Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 11
12-22-2012, 04:29 PM
It's true that you really don't need TT in PvE, but it can be helpful for saving teammates/the Kang if things go **** up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with torps, however you'd get a lot more mileage using something like a plasma torp up fore (from what I hear the plasma energy consoles buff the torp DoT). You could also consider the two-piece KHG bonus but since it's likely you're still grinding the rep system I can understand sticking with Aegis for the time being.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
# 12
12-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
It's true that you really don't need TT in PvE, but it can be helpful for saving teammates/the Kang if things go **** up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with torps, however you'd get a lot more mileage using something like a plasma torp up fore (from what I hear the plasma energy consoles buff the torp DoT). You could also consider the two-piece KHG bonus but since it's likely you're still grinding the rep system I can understand sticking with Aegis for the time being.
Imma guess you didn't get to read my post. TT is fine. Depending on why you have it. If you're running it primarily to balance your shields things may not be so good. But that isn't the fault of TT. And for PVE in any case you can likely get away with just one. Not two. Except for maybe that escort the freighter mission where almost all you really need to be stellar is two copies of TT.

So things change according to each mission and it can be vey helpful to change up according to what it is you'll be doing. If that's the sorta thing you like. I know I like to mess around and make a core to my build, and then leave room for adjustments around that depending on my opponent.

Cheers and happy flying!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
# 13
12-22-2012, 10:02 PM
The only way I can see you only needing 1 TT is if you have the DOFFs to bring the cooldown to 15 seconds.

I don't, nor do I intend on spending the time/resources to obtain them in the near future.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 144
# 14
12-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
And to anyone saying drop torpedoes and running two tac teams. I hope that's for PVP and just because your not really sure how this all works. In that case I would say it makes perfect sense. Otherwise if not you may want to rethink your builds.

Cheers happy flying!
TT imho is one of the best skill available, for pvp absolute necessary and for pve quite nice

1. It boost damage
2. It removes bording parties
3. it makes shield more efficent
4. It can be used in combination with TTS to help save kang/freighters in STFs/Fleet actions

IMHO torpedos can be recplaced by energy weapons when you running a +weapon power overcap build.

For PvE 1 copy of TT maybe enough if you don't want to use it in your cycle and use it when necessary. However, running a cannon build without torpedos there is no other skill in the tac tier1. And, as I already said:

4 DHCs + CSV/CRF >> 3 DHCs + 1 Torp + CSV/CRF and THY1 ... imho.

Last edited by xiphenon; 12-22-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
# 15
12-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
IMHO torpedos can be recplaced by energy weapons when you running a +weapon power overcap build.
Exactly. A nice Beam Overload crit can do 30k+ damage with some frequency. That's more then I see out of most HY3 salvos from my torp boat, all 4 torps accounted for. And it's an incredible shield buster. Can bring down a cube's shield face in one shot in an ESTF with a BO3 and a DBB.

That's why I like a DBB and BO. The spike damage is unreal. Especially with the 10% bonus after decloaking. If you combine it with Nadeon inversion, EPS or EP2W, there's virtually no power drain in that opening salvo and anything short of a tac cube won't have a shield face anymore, which leaves the slower rounds from the CRF you popped at the same time free to sail right in moments later.

EPS+Nadeon+TT1+CRF+BO, decloak, spike, is hilarious.

Last edited by wunjee; 12-22-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 144
# 16
12-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunjee View Post
Exactly. A nice Beam Overload crit can do 30k+ damage with some frequency.
BO3 is a real killer, escpacially when you alpha with a weapon batt I used it in my BoP, more in PvP to alpha strike. Only problem is the high miss rate (in PvP). But I think in PvM the miss rate should be much lower.

PS: you can even preload it and combine it with BO2. Alpha strike with BO3 and BO2 with a weapon bat and EPTW is realy nasty

Last edited by xiphenon; 12-23-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
# 17
12-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphenon View Post
TT imho is one of the best skill available, for pvp absolute necessary and for pve quite nice

1. It boost damage
2. It removes bording parties
3. it makes shield more efficent
4. It can be used in combination with TTS to help save kang/freighters in STFs/Fleet actions

IMHO torpedos can be recplaced by energy weapons when you running a +weapon power overcap build.

For PvE 1 copy of TT maybe enough if you don't want to use it in your cycle and use it when necessary. However, running a cannon build without torpedos there is no other skill in the tac tier1. And, as I already said:

4 DHCs + CSV/CRF >> 3 DHCs + 1 Torp + CSV/CRF and THY1 ... imho.
1) Running a cannon build isn't optimal. So saying TT is the best skill for a sub optimal build is fine by me.

2) Anything you said regarding PVE or PVE I already said. Unless you're running your suboptimal cannon build, you still only need one. If you have room and you'd really like two, go ahead.

Whats your point really? Did you just not wish to read my post, just comment on a comment?

And as far as your honest opinion, guess what that is? Your right, an opinion. An opinion that your not lying about. Why toss that in? Are you known for lying? Why would we believe you now if you are?

Your honest opinion on what is or isn't better for regarding cannons is GREAT!

Especially for someone that seems to have issues with breaking down an opponents shields. So please, if you find that you have some type of problem in that area, maybe you should work on that. Maybe you should preface your rating system by saying something like this:

"If you really like keybinds, cycles, and slamming your face on the keyboard until something dies, please use my new priority system."

That could save a LOT of people from reading your posts.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
# 18
12-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphenon View Post
BO3 is a real killer, escpacially when you alpha with a weapon batt I used it in my BoP, more in PvP to alpha strike. Only problem is the high miss rate (in PvP). But I think in PvM the miss rate should be much lower.

PS: you can even preload it and combine it with BO2. Alpha strike with BO3 and BO2 with a weapon bat and EPTW is realy nasty

Wow. Now this thread is about beam overload and birds of prey? Okay so maybe the OP may want to wander into PVP. He did say that.

Pro tip, if your critting for 30k in PVP with your BO, find a new line of work. And if 'that's more than your seeing' from your torpedos, well same advice. That's pretty sorry.

Just because YOU aren't doing it, doesn't mean it isn't being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzfAObZKOI

Cause it is.

And preloading a wep bat is dire.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 144
# 19
12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
1) Running a cannon build isn't optimal. So saying TT is the best skill for a sub optimal build is fine by me.
My apologizes, but I missed you very detailed first post for some reason. The last vid about the fleet thorkat is very nice. However, you are using fleet AP DHCs by your own. So what do you mean with your statement that using cannon build is sub optimal? Do you mean a pure cannon build?

If this is so, it is more is a matter of situation. Torps offer high burst damage, but compared to a maximized DHC lesser the dps, at least according to the tooltip.

In fact, in past I used GW + CSV (strip shields) and then TS and found this quite effective in STFs, but read alot in the forums and came to the impression that the dps using pure fore cannon build should be more effective in total (not in all situation though). Never investigated it by using a damage meter. So, maybe you have some numbers actually showing that replacing DHC against torp gives you an average higher dps by initial burst?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
# 20
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Less DPS, but also less opportunities for big crits.

Even on my Fed torp boat where I have 3 front photons and spam a torp every 1.6 seconds, dealing pretty damn good DPS against unshielded targets, crits, while big, are less frequent and not much bigger then the crits you can get from DHCs, which you get far more frequently.

I don't see anything wrong with a cannon build, but even I won't run a full 4-cannon build, which is why I keep the DBB for spike/shield-busting. I'm all too aware of how effective torps can be, but I don't think they're needed on the Flor'Kaht.

Even with my build I still out-DPS 99% of the retarded Fed pubbie rainbow-boats I get teamed with in ESTFs, so..
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 AM.