Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 1331
12-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
No, there really isn't. The damage parse would come directly from an eSTF. If you'd like I'll post a video as well, although that might need to wait an extra day or two. 90% of skittle/rainbow boats DPS problems have little to do with their weapons selection.
I've seen more than enough experiances with skittle boats, no video needed, no numbers needed.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 1332
12-19-2012, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake81499 View Post
I've seen more than enough experiances with skittle boats, no video needed, no numbers needed.
So you admit it's the pilot then, and not the weapons. Works for me.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 1333
12-19-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
So you admit it's the pilot then, and not the weapons. Works for me.
Yes, from what I've seen skittle and rainbow setups are normally flown by unexperianced pilots with lousy setup. In the hands of an experianced pilot they might do fair, but I've never seen one and don't really expect to. I've seen hundreds of skittles and rainbows and cringe every time. I've also seen shuttles in STF's before they were banned, Farmers, Sabateurs, Directors, Cryers, Lost Souls, Noobes and much much more. I'll always cringe when I see a Skittle and nothing will change that. No numbers, no videos or anything else.
If you want to see what other people think of Skittles and Rainbows, read the whole forum.

I'm gonna drop this. This sig is for posting or experiances with STF's and fleet events.
Nuff said. Back to the bad STF's.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,300
# 1334
12-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
I think I see a pattern here.

One side claims that, all other factors being in working order, skittles would not detract too much from damage/success.

The other side claims that no, skittles are ineffective and bad, because they almost always are an indication of the other problems present.

I think everybody generally agrees, here, but some are curious what the overall effect is of skittles vs non-skittles, if the ship is flown "correctly" other than that.
Trouble is I don't think I've ever really seen an effective skittle/rainbow boat. They almost always have trouble taking down whatever they're shooting at without assistance, explode frequently, and then pretty much fly back in and repeat the exact same thing that sent them to respawn oblivion a few moments prior. They can be quite a menace too sometimes - fly in, get everything's attention, and then explode leaving everyone else to clean up their mess.

I've heard the argument, in Zone Chat, that equiping multiple weapon-types is more effective than using a single-type as the "enemies shields can't adapt to them all".

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,001
# 1335
12-19-2012, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Trouble is I don't think I've ever really seen an effective skittle/rainbow boat. They almost always have trouble taking down whatever they're shooting at without assistance, explode frequently, and then pretty much fly back in and repeat the exact same thing that sent them to respawn oblivion a few moments prior. They can be quite a menace too sometimes - fly in, get everything's attention, and then explode leaving everyone else to clean up their mess.

I've heard the argument, in Zone Chat, that equiping multiple weapon-types is more effective than using a single-type as the "enemies shields can't adapt to them all".
O, I was just summarising the argument, really. I didn't really see anybody disagreeing on that count, and I wouldn't ever go there myself. I was just pointing out that the argument wasn't really an argument, but confusion started by somebody wondering whether a good captain would be much hindered by mismatched weapon types.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 1336
12-19-2012, 04:49 AM
I was horrendously bored, so I decided to go full skittle-raptor with my KDF tac toon. I warned my team-mates from the get-go, but they were cool with it (advantage to almost everyone in the PESTF channel being friendly with each other) and we got started. Sufficed to say, full skittle DHCs are actually still very effective, simply because they are DHCs on a raptor. I wasn't averaging my usual 3k per hit that I get from running full disruptors, instead I was down to about 2k per hit. But I was still able to do enough damage to get get aggro and donatra aggro every so often.

So sufficed to say, skittle-boats are viable, even if not as effective as pure ships. It's mostly the player it would seem (I like to think I am a decent player, at least for PvE, I have no illusions to my scrubness at PvP), and since I am a 5/10 player, I made a skittle-boat work. I much prefer my full disruptor build however.

Anyways, sufficed to say, we won, and my team-mates were laughing at me once they realized I wasn't kidding XD.

So TL;DR =

Heretic was dumb enough to do a skittle-boat. And it worked. Wasn't as effective as a pure energy build, but can still work. So it comes down to purely player it would seem. Since I only lost 30% of my damage.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,300
# 1337
12-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I was horrendously bored, so I decided to go full skittle-raptor with my KDF tac toon. I warned my team-mates from the get-go, but they were cool with it (advantage to almost everyone in the PESTF channel being friendly with each other) and we got started. Sufficed to say, full skittle DHCs are actually still very effective, simply because they are DHCs on a raptor. I wasn't averaging my usual 3k per hit that I get from running full disruptors, instead I was down to about 2k per hit. But I was still able to do enough damage to get get aggro and donatra aggro every so often.

So sufficed to say, skittle-boats are viable, even if not as effective as pure ships. It's mostly the player it would seem (I like to think I am a decent player, at least for PvE, I have no illusions to my scrubness at PvP), and since I am a 5/10 player, I made a skittle-boat work. I much prefer my full disruptor build however.

Anyways, sufficed to say, we won, and my team-mates were laughing at me once they realized I wasn't kidding XD.

So TL;DR =

Heretic was dumb enough to do a skittle-boat. And it worked. Wasn't as effective as a pure energy build, but can still work. So it comes down to purely player it would seem. Since I only lost 30% of my damage.
In which case it would seem that the majority of the players flying around in rainbow/skittle boats simply have bad ship setups.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 1338
12-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
In which case it would seem that the majority of the players flying around in rainbow/skittle boats simply have bad ship setups.
It may not be bad ship setups so much as general incompetence in play. I mean, I was chaining abilities together like a boss, like most experienced players do (you know, constant TT uptime, CRF combined with APB and APO, the usual). A lot of those skittle and rainbow boats don't do that. Tbh, the majority of ships like that, I often wonder if they even have BOffs equipped, I see so few abilities activating.

But the reason why most of these skittle/rainbow boats die is they don't use tac team. I hardly ever see CRF/CSV/anything resembling an attack pattern. And EPtX? What's that? That's what really makes them weak and sets them apart. Their either lack of usage of BOff abilities, or incompetent usage if they do.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 53
# 1339
12-19-2012, 07:54 AM
I started as a noob with the normal stf's. I learned from people and when I was ready in skills, equipment, I started with the elites. These days I'm starting to believe that everyone is justing doing elites because it gives you lots more rewards...

Not only is it frustrating but it becomes harder and harder to find a random team that is able to get the job done..
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 1340
12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I was going to respond to Heritic last night but as I was setting there my back popped out. Ouch ouch ouch.. The kids were wanting to play STO anyhow. Now I can't get out of bed. LOL.

Way back when the earth was young, (I'm well past my 1000 days) I tried the rainbow/technicolor thing. I'd just made admiral upper half. I didn't play constantly back then like I do now. My family has even gotten involved now which they weren't back then. WoW was what we were all doing and still do every now and then.

Anyhow I was having troubles with my build. I don't remember what ship I was flying but it was before the excelsior had come out. I read as much as I could on the ship builds from the forums but I still went boom often but really no more often than anyone else.

I do recall that I tried every type of weapon that I could, switching them back and forth until I settled for APs.

One day in a enemy signal contact I saw someone blasting away with rainbows. I didn't notice at that time if he was making a dent or not. I thought it looked cool and remembered the Borg in Star Trek and how the could adapt to the weapons. Rainbows suddenly made since.

I took out all but one AP front and rear and added one of each other weapons type until the slots were full. I filled the tactical slots with directed energy consoles and went looking for a fight.

I entered a Borg enemy signal contact and started shooting away.

Hmmmm. Something was wrong. The probes weren't dying as fast as they did before. It took several seconds longer. My numbers weren't in the thousand like they weren't before. I moused over the weapons and saw that the DPS was quite a bit lower than it was before. I have the exact figures in my STO notes but they are jumbled with something else so I'm thinking they are running about 30 to 100 DPS lower.

I continued the mission until everything was dead and waited for the next round. While waiting I put everything back the way it was before. All antiproton. The mission started and things went boom again and the DPS was back where it was before.

The mission ended and I reinstalled the rainbows the way they were the first go.

The mission started and down went the numbers.

Someone yelled in chat, "LOL Rainbows." There was another remark that came by also bit it had a lot of $j)/@ in it.

Anyhow, I tried a couple more times and the numbers were low enough to make me decide against using rainbows or skittles. Plus the remarks from others were not cool and I didn't want that kind of publicity.

Rainbows and skittles are banned within my fleet. If anyone is seen using them they will be kicked. It's a small fleet of mostly family members but they know better.

To this day, if I see a ship with rainbows I am going to say in chat, "LOL Rainbows" if I get the chance.

On another note, I recently helped one member set up a fleet boat with the polarized disruptor beams. Holy moly that ship has some DPS.

Last edited by jake81499; 12-19-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM.