Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Ensign
Two cases in point:

- Clusters, like Delta Volanis. The diplomatic mission doesn't say where Delta Volanis is. I can't search the map. So I have to go to the wiki and look up Delta Volanis.

- Quark's bar. Got a mission to talk to Barret in Quark's. Mission text does not tell me where Quarks is. Map in game does not either. On the map for DS9 there's a large black area in the middle -- that's Quarks. How would I have known that from the map? I wouldn't.

This is a useful map: http://www.stowiki.org/Fileeep_Space_9_Map.png, devs, you could learn a thing or two.

In short:

- add a search feature to the star map

- add landmarks to the station maps and make them searchable as well
Captain
# 2
12-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I'll add one too:
'The Vault' mission text,
Quote:
Speak to Lt. Cmdr. DeSoto in the Admiral's Office
The tooltip doesn't tell you that he's on starbase 39, Psi Velorum sector, nor that SB39 is Sierra system.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Empire Veteran
# 3
12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
It's all in the manual. Oh, wait................
Ensign
# 4
12-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I'll add one too:
'The Vault' mission text,

The tooltip doesn't tell you that he's on starbase 39, Psi Velorum sector, nor that SB39 is Sierra system.
So much of this. Every mission should have a hyperlink that opens the map, centered on the system in question.
Ensign
# 5
12-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Oh, and one more thing: keep NPCs on the map regardless of draw distance. I shouldn't have to walk closer to that side of the map to see if the person I need to find is there -- it's not like they're moving around.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-19-2012, 10:15 PM
All the clusters are listed on the map though...
Captain
# 7
12-20-2012, 06:54 AM
good grief...

...gamers are really completely dependent these days. It's amazing, especially in an mmo like STO, which has one of the smallest environments out there. It takes about 15 seconds and a small tad of common sense to find both Delta Volanis and Quarks.
Captain
# 8
12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
good grief...

...gamers are really completely dependent these days. It's amazing, especially in an mmo like STO, which has one of the smallest environments out there. It takes about 15 seconds and a small tad of common sense to find both Delta Volanis and Quarks.
I want to agree with this.

Granted though, the three options in the map tab are one too many in my opinion. If I could scale it back it would be the list that goes the way of the Do Do. Maybe that's because I'm a visual kind of person. But I can see how an alphabetical list would make navigating to a system within a sector "faster".
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I have to say for one, finding quarks was a bit confusing the first time. However I was still very new to the game and still didn't know what the heck I was doing most of the time. I consulted the wiki and was grateful for the information. I feel the wiki is an excellent source for compiling all the information, which is already present in the game, into a comprehensive, relatively concise format. It is an awesome resource.
Rihannsu
# 10
12-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Quarks is in exactly the same place it was on the show, the only difference is that the big doors are closed, if you watched any DS9 you could find that. Not to mention that it says enter quarks when you walk up to said doors. Heck, all you have to do is take a lap around the Promenade and you'll find it eventually.

As for Delta Volanis, it is labeled on the map, big letters right next to Sirius SB, and if you do the Explore Strange New Worlds mission that introduces you to the Exploration clusters it tells you where to find it on the map. Not to mention that if you fly west from Sol you are bound to hit it eventually.

It's an MMO, part of the fun is finding out where things are by yourself. By the way, all locations on the sector space maps appear in the list view on the map screen.