Captain
# 21
12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
After spending all morning pressing way too many buttons on my calculator, I will amend my statement and say that yes, armor suffers from diminishing returns.

After testing on my Fleet Negh'var with five identical layers of Neutronium Alloy, I can tell you that the efficiency of each layer of armor in adding its resistance to the previous amount came out to be: 98.3%, 94.9%, 92.0%, 86.1%, and 81.5%.

The total loss of performance across five layers of armor was just under half of one of the consoles i.e. about 1/10th of the potential. It's up to the reader to decide if this is a significant loss of performance.

Personally I'm not convinced that it's entirely deliberate given the erratic way the numbers jump around, and I strongly suspect rounding errors in the game's code.
-.-

Have you ever played League of Legends? If so, you will know that in a game like that, with a hard cap on defense, each added point to armor adds less to your defense... which is basically what I said in my most recent post...

They did this system to make it very hard to reach the resistance cap. You literally need to have 200 resistance to hit the 75% hard cap. It makes sense if you've played games that do that.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 22
12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
-.-

Have you ever played League of Legends? If so, you will know that in a game like that, with a hard cap on defense, each added point to armor adds less to your defense... which is basically what I said in my most recent post...

They did this system to make it very hard to reach the resistance cap. You literally need to have 200 resistance to hit the 75% hard cap. It makes sense if you've played games that do that.
200? Keep going.

Basic damage reduction = 12.7%
+ Diburnium Mk XII (35 * 5) armor = 60.4%
+ Aux2SIF3 (54) + Polarize Hull (62.8) + Subspace field modulator (34) = 68%

Well over 300 in resist value.

I don't understand their logic on this personally. The penalties for using basic armor isn't very significant. Most ships max out at 4 layers of armor, which would only be a penalty of about 8% if you're using all neutronium. Their diminishing returns system instead has vastly more impact on how much you benefit from temporary abilities if you're already using physical armor. As in makes them worth much less. For example there's almost no practical difference between high aux power and low aux power, or ability level, when using Aux2SIF and Polarize if your damage reduction is already pushing 50%. But how is obscenely high damage resistance a problem if it only lasts 10 seconds? Also, shield damage reduction doesn't seem to have this same problem.
Captain
# 23
12-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
200? Keep going.

Basic damage reduction = 12.7%
+ Diburnium Mk XII (35 * 5) armor = 60.4%
+ Aux2SIF3 (54) + Polarize Hull (62.8) + Subspace field modulator (34) = 68%

Well over 300 in resist value.

I don't understand their logic on this personally. The penalties for using basic armor isn't very significant. Most ships max out at 4 layers of armor, which would only be a penalty of about 8% if you're using all neutronium. Their diminishing returns system instead has vastly more impact on how much you benefit from temporary abilities if you're already using physical armor. As in makes them worth much less. For example there's almost no practical difference between high aux power and low aux power, or ability level, when using Aux2SIF and Polarize if your damage reduction is already pushing 50%. But how is obscenely high damage resistance a problem if it only lasts 10 seconds? Also, shield damage reduction doesn't seem to have this same problem.
I beg to differ. When using Aux2SIF3, at my usual 48-58 aux I will heal 4800 and increase the target's resistances by 45. At 125 Aux power, I will heal 8000 and increase the targets resistances by 65. I'd say that's a pretty significant difference. To say nothing of the lower level versions. They are by far, almost ludicrously weaker. Which is why BOffs with Aux2SIF3 are usually somewhat expensive on the exchange. And you are correct, it only lasts 10 seconds, but it's cd is only 15 seconds. That's 66% uptime. It's better than most other abilities.

And of course the value you get per armor point will decrease. If that wasn't the case, I would hit my 75% resistance with ease. And they don't want that. They want your build to be specifically for tanking if you plan on doing super tanking. It makes sense if you step back and think about it.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Captain
# 24
12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
When using Aux2SIF3, at my usual 48-58 aux I will heal...

I meant as far as the damage resist goes. Aux2SIF3 is amazing and scales well with aux power level as far as the heal goes, of course.
Captain
# 25
12-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
I meant as far as the damage resist goes. Aux2SIF3 is amazing and scales well with aux power level as far as the heal goes, of course.
Read the rest of the post and you will see I added in the effect it has on resists.