Captain
# 31
12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
No, it was spinal wave disruptors against a shield without ResA or ResB.
Wouldn't it have been best to test with Common weapons - no modifiers/procs?
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Career Officer
# 32
12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Here are the relevant raw formulas:

total shield damage reduction = product of individual shield damage reductions

So if you have a shield resist of 25% and a second one of 25%, they will give 1 - (1-.25) * (1-.25) = 1 - .75^2 = 43.75%. (A resist of x% corresponds to a damage reduction factor of 1-x/100).

The damage reduction factor from shield power is calculated as (1 - shield power * 0.0028).

To read the combat log entries, you have to understand the structure. Each line contains two numbers and each shot against shields will give two lines (one for shield damage, the other one for hull damage).

The values in these two lines are:

Shield damage: x (y) with
x = base damage * (1 - shield power * 0.0028) * (product of other shield reductions) * 0.9
y = base damage * (1 - hull resist) * 0.9 (with 0.95 instead of 0.9 in case of resilient shields)
x is the net damage done to the shields. y is the avoided hull damage.

Hull damage: x (y) with
x = base damage * (1 - hull resist) * 0.1 (with .05 instead of .1 in case of resilient shields)
y = base damage

This way if one knows the base damage (from the hull damage line) and all factors in the shield damage line except one, one can calculate that unknown factor.
http://hilbertguide.com
Commander
# 33
12-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Here are the relevant raw formulas:

total shield damage reduction = product of individual shield damage reductions

So if you have a shield resist of 25% and a second one of 25%, they will give 1 - (1-.25) * (1-.25) = 1 - .75^2 = 43.75%. (A resist of x% corresponds to a damage reduction factor of 1-x/100).

The damage reduction factor from shield power is calculated as (1 - shield power * 0.0028).

To read the combat log entries, you have to understand the structure. Each line contains two numbers and each shot against shields will give two lines (one for shield damage, the other one for hull damage).

The values in these two lines are:

Shield damage: x (y) with
x = base damage * (1 - shield power * 0.0028) * (product of other shield reductions) * 0.9
y = base damage * (1 - hull resist) * 0.9 (with 0.95 instead of 0.9 in case of resilient shields)
x is the net damage done to the shields. y is the avoided hull damage.

Hull damage: x (y) with
x = base damage * (1 - hull resist) * 0.1 (with .05 instead of .1 in case of resilient shields)
y = base damage

This way if one knows the base damage (from the hull damage line) and all factors in the shield damage line except one, one can calculate that unknown factor.
Not sure if math...

>_>

... or witchcraft.
# 34
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i think the question is, at what powerlevel, and with EPtS3, are you already at a 75% cap? is that kinda easy to get? is that energy level under 100?

if it is, the problem with this shield is that you can have that 75% wile your shield power is set to 25.
125 Shield Power - 35%
EPtS3 - 30%
RSF - 30%
ES - 30%
TSS - 15%

Course, some of those are modified by power levels. That would put you over the cap - even without the shield power, the remaining base values put you at ~71%.

A) 125 Shield Power and EPtS3 is giving you 54.5%...
B) 25 Shield Power and EPtS3 is giving you 34.9%...

"A)" with the 5 stack would put you at ~73.1%...
"B)" with the 5 stack would put at ~61.6%...

Given the various other abilities, how they're affected by power, etc, etc, etc... it shouldn't be that hard to hit the cap without having to jump through hoops to get there.

25 Shield Power, EPtS1, and a 5 stack would put you at ~55%...

So 25 power/EPtS1 with the shields is ~1% better than 125 power/EPtS3 without the shields...
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Empire Veteran
# 35
12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
125 Shield Power - 35%
EPtS3 - 30%
RSF - 30%
ES - 30%
TSS - 15%

Course, some of those are modified by power levels. That would put you over the cap - even without the shield power, the remaining base values put you at ~71%.

A) 125 Shield Power and EPtS3 is giving you 54.5%...
B) 25 Shield Power and EPtS3 is giving you 34.9%...

"A)" with the 5 stack would put you at ~73.1%...
"B)" with the 5 stack would put at ~61.6%...

Given the various other abilities, how they're affected by power, etc, etc, etc... it shouldn't be that hard to hit the cap without having to jump through hoops to get there.

25 Shield Power, EPtS1, and a 5 stack would put you at ~55%...

So 25 power/EPtS1 with the shields is ~1% better than 125 power/EPtS3 without the shields...
lulz, fo real. have resA or resB, and you will be caped if the right type shoots at you
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 36
12-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Coolness just the math I was craving!

It should be noted that the damage resist is only against 1 type of damage. If anything these shields discourage everyone running the same damage type.
Career Officer
# 37
12-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocp001 View Post
It should be noted that the damage resist is only against 1 type of damage. If anything these shields discourage everyone running the same damage type.
You can build up stacks against all energy types simultaneously. And since one attacker is enough to build up a full stack within seconds, there is really not much to gain by using different energy types.

(It's a bit different for the ResA and ResB things, but three energy types is still a lot for just one modifier.)
Career Officer
# 38
12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
You can build up stacks against all energy types simultaneously. And since one attacker is enough to build up a full stack within seconds, there is really not much to gain by using different energy types.

(It's a bit different for the ResA and ResB things, but three energy types is still a lot for just one modifier.)
With my [ResA] [Adapt] resilient shields I usually see stacks of around 5. (As it should be)

Doh just caught my logic error. Reading with math while super tired...

Last edited by ocp001; 12-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Career Officer
# 39
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocp001 View Post
With my [ResA] [Adapt] resilient shields I usually see stacks of around 5. I can't remember seeing a stack of 10. I can't discount it however.
It's stacks of 5 from [Adapt]. But one stack of 5 for each energy type.

I haven't tested ResA/ResB shields yet, but I expect them to work like regular [Pha]/Dis]/... shields, so the additional 15% resist is used as another factor in the resist calculations but doesn't show up as an icon in the UI.
Career Officer
# 40
12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Why can't we just have something that ****ing WORKS for a change? Just for 7 days I would like to come into this forum, or into a TS, or glance at OPVP and not be told "Oh by the way, XYZ is soooo broken you'd better watch yourself"

One. ****ing. Week. Cryptic.

What are you doing? Do you guys just make something then wander off and do something else? Does it not occur to you to TEST things first?