Career Officer
# 21
12-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
If you're dying MULTIPLE times, you're doing it wrong. Not every opponent is designed to attack in the same manner. Agreed the Tholian Captain put a new level of difficulty for ground opponents - so change your tactics Captain Kirk!

Here is how my under-powered engineer solved the problem with only 1 death:
  1. Position your away team two to a side of the corridor. Note: 'corridor' NOT big room with no defensible positions.
  2. Move to the edge of the room entrance.
  3. Target an away team member. (important - to prevent accidental start of this process.)
  4. Moving backward towards your team, deploy a phaser turret, then a quantum mortar. Note: these are little more than a distraction to the Tholian's.
  5. Place a hard shield slightly facing slightly to the right or left (the gold one) and then finally a health gen.
  6. Go to the gap on the left or right (the shield should be covering the health generator)
  7. Slowly move up until you can target 1 of the rooms occupants. Fire and move back slowly.
  8. Commence Tholian Executions.
  9. Repeat 2x with Commander waves, then for the final Captain wave.

STO gave you the tools and designed it so that a smart player could box the Tholian waves in. Fighting in the open is foolish against a weapons system that can easily kill you in 1-2 shots.

Funnel your opponent into your trap. They will try to rush in, but now you're focusing 3-5 attacks on a a single target automatically. The floor weapons (phaser turrets) act as targets to keep the main attack of your team.

Obviously, Sonic weapons plays a HUGE role adding almost 25% damage to each volley, depending on the weapon. Fully auto weapons really make use of the sonic bonus here, adding 7.5 damage to each shot.

Grenades are a problem in confined spaces, one nasty side effect is that it will propel a Tholian Commander or two OVER your shield and behind you. You can simply turn around and destroy them quickly before they knock out your heals.

-------

I've now run this successfully with no HERO deaths for SCI, TAC and Engineer toons with both factions.

The biggest challenge you will face is your own lack of planning.

Admiral Thrax
That's all well and good... but as a SCI toon I have none of those advantages.
......... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.
.......................SARCASM... Just Another Service I Offer...
Career Officer
# 22
12-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
I think people's perception of this mission depends largely on how well they've adapted to STO's ground combat. It's no secret most players focus more on space and either don't bother with or actively dislike the ground combat. I personally didn't play it much and wasn't very good at it until I spent some time on Nukara.

Now, speaking as somebody who is solidly... decent at ground combat, I didn't have much trouble. I got knocked out once, but revived by a BO. I had to revive one of them once or twice, that's about it. I didn't even bother equipping my Tholian ground set, was just using my Elite Fleet gear. Granted, that's good gear, but good gear is part of being ready for content. You could probably do almost as well with purple armor/shields and some Sonic AP weapons off the exchange (for next to no cost).
If one doesn't play ELITE, how does one use Elite Gear???

They should post a warning at the start of this mission indicating that THAT Type of Gear is needed.

Which would probably mean that a very large part of the player base wouldn't even try.

A Fun game gives you a chance... this was not fun.
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 12-22-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Captain
# 23
12-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Heads up for level 4. Make sure you have enough EV suits for your whole away team.
Career Officer
# 24
12-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
This is, sadly, the answer Cryptic has to the "It's not challenging enough" complaint.

Rather than make the bosses SMARTER (healing, buffing, focusing on one character then taking out the easier ones) they just zerg rush and create OHKO's.
They should not be making the main story of the game that difficult for casual/average players.

Create side missions to appease the Elitists if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
Heads up for level 4. Make sure you have enough EV suits for your whole away team.
Should I even bother?
Captain
# 25
12-22-2012, 02:45 AM
The Tier missions are the only real story content on New Romulus so it is worth it to run the mission. Besides it only costs 1 cent to purchase a EV suit based on the current dilithium exchange rate.
Career Officer
# 26
12-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The Tier missions are the only real story content on New Romulus so it is worth it to run the mission. Besides it only costs 1 cent to purchase a EV suit based on the current dilithium exchange rate.
The 'cost' isn't the problem with the Fun Factor, it's the 'one shot shield destroyer' that recent NPC's suddenly have, when nothing like this has been encountered through the missions before.

It's the "Elite-Klingon-Sword-Master-In-Normal-Mode" all over again...

And the fact that my Science Toon on the ground, has nowhere near the stopping powers that TAC's and ENG's have.
Commander
# 27
12-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
My SCI toon didn't stand a chance, I have the Physicist Mk X Kit...
Why are you only carrying one kit around? Personally I carry another 5 in my inv so I can switch out if I feel I need too.

My only complaint about the mission is the fact that the respawn point for the final room is too close to the aggro radius unless you wait for the enemies to return to their original position which does force a zerg rush tactic against them.