Career Officer
# 11
12-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I have the pack and I'm quite happy with it for my Sci toon. I use the Aventine (Tac Vesta) with 3x Aux Cannons up front. In the rear, I have 2x TriC mines and the tractor mines from the Cutting the Cord mission. In order to keep it more survivable, I use the hull/shield repair console that comes with the Sci version and I also use the Phaser beam console that comes with the Tac version for when I have a target held. Using Aux Cannons with the turn rate of the ship. I find the tractors help t keep the target from moving less so I can hit them hard when they are in my sights.
Career Officer
# 12
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I like the Aventine as well, four Tac consoles are unusual for a Sci ship and she actually can pack a bit of a punch with them. I personally prefer two of the AUX cannons and the Omega torpedo in front; a Phaser Beam Array (for the subsystem targetting), a Phaser turret and the Cutting Beam aft.
I can alternate between using two tactical officers for a bit more damage, the Omega launcher likes both the Spread and the High Yield and a Scatter Volley makes the cannons very useful. A Beta attack pattern and a Tac Team on top of that - not too bad for me. Tried using Tricobalt Mines and Mine patterns with a swift placement instead of the turret but apparently that does not suit my playstyle too much - but I am willing to experiment which is something this ship kindly allows a lot.
Or I go more Sci and debuff the hell out of the opponents.

IMHO, the complete set is a useful thing to have, I find myself using the Quantum Field Focus Phaser rather often against the heavier opponents. The Graviton Shield is IMHO one of the best features of the class - those inside get energy resistance and torpedoes, pesky fighters and even ships get pushed away (which may substitute for a Repulsor Beam setup even). The Fermion field is a nice AoE heal - not really that much but every little bit helps. The set bonus compares to Ablative Armour of the Intrepid - sans torpedo fire. Good to get out of the sticky situation with a ship that does indeed have a problem with a rather fragile hull. So Hazard Emitters are a must, I think.

I went for the Advanced Danubes for her - the tractor beams of these might not be as good as they have once been but they keep things away from me or in a target lock.

In conclusion, I found her to be the best Sci ship one can get for the money, beating the Intrepid by far.
Captain
# 13
12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Alright, I came up with a loadout for which I would like to hear your feedback. I went with the Aventine as it was the variant most people suggested (and 4 tac console slots are just insanely strong). I still have respec tokens left, so I'm redoing my skills as well. Here is the Skillset I came up with:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ciCCVesta_2555

Weapons:

Fore: 3x Aux Phaser DHCs
Rear: 1x Phaser Beam Array, 2x Tricobalt Mine Launcher

Consoles:
2x Neutromium Alloy
3x Field Generator 1x Phaser Lance or whatever it's called.
4x Phaser Relay

I didn't test it yet as I don't want to commit the respec until I get some feedback. I never used mines before, not sure that Boff Skill & Weapon Loadout will work due to possibly shared cooldowns.

The idea is to pin targets in place with Gravity Well, deal constant damage with the DHCs and sweep in and leave nasty mines with Disersal Pattern Beta to top things off.

Not sure yet which Set I'll pick for this.

Thoughts?
Captain
# 14
12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
Alright, I came up with a loadout for which I would like to hear your feedback. I went with the Aventine as it was the variant most people suggested (and 4 tac console slots are just insanely strong). I still have respec tokens left, so I'm redoing my skills as well. Here is the Skillset I came up with:

Weapons:

Consoles:
2x Neutromium Alloy
4x Phaser Relay

I didn't test it yet as I don't want to commit the respec until I get some feedback. I never used mines before, not sure that Boff Skill & Weapon Loadout will work due to possibly shared cooldowns.

The idea is to pin targets in place with Gravity Well, deal constant damage with the DHCs and sweep in and leave nasty mines with Disersal Pattern Beta to top things off.

Thoughts?
I would say forget this build, but if you already made your mind up:

first try the mine build on another ship, or without the respec. if you like it, then respec, do not go in blindly to a new ship, get a tested build, and improve it for the ship.
also mine gameplay is very... I dunno, strange, and requires too much luck, also not very versitile.

also get a RSP1, you want that, esp in a new ship (esp in a vesta )
Captain
# 15
01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post

Weapons:

Consoles:
2x Neutromium Alloy
4x Phaser Relay

Thoughts?
IMO, there is no reason to take 2 tricobalt mine launchers. You can fire 1 with one of the mine patterns, but it places the other on a global cool down iirc. CDs on tric are very long.

You would be better off with another array for use with subsystem attack or another turret.
Chingachgook told me, Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense.
Captain
# 16
01-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
IMO, there is no reason to take 2 tricobalt mine launchers. You can fire 1 with one of the mine patterns, but it places the other on a global cool down iirc. CDs on tric are very long.

You would be better off with another array for use with subsystem attack or another turret.
Two tricboalt mine launchers allow you to deploy a tricobalt mine every 30 seconds which sinks up perfectly with the cooldown of Dispersal Patterns.
Captain
# 17
01-03-2013, 08:05 AM
give the pvp forums a gander, theres a thread there that has 3 different flavors of builds=. one for each type of vesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Commander
# 18
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm running the strategic version (BTW i bought the pack), maybe my build could be useful for you as well.

SH/EN/DEF:
XI retro borg set

consoles:
1x monotanium, 1x electroceramic, 1x EPS
1x emitter array, 1x graviton generator, 1x particle generator, 1st Vesta spec console
1x phaser relay, 2nd and 3rd Vesta Spec console

weapons:
1x quad cannon (or DHC) , 1x dual beam, 1x torp
3x turret
(all energy weapons are phasers and the torp is quantum)

hangar: peregrines or shield repair drones, depends on the mission, and my role in it

i have two energy profiles, one with maxed weapon power, and one with maxed aux, and i'm changing between them. it's not very convenient compared to the aux cannon-aux energy build, but i can use the subsystem targeting abilities with my fore weaponry.

i'm too thinking in purchasing one or to romulan threat scaling (threat reducing) sci consoles, an emitter/shield proc and a particle/hull proc one.
and i also in progress to get the assimilated console to the place of the graviton generator, and the cutting beam instead one of the turrets.
Career Officer
# 19
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Science pilots wanted a buff, and we got a hell of a jump from the devs when they released this ship. I got the entire set for a mate for Christmas, and he loves it. After seeing what his UI was like, and how well the ship worked, I got one myself, and holy crap...

It's not just the awesome aux powered cannons, but everything else as well. The sheer amount of abilities is staggering. You get a perfect shield, like on the Intrepid-R, you get a sick bonus too slipstream, which helps with tour, you get the phaser lance that actually works, you get a flight deck hanger bay, you get speed and agility, you get cannons, you get serious team healing and awesome CC abilities, the list goes on and on.

I actually find myself looking at the powers bars (There has too be five of them too see all the powers and items) occasionally wondering, "What does that button do?"

Fit is as follows:

Fore Weapons: Aux Cannons, Dual Beam Phaser Banks Mk XII Very Rare, Aux Cannons
Aft Weapons: 3x Phaser Turrets Mk XII Very Rare
Mk XII Omega Set

Tac Consoles: 2x Phaser Relays Mk XII Very Rare, Deflector Dish Phaser Lance
Science Consoles: 2x Particle Generators Mk XII Very Rare, Stealth Module Mk XII Very Rare, Photonic Displacer, Fermion Transceiver
Eng Consoles: RCS Mk XII Very Rare, Wave Function Module

Boff slots:
Tac Lieutenant: Tac Team I, CRF I
Uni Ensign: E2S I
Eng Lieutenant: E2S I, A2Sif I
Uni Lt. Commander: Sci Team I, Polarize Hull II, Photonic Shockwave I
Sci Commander: Hazard I, Feedback Pulse I, Mask Energy Signature III, Gravity Well III

Doffs are trio of Tac Team Conn officer, a Gravimetric Officer, and a Deflector Officer, all very rare

It's sort of a hunter/killer, or a multi purpose vessel. Ever since I got her, I haven't lost her, which amazes me coming from a science vessel.
I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!