Captain
# 41
12-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikephorus View Post
It has the same amount of bridge officer abilities as any cruiser just in a different layout I fail to see how it is overpowered...

...The only thing you mentioned is that it has two LtCmd bridge officer spots. That alone doesn't make the ship OP..nor does the console layout which is actually just very balanced...

...So again I challenge you to tell me exactly what is so OP about my suggested Ambassador build, because I just don't see it.
Capability. What this ship would be capable of with your BOff setup alone is what makes it overpowered. And you say it's balanced? This is a cruiser bro. Cruisers aren't balanced. They lean towards engi.

Your ship has access to high level abilities in ALL categories. That's what makes it "overpowered". Let's take your stock Assault Cruiser as an example. It's weakness is it's Tactically and Scientifically inferior. Especially as science goes. Let's take the other ship you brought up, the Excelsior. It's weakness is science again.

Your ship has no weak point. It has access to level 3 science, engineering, AND tactical abilities. Also given the stats you gave it, it's ability to dominate will be almost unbreakable. You would make most other cruisers obsolete, I daresay you will even challenge, if not outright beat even the Odyssey for how adaptable your ship would be. Your ship isn't a cruiser. Not in the slightest. Allow me to put some facts down for you:

All cruisers (yes, ALL, including KDF battlecruisers) have a Commander level Engineering BOff slot. There is no exception to this rule.

All cruisers are variable in their console layout, always leaning towards one particular strength/weakness (ex. Excel and FAC are tactical and engi oriented with weakness in science, Oddy (freebie) and FSC are science and engi oriented with weakness in tac, Galaxy and Galaxy-r are engi oriented with weakness in sci and tac).

Your cruiser (I shudder to call it that), has NONE of those weaknesses. And to make things worse, it gives up little to nothing in exchange. It is too modular, too adaptable. And you have the gall to call it not op?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 42
12-22-2012, 09:40 PM
How about this Idea?

Crew 750

4 fore weapons,
4 aft weapons,
Bridge officer layout:
Commander Universal,
Lt. Commander Universal
LT Universal,
Ensign Universal.

4 Engineering slots,
3 Science slot
3 tac slots.
come with special console that can only be used in cruisers that gives torpedos DPS boost against shields.

That way any type of captain can enjoy the ship no matter what their carreer is.
Lieutenant
# 43
12-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Not sure if trolling or just not reading...

Heretic, thank you or that wonderful post on how balance in this game works. Its surprising that some people haven't managed to figure out the pattern.
Even So called pay to win ships are balanced very similarly.

Its a pretty decent system
Captain
# 44
12-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
How about this Idea?

Crew 750

4 fore weapons,
4 aft weapons,
Bridge officer layout:
Commander Universal,
Lt. Commander Universal
LT Universal,
Ensign Universal.

4 Engineering slots,
3 Science slot
3 tac slots.
come with special console that can only be used in cruisers that gives torpedos DPS boost against shields.

That way any type of captain can enjoy the ship no matter what their carreer is.
At that point, you just join the KDF and fly a BoP. . .because that's nearly identical to a BoP, just one extra eng console, 2 more rear weapon slots, and one less Boffslot.

Also, you can have our all-universal boffslot setup over our cold, dead bodies.
Captain
# 45
12-23-2012, 12:23 AM
As for this thread, I say 'Bah, humbug!'.

You feddies do not effing need yet another shiny toy. I don't give a damn how long you fanboys have been waiting for a useless ship like the Ambassador, you don't need another ship.

How about we starve the fed side of content for a while, so they can see what it's like on the KDF side? You guys need a content diet. Meanwhile, we can focus all efforts from now until Season 8 release on giving the KDF stuff it's needed for months and months, and maybe the Kirk enthusiasts amongst ya'll would actually bother to play KDF.

A pox on your Ambassador-class ship. The very name itself disgusts me.
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-23-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm hoping that in all of this, while Feds get their Ambassador, the Klingons will get the K'Vort. I'm surprised there aren't threads popping up about it, but I'm hoping for awesomeness, here. I'm aware the K'Vort is little more then a gigantic B'Rel without wing animations, but that's what makes it so awesome.

A Battlecruiser K'Vort..
Captain
# 47
12-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
How about this Idea?

Crew 750

4 fore weapons,
4 aft weapons,
Bridge officer layout:
Commander Universal,
Lt. Commander Universal
LT Universal,
Ensign Universal.

4 Engineering slots,
3 Science slot
3 tac slots.

I have no words for this. Actually I do have one thing to say. That torp console... no. As for the rest of it... I really have no words to describe my reaction...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
12-23-2012, 01:10 AM
If the free one came out with no Boff slots, no console slots and a Mark I engine I'd be happy, and all this about the Federation getting another ship, I hate to break it to you folks but Star Trek was based around the UFP with the occasional story involving the Klingons, the back catalogue of Starfleet ships is a far greater resource and the interest in them is very high.
Been on STO since Beta and a fully fledged veteran with the scars to prove it.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlebeck View Post
If the free one came out with no Boff slots, no console slots and a Mark I engine I'd be happy, and all this about the Federation getting another ship, I hate to break it to you folks but Star Trek was based around the UFP with the occasional story involving the Klingons, the back catalogue of Starfleet ships is a far greater resource and the interest in them is very high.
Implying STO is Star Trek.

STO is no more Star Trek then Star Fleet Battles was.
Captain
# 50
12-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlebeck View Post
I just had a really novel idea. Instead of making the Ambassador a completely new ship, why not just make it a skin for an existing ship? Like the tier 3 excelsior, can come with the Ambassador skin. Or the tier 2 cruiser, since that ship about matches the level of fail that the Ambassador deserves to be entitled with.

All trolling and truth aside, I seriously think it would be better as a skin as opposed to an entirely new ship.