions and Foundry).

I'd like day-1 access and content. If I can't have the extra content, dear Kahless, give people access to the game without getting hip-deep in Federation.

I mean, seriously, wtf were they thinking? That's almost designed for failure.
Empire Veteran
# 68
12-18-2012, 08:43 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
I think this game is great, the devs have done amazing work, and there is a sheer range of THINGS TO DO far surpassing many other MMOs. They actually pay attention to the development of the game, compared to, oh, Champions Online...

All that said? The handling of KDF is jaw-droppingly stupid.
I agree on all counts.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Empire Veteran
# 69
12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
At times I tend to forget how hard it was to level a KDF character when this game launched.

At game launch back in 2010 it only took me one week to max level my 1st Federation Captain with very casual play.

I wanted my 1st Character to be KDF and I did not understand why I had to create a Federation Character 1st but then I figured that I was leveling my Fed Captain so fast that it was not such a big deal.

I created my 1st KDF Character and was blown away by how crappy the Faction was implemented.

There was no Tutorial to help you understand the differences between the Federation and the KDF or help you set the direction that you'll need to develop your Character in
You were given a BOP with very little equipment and two under skilled Bridge Officers but at the time I figured it would be find because I'd have plenty of low level missions to run so I could build up my vessel and Crew.

I still remember all the laughs that I got when I was asking in chat where I needed to go to get my starting (PVE) missions.

Once the reality had set in on the vast amounts of nothing that KDF Faction had going for it I was pretty much ready to abandon the worse implemented excuse for a 2nd faction in a 2 faction MMO that I'd ever seen but for some reason I stuck around.

It took me over a month to get my 1st KDF Captain to max level.

It was bad enough that the KDF only had PVP has its only source of leveling but then the EXP that we got from PVP was much less than the amount that players got when leveling Federation Captains and at times we would be waiting in queues for hours to get in one 5 minute match.

I was able to tough out leveling my KDF Captain and it made me a much better PVP player and really made me understand the value of team work; however, I hated PVP!

Over the years the KDF has gotten a bit better but really not by very much.

Over the last few years there have been many bold statements made about how that KDF faction will be pulled off the way, way, way back burner and put on the fore front and given the attention that it deserves, I'?m still waiting on that to happen.

We flash forward to the here and now:

Let's take a look at how the KDF faction compares to KDF faction at launch:

Still no way to start has a KDF Character without leveling a Federation Captain 1st

Still no Tutorial to help set the tone for anyone brave enough to start a KDF toon

Very little low level content to help new characters gear up and gain some experience using KDF vessels

Players today are not going to want to tough out leveling a KDF Character.

If I was a new player to STO and was aware that this MMO had been around for nearly 3 years and saw how poorly developed one faction of this 2 faction game was I doubt that I'd want anything to do with the Faction let alone the MMO in question.

I'm tired of holding out hope when it comes to the continued development and growth of the KDF faction.

One would think that by now the developers has well has most players would see that both Factions are symbiotic and need each other to survive.

A Strong KDF faction can only help with this games longevity but the longer we have to wait for KDF improvements the less likely players are going to care about them.

IMO if season 8 does deliver a true KDF experience with a nice Tutorial and level 1-50 game content the faction will just be getting what it should have launched with nearly 3 years ago and it will be sad to see that it took that long to get it.

I'm hitching my cart to this magical season 8 like I've done with so many past seasons and updates that were supposed to right the ship for the KDF faction; however, forgive me if I show little to no ?Faith? that the season will deliver the results.

I really like STO and season 7 is starting to grow on me; however, whenever I sit back and take a look at how little attention my preferred faction has gotten from Cryptic over the years and all the players that I've known that have walked away from STO because of the empty words of what was to come for the KDF faction, I just can't help be feel years? worth of frustration boil to the surface.

Hope..... Hope is dead..... I expect results!
Commander
# 70
12-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by errab View Post

Hope..... Hope is dead..... I expect results!
That is my actual stance since a long time.
I will never ever trust any words from the Devs on KDF development.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios