Captain
# 1 Skill effect research
12-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Anytime I'm working on a respec, there is this one issue that really throws me off. The actual effect of putting x amount of skill levels into a certain category is very much obfuscated. To know if it's worth it to put 9 instead of 6 points into a skill you basically have to rely on experience and guessing. If I search the board for info the results are scattered into individual posts through hundreds of topics and usually only talk about a single skill each. And more often than not, in the same topic there'll be another voice who vehmently disagrees. STOwiki also has basically zero information on skill scaling as well.

So I'm asking, what do you folks base your skill builds on? Is there a place on the net where all the info has been collected and I just didn't find it yet?

I have a char that still has 5 respec tokens left. I just transfered him to Tribble too, so I'll do some testing tomorrow. Would the results be interesting for anyone else? Should I try to add it to StoWiki perhaps? Am I wasting my time?
Career Officer
# 2
12-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Not sure if you dont already know about this one but there is a very VERY good skill planner on the STO Academy website : http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

There are some stored builds there too.

Although it doesnt actually state the effect its good for seeing an overall pattern to how others populate the skills tree.
Admiral Rednall
------- "May the fates hold off the coming of the storm"------
Captain
# 3
12-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Yeah I use Stoacademy extensively. Still, as you said, it won't help you figure out how much the skills affect abilities. It's good for creating a build that is valid and for sharing them, but I'm more looking for info on how to judge why a build would be good or not.
Republic Veteran
# 4
12-19-2012, 03:54 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skil...%20Effects.htm

I don't believe in a No-Win Scenario ... beat it with 21 chars
Best STFs: ISE 13:51 | CSE 13:52 | NWS 6:46 | Solo-ISE: 7:22
Visit the German STO forum: www.sto-center.de/forum
Captain
# 5
12-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
Captain
# 6
12-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Although the listed effects for weapon skills are accurate enough that is not how it works exactly. This refers to the Energy Weapons, Projectile Weapons, and Weapons Training skills as they each add a flat amount of damage based on weapon used. So they are not as effective (% wise) on say mk 12 ultra rare as they are on mk 10 greens.

This shows how it works very well.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B23l...NYVzRLRE0/edit
Thanks to queue38 for making it.
Captain
# 7
12-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxhellspawnyxxx View Post
Hey!!! I was gonna post that!
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.