Login

Captain
# 21
12-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
yeah right
remember its ILLEGAL for a reason
Teens having sex with each other is illegal...

1. In barabaric theocracies.

2. And their reasons are idiotic and easily dismissed.
# 22
12-21-2012, 05:31 PM
due to a recent volcano eruption the end of the world has been delayed.
Career Officer
# 23
12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I get bored, stood on a street corner waving a " The world is ending " banner and I wake up in the morning reading the paper and found out it went viral.

You needs YouTube?
Join Date : September 2010. Still boldly going forward because Cryptic couldn't be bothered to install reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who know me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Rihannsu
# 24
12-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Teens having sex with each other is illegal...

1. In barabaric theocracies.

2. And their reasons are idiotic and easily dismissed.
"barbaric theocracy" has nothing to do with it.....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 25
12-21-2012, 10:24 PM
How the hell did we get to theocracies?
People worry about the unknown, many fear it. The end of the world means death and nobody really knows what happens after that, the ultimate unknown. Religions claim to know what happens, but have no real way to prove it. Science claims that death is the end of consciousness, but has no way to disprove the possibility that consciousness continues in some form beyond death, so the answer remains an unknown.
As for being disappointed, it's not so much disappointment that the world didn't end, it's disappointment that the world didn't change in some significant way, that some new adventure didn't take place to lift people out of the drudgery of their mundane daily lives.
Captain
# 26
12-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Science claims that death is the end of consciousness, but has no way to disprove the possibility that consciousness continues in some form beyond death, so the answer remains an unknown.
You can't disprove something that doesn't exist.

At its core, random apoclypses are religious in nature. They depend upon invisible guiding forces to the universe. Supernatural causes. Some are full throated Revelation stuff. Some are just moonbats replacing old timey faith with crystals and pyramid builders. But all are nonsense. The universe is full if ways to kill us, no need to make things up.

And we're on to theocracies becaus trollvax has the attitudes of someone who'd enjoy living in one and isn't afraid to post them.

Last edited by twg042370; 12-21-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Lieutenant
# 27
12-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I worry about the "End of the World" because if the world ends, I'll be dead. And I don't want to be dead. Being dead is bad.
Captain
# 28
12-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
You can't disprove something that doesn't exist.
Prove it. Without quantifiable measurable proof it's just theory and opinion, not fact, science does not have all the answers, not yet and not for a very long time. The same can be said for religion.
We've now drifted into the realm of philosophy which frankly I have no interest in indulging in in a gaming forum.
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
12-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Theocracy??

Ah you mean like EVERY country in Europe??

As to life after death
it exists
it has to

A Human being consists of a lump of meat a pile of bones some fluids and an electrical charge
The matter of course continues to exist in some form (you can't destroy matter merely change its state)
The Electrical charge eventually fades

but the bit thats you
your Animus your soul your spirit call it what you will
is as eternal as the cosmos itself

Because its thought
the one thing that actually Can travel faster than light
Ensign
# 30
12-22-2012, 11:19 AM
First off, let's start with arguing this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post

As to life after death
it exists
it has to
It does not have to. In fact, it makes just as much sense to say it doesn't exist. Because if we have some life force, where is it? In which part of the body does it reside? Why can we not detect it? There is no fundamental law of the universe which states "living things must have some mystical life force." Your thoughts and the way you think is based upon how the different regions of your brain are interconnected. There is no reason to say "There must be some life force inside us all." Although, just to be clear, I'm not saying that it is impossible either. I'm only saying that it is possible to explain life without some unknown factor.

On the topic of why people are obsessed with the end of the world, there are a number of reasons.

1: Ignorance & Fear - People don't know how everything works. We might think we do, but we don't. And people are afraid of what they don't understand. They don't understand how the Mayans, an ancient and comparatively primitive people, could make an accurate calendar so long ago. Therefore they think the Mayans have some special understanding of the universe, because they don't understand it. They also don't understand how the long-run calendar works. They don't really know the Mayan myths, so they jump to conclusions. The 13th baktun, (i.e. cycle of the long-run calendar) which is what 2012 is, is not supposed to mean the world will end. The original stories only say that some significant changes will begin to occur.

2: Reality - The world WILL end. Perhaps not today, or tomorrow, or a thousand years from now. But eventually, it must end. Whether it be during the sun's final stages, a large rock hurtling into the planet, an alien attack, or ourselves, eventually the Earth must be destroyed. The fact that it was created at some point in time mandates this. Since it had a beginning, it must have an ending. Ultimately, everything that we know must end. Our solar system, our galaxy, perhaps even our universe, will one day cease to exist. This scares people. They don't like it. I don't like it either, but it's reality. Nothing can last forever, and that's just the way it is.

Also before you rage at me screaming "You're wrong!!!" keep in mind this is solely my opinion, based on the facts that I know and what I believe to be true. Look these things up for yourselves and believe what you like, but don't try to convince me I'm wrong. You won't be able to do it, just like I cannot convince you to believe what I believe.