Lt. Commander
Gamespot was at this year's Gamescom and took some time to get behind closed doors with Craig Zinkievich. Check out their impressions here.
From the article:

Zinkievich said one of his favourite tactics is to have his science officer use a tacyon beam to knock out an enemy's shields, and then use his tactical officer to destroy the craft with torpedoes. After taking care of the Klingon ships, we discovered that some of the Klingons had beamed down to the surface to attack the monastery, and we beamed down to follow them.  

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Thats an awesome aritcle, can't wait to try out tacyon beam.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
thank you for posting this , i cant wait to play this
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
great article, but when are we going to get something new? Also all of these articles read as though the writer is watching the developer play the game. Does that mean that the game is so far off that it is not playable at all. other than very limited missions? If so, then it is going to be a very long time until release.

I want to hear from someone, other than than a cryptic employee, who has actually played the game. Third person MMO watching then reporting just isn't that great.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
I kinda giggled at the non-bb code for break in the OP that didn't translate properly.

Quote:
"These are massive ships with over 100 men."
Aha hahaha hahahha hahahha ha ha ha hahahaha.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Good article, and it seems they liked it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-24-2009, 06:49 PM
"Star Trek Online is shaping up to be a Trekkie's dream, with plenty of .... diplomatic and research missions, and plenty of customisation of both the character and vehicles in the game."

Really? I'd love to hear all about those
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
The Vulcan ambassador mission, isn't that one of the first Kobayashi Maru. That's cool.

But, that's another waste of an article, it just concentrated on the combat again. I got absolutely no indication whether there was any leeway in how the mission can be carried out. The only indication of how missions works is where they say, "Despite the immediate hostilities". That indicates, just as with the PC Gamer article, that the missions are your average excuse for a string of fights, nothing more, and that the scientific and diplomatic missions are actually scientific and diplomatic segways into fights that require no critical thinking, nor interpersonal ability.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2009, 07:50 PM
A little bit disappointing to see that nine out of ten user comments on the site were negative. Hope that doesnt bode poorly for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Despite the fact that this article did not really bring any new information to the table, it was still relatively enjoyable and it's nice to nice the game getting coverage on some of the larger gaming sites so it's not really an issue.