Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
# 1 100% Shield Penitration
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
me and a some fleet mates were in a PvP match the other day. We had a couple tac ships punch straight through our shields. full volleys of cannon fire bypassed shields completely to do damage solely to the hull of our ships.

can anyone tell me how this is done?
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,271
# 2
12-18-2012, 06:45 PM
There are a number of things that affected this. A new passive ability is available to the T4 OMEGA reputation that allows 100% of an attack to completely bypass shields (2.5% chance per shot). Another adds bonus 700+ kinetic damage with each success. Turrets have become evil in recent days.

A couple of questions:

Do you use any armour? This makes a huge difference in cutting damage to your hull.
Did you parse your combat log after?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 3
12-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Did your shields go down or did they stay up and your hull just drop like a brick?

I had an encounter the other day where a Cruiser of some sorts did the later to me. I was down to 1% and dropping after about 45ish seconds woth full shields intact.
I escaped to BC but soon became debris as the DoT killed me.

I was thinking plasma weapons, EWP, TB maybe something that one can set in for a duration. Most likely a DOff is involved.

It was very effective none the less.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
# 4
12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Did your shields go down or did they stay up and your hull just drop like a brick?

I had an encounter the other day where a Cruiser of some sorts did the later to me. I was down to 1% and dropping after about 45ish seconds woth full shields intact.
I escaped to BC but soon became debris as the DoT killed me.

I was thinking plasma weapons, EWP, TB maybe something that one can set in for a duration. Most likely a DOff is involved.

It was very effective none the less.
this is the exact thing that happend. full shields and zero hull in a few seconds.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 960
# 5
12-19-2012, 09:08 AM
The Omega T4 ability "Omega Graviton Amplifier' bills itself as allowing full shield penetration, but it really doesn't.


It does fixed (always the same, no way of increasing or decreasing it) hull damage when it procs- and visually it may show the beams/cannons/whatever bypassing the shields.


Specifically, it does 751.4 damage, which should show up in your combat logs. It procs regularly enough, but it doesn't ever do any more damage than that. I'm also fairly certain that it ignores your kinetic damage resist, given what I've seen of logs when it activates.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 163
# 6
12-20-2012, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltedground13 View Post
this is the exact thing that happend. full shields and zero hull in a few seconds.
Did you happen to see a tractor repulsor effect? IIRC, if aux is set really low, you'll take the full brunt of the hull damage, but won't get shoved at all.

500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,591
# 7
12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcadia View Post
The Omega T4 ability "Omega Graviton Amplifier' bills itself as allowing full shield penetration, but it really doesn't.


It does fixed (always the same, no way of increasing or decreasing it) hull damage when it procs- and visually it may show the beams/cannons/whatever bypassing the shields.


Specifically, it does 751.4 damage, which should show up in your combat logs. It procs regularly enough, but it doesn't ever do any more damage than that. I'm also fairly certain that it ignores your kinetic damage resist, given what I've seen of logs when it activates.
I was under the impression that ability only worked on Borg NPCs. Is it universal with what it procs on?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
# 8
12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
It could be a combination of :
  • Tier 4 passive ability (direct hull damage)
  • Directed Energy Modulation (Around 30% goes direct hull damage) with dutty (weapon drain resistance 200%)
  • Transphasic weapon? (mine/torps)
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 9
12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
might have been a transphaic cluster torp. they're fairly evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
# 10
12-23-2012, 07:29 AM
the odd part was it appeared to only be phaser cannons fired at us. nothing else. my first thought was that it was some new exploit someone had worked out.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.