Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Commander
Simple question:

If using a Threat Scaling Console that ADDS Threat Generation, does it also increase the passive defense bonus in the same fashion as "Threat Control" Captain skill does?

PLEASE no attempts at answering this from players. I want a definitive answer from a dev!

Cheers!
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Why not from a player? We can click it on and off and see, too. Besides, dev posts in this forum are exceedingly rare, the PVP forum might give you a decent chance for a dev answer on a mechanics question like this.

It's not a bonus to the skill, which has two separate effects. It's only a bonus to the threat effect.

Last edited by hevach; 12-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Commander
# 3
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Why not from a player? We can click it on and off and see, too. Besides, dev posts in this forum are exceedingly rare, the PVP forum might give you a decent chance for a dev answer on a mechanics question like this.

It's not a bonus to the skill, which has two separate effects. It's only a bonus to the threat effect.
Why not from a player? Because the tendency of forum moderators is to see that the post has a reply and not look at it.

As to the second part of your reply, I myself can look and see that the skill is not modified in my character sheet. That doesn't necessarily answer the question since the exact working of the tooltip says "when active" and there is no explanation of when it is "active."

I want to increase my threat if it affects the defense bonus because I PvP and the defense bonus from Threat Control affects PvP.

As far as the PvP forum, I talk to most of the players that post there every day, and half of them think it does, the other half think it doesn't.

Hence, my request for a clarification from some that actually knows the answer. Which would be a dev.
Commander
# 4
12-19-2012, 12:32 AM
You won't get a dev reply in this forum.

edit: apparently there's a first time for everything.

Last edited by thepantsparty; 12-21-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
12-19-2012, 05:36 AM
It's active when you enable it. The consoles can be toggled on and off by a hotbar power they enable. When inactive you get the basic stats, which are still some of the best consoles in the game but with fewer options, when enabled you also get the increased threat generation.

At no point enabled or disabled does any part of the system actually increase your threat generation skill.
Career Officer
# 6
12-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It's active when you enable it. The consoles can be toggled on and off by a hotbar power they enable. When inactive you get the basic stats, which are still some of the best consoles in the game but with fewer options, when enabled you also get the increased threat generation.

At no point enabled or disabled does any part of the system actually increase your threat generation skill.
err I have 3 of these consoles on one of my toons and 2 on another, no where in my abilities list or on my action bar is anything relating to activating them or deactivating them
Captain
# 7
12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
tbh I understand OP's reaction to no player answers. S7 is so full of typos, and misleading information, that anything from someone who has the same sources as me (or OP), is not reliable.

the logical (but not definitive) answer is that the threat scaling consoles say they increase threat generation, and not threat control.
Commander
# 8
12-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
tbh I understand OP's reaction to no player answers. S7 is so full of typos, and misleading information, that anything from someone who has the same sources as me (or OP), is not reliable.

the logical (but not definitive) answer is that the threat scaling consoles say they increase threat generation, and not threat control.
And therein lies the rub. The term "Threat Generation" is not used in the descriptions of threat control skill. So the question in essence, is: Are the terms "Threat Generation" and "Threat Control" two different terms for the exact same thing or is "THreat Generation" an aspect of "Threat Control?"

I've tried to test in combat whether I can see any difference in my "Bonus Defense" value with and without the consoles, and I could swear I noticed some strange jumps in BDV that SEEMED to be connected to the plasma fire proc, but I could just be trippin' ...

Since I have Threat Control maxed on all my toons for PvP purposes, if there is additional bonus defense, I want plus threat, if bonus defense is NOT affected, then I would want to go minus threat and get to fly through STFs etc. without ever getting shot at.

The tricky part is that is says it is a % increase to threat generation. Therefore, it has to modify SOMETHING, which would SEEM to be the Threat Control skill.

Thses are such awesome consoles, it's a shame we don't get a clearer explanation of how they work. (Especially considering they are a NEW addition to the game)
Captain
# 9
12-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguitar View Post
And therein lies the rub. The term "Threat Generation" is not used in the descriptions of threat control skill. So the question in essence, is: Are the terms "Threat Generation" and "Threat Control" two different terms for the exact same thing or is "THreat Generation" an aspect of "Threat Control?"

I've tried to test in combat whether I can see any difference in my "Bonus Defense" value with and without the consoles, and I could swear I noticed some strange jumps in BDV that SEEMED to be connected to the plasma fire proc, but I could just be trippin' ...

Since I have Threat Control maxed on all my toons for PvP purposes, if there is additional bonus defense, I want plus threat, if bonus defense is NOT affected, then I would want to go minus threat and get to fly through STFs etc. without ever getting shot at.

The tricky part is that is says it is a % increase to threat generation. Therefore, it has to modify SOMETHING, which would SEEM to be the Threat Control skill.

Thses are such awesome consoles, it's a shame we don't get a clearer explanation of how they work. (Especially considering they are a NEW addition to the game)
also consider the -threat consoles. if they decrease threat control, then they are penalizing you, which should not happen with a console, so that is why I think they chose to increase and decrease the threat generation, and not the threat skill.

but yeah, if it increased threat control, I would go for it, even for my pvp build (its not like any other high dps ship is flying ingame, to takeaway aggro )
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
12-21-2012, 01:38 PM
There is no +/- Resistance associated with the Threat Scaling portion of these consoles. These are solely Threat modifying additions, and are not directly associated with the "Threat Control" skill (though they do interact with one another).

How they work is very simple... without any additional variables thrown into consideration, 1 point of damage equates to 1 point of Threat against any particular AI enemy. Therefore 100 Damage = 100 Threat.

If you are using a Console or Skill that increases your Threat by 10%, then 100 Damage becomes 110 Threat, causing that particular enemy to consider you more dangerous than a friend that deals the same damage without any Threat modifiers.

Conversely, if you are using a -10% Console, that 100 Damage becomes 90 Threat.

This isn't restricted to damage, either. Proximity, healing, buffing, and a whole range of other actions will also add Threat to nearby AI enemies. These consoles modify all of those values.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...