Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 11
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I was positive Christopher Pike held the rank of Fleet Captain at some point so did some digging and found this in memory beta...

"Fleet captain is a rank of officer in naval services and space forces, most notably Federation Starfleet and the Star Navy of the Romulan Star Empire. Fleet captain is an honorary rank, a grade higher than a captain and a grade below a flag officer in most rank structures, although some organizations will refer to a captain as a fleet captain in title only, to show the said captain's seniority over other captains. In the 2250s, Garth of Izar was made a fleet captain, and Christopher Pike was promoted to fleet captain in 2264."

So Fleet Captain is a canon rank as per TOS episodes "The Menagerie" and "Whom Gods Destroy". Okay, so it mainly honorary but it could be made official...
Captain
# 12
12-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post
I was positive Christopher Pike held the rank of Fleet Captain at some point so did some digging and found this in memory beta...

"Fleet captain is a rank of officer in naval services and space forces, most notably Federation Starfleet and the Star Navy of the Romulan Star Empire. Fleet captain is an honorary rank, a grade higher than a captain and a grade below a flag officer in most rank structures, although some organizations will refer to a captain as a fleet captain in title only, to show the said captain's seniority over other captains. In the 2250s, Garth of Izar was made a fleet captain, and Christopher Pike was promoted to fleet captain in 2264."

So Fleet Captain is a canon rank as per TOS episodes "The Menagerie" and "Whom Gods Destroy". Okay, so it mainly honorary but it could be made official...
Well it's memory beta, so the only bit that is canon is that the Rank Fleet Captain was mentioned in TOS episodes "The Menagerie" and "Whom Gods Destroy", anything else is still non canon. I'm sure it says nothing about the ranks in those episodes other than their existence.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Empire Veteran
# 13
12-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheeple View Post
Starfleet Marine Corpse

That made me chuckle.
Captain
# 14
12-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
That made me chuckle.
Agreed...

Now a Federation Marine Corps might be possible, and would typically operate outside the Starfleet command structure. Their officers would likely be recruited from those who complete advanced Federation tactical or security training.

In deep space nine we saw evidence of Federation soldiers. They had a different uniform, so they were not Starfleet. But there is canon proof that a Federation ground fighting force existed in the 24th century.

So the OP's idea is at least valid in terms of adopting rank insignia...
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
12-16-2012, 03:44 PM
The Macos are basically disposable marines
Captain
# 16
12-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Supposedly Starfleet is more of a Merchant Marine force rather than anything else.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Ensign
# 17
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
If anything Starfleet Marines could be transported down to a planet where hostility/violence is high instead of sending down a lightly armed and unarmored away team that don't have extensive training and the proper equipment to survive such encounters where most other Starfleet personal would be injured/killed or captured after putting up little to moderate resistance against their aggressors.

Marines would be trained and equipped to deal with hostile individuals who have the intent of killing or capturing any Starfleet personal they encounter and be able to secure a beam-down landing zone so officers who have been sent to speak for the Federation can without being shot down each time by the enemy at every possible opportunity.

And that is my 2 cents.
Captain
# 18
12-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Garth of Izar and Christopher Pike were both Fleet Captains in the TOS era and are referred to as such in episodes. However, since the TOS era there has been no reference to them.

I had a long rant about ranks and Starfleet Marines, but deleted it as it strayed off topic.

But I will say
1)One of Sisko's BOFFs was a Senior Chief I want one too.

2) Star Trek has never depicted Marines. MACOs are definitely not Marines. At least in the United States you could never mistake a Marine for anything else- and a Marine would take offense at being referred to anything other than Marine. Major Hayes refers to training at West Point- the oldest Army post in the United States and currently home to the US Military Academy- where Marines do not train. The ground troops in The Siege of AR-558 are specifically referred to by Starfleet ranks.
Ensign
# 19
12-18-2012, 02:20 PM
A littel addition to the enlisted Ranks.

Warrent Officers.

http://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/ind...Officer_Grades
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Shipboard troops or troops serving on a vessel are called Marines

Macos are marines (low rent ones)

The Royal marines were the first fully uniformed disciplined marine force

The USMC is not the only kind of Marine