Lt. Commander
Just for fun. Do you think it would be possible to create some kind of timer mechanic that lasts 15min? If yes, one could force the mission to take 15min and only complete it if timer finished and objectives are complete.

If objectives are complete before the timer, everybody is forced to wait until 15min are up.

If 15min are up, but objectives are not complete it just waits until they are.

Something like that?
Career Officer
# 2
12-19-2012, 04:20 PM
no /10chars

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 3
12-19-2012, 05:12 PM
The only use I can see for a timer would be for triggers. Forcing the player to wait for the mission to end would not help your reviews.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 4
12-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Forcing the player to wait for the mission to end would not help your reviews.
Forget bad reviews, it would earn you a metric #### ton of hate mail and denial of service complaints.
Captain
# 5
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I'd love a timer for events. And logical operators.

Like anything, it could be used for good and bad... (I mean, you can trivially make unwinnable missions)

Last edited by zahinder; 12-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Captain
# 6
12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Well, the only trick I know to approximate a timer is to set a "kill" objective that says something else in the player's display, like "Wait for timer" say.

You now have 2 opposing mobs in a walled off area you are not using on the map with an invisible wall seperating them from each other.

When you want your "timer" to start you remove the invisible wall and let them fight it out out of sight. You make sure your victim unit (the one the "kill" objective is tied to) is always much weaker than the unit there to destroy it and end your "timer."

Very clumsey and of limited utility but...
Captain
# 7
12-19-2012, 11:53 PM
I wish I could make an "hold the line for 3minutes" objectives. The same we have in several mission, including the final of the rank 4 New Romulus reputation.
OFC a "wait 15m before finishing the mission" would be stupid. But we can already do stupid things with the foundry, so it's not a real issue.
Career Officer
# 8
12-20-2012, 01:12 AM
For a "hold the line" type scenario you could have enemy npcs spawn and patrol towards you and you have to kill all of them

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Career Officer
# 9
12-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I've experimented with timers quite a bit now. Pathing and visibility triggers are the key to adjustable timers. With pathing, adjusting the speed of the pathing mob can tweak things nicely. Triggering visibility on a second group to kill on the opposite end of the path after the first is dead doubles the timer immediately, etc.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.