Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 241
12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
wow okay, so lets see what cryptic has to say on this.

link 1
link 2

these are just from this thread. We're not calling for a nerf, we're calling for an obvious bug to be fixed.
I really don't see a problem with dying every so often to an enemy who wants you dead. I die plenty to the Borg. And it's usually due to my own screw-ups. But every so often I do get a one-shot, which doesn't really bother me. It's part of the game, and I accept this. But I don't get why you guys keep complaining.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 294
# 242
12-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I really don't see a problem with dying every so often to an enemy who wants you dead. I die plenty to the Borg. And it's usually due to my own screw-ups. But every so often I do get a one-shot, which doesn't really bother me. It's part of the game, and I accept this. But I don't get why you guys keep complaining.
derp because its broken and we want it fixed
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 243
12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
derp because its broken and we want it fixed
Ok, so let me get this right. An end-game enemy can kill a single player with ease. And this enemy is using top of the line technology. And this enemy is on Elite difficulty.

So this enemy can kill you. Easily. And this is a problem? Why is that? I don't see one. I don't have a problem with the Borg being very powerful. I don't have an issue with dying. And I know dozens of players who feel the same. Even if our deaths are sudden and inexplicable, we don't care. It's part of the game.

You aren't the invincible hero ships from canon. So get used to dying, it happens more often than not.

Now here's something else: If these Borg didn't have these "bugged" torps, would you ever die? Probably not. So these are end-game enemies. Don't expect to do end-game content without dying. That's what's broken. Not the enemies.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 294
# 244
12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Ok, so let me get this right. An end-game enemy can kill a single player with ease. And this enemy is using top of the line technology. And this enemy is on Elite difficulty.

So this enemy can kill you. Easily. And this is a problem? Why is that? I don't see one. I don't have a problem with the Borg being very powerful. I don't have an issue with dying. And I know dozens of players who feel the same. Even if our deaths are sudden and inexplicable, we don't care. It's part of the game.

You aren't the invincible hero ships from canon. So get used to dying, it happens more often than not.

Now here's something else: If these Borg didn't have these "bugged" torps, would you ever die? Probably not. So these are end-game enemies. Don't expect to do end-game content without dying. That's what's broken. Not the enemies.
ok, unimatrix thingers, dontra, couple of other end game enemies have some very powerful attacks that can one shot people doing normal amounts of damage. borg high yield torpedoes can kill you if you're dumb enough to let it hit you. if you get ganged up on by spheres, ya, they can kill you. I'm perfectly okay with those because its a designed mechanic. these invisible magic torpedoes are not, cryptic has as much said they don't want it to happen. This is exactly why I stopped tanking on my engie in an oddy with all the resist gear in the world because this isn't supposed to happen and it makes this not fun. I've done all I can to reduce the chances itll happen to me by equipping threat reduction consoles and waiting a little while before I open up on the big guys. It still happens, its still broken, it still needs to be fixed.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,912
# 245
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Guys, guys, I don't mind borg hitting hard, I don't mind dying to borg... so long as I have a chance to counter, then it is down to my error not simply being wiped off the face of space for teh lols, I use full Mk XII MACO space set, it's DESIGNED to protect me from borg attacks.

Yes borg SHOULD hurt, but no brog should NOT be able to wipe you out from ful health with over 50% resist to everything (and some more to kinetic) in 5 seconds flat, THAT is what I have a problem with, even 10 seconds and I can say "Well yeah, pilot error" but 5 seconds? nah, that's "***** please, I'm bored of you now, goodbye" (In a good Ann Robinson voice).
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 571
# 246
01-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Personally, I think they need to design foes as if getting killed meant rerolling the character.

My biggest complaint is a game-wide one. All characters, whether PC or NPC, should have the same capabilities and disadvantages.

That is, if my Gravity Well does 100dps, there's no way the Undine one should be doing 1000dps. If my human Captain has 500 health, then an NPC Captain should have 500 health. And so on. Sure, there might be exceptions (like Khan, who would be superior to normal humans), but generally, there should be consistency.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,912
# 247
01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
My biggest complaint is a game-wide one. All characters, whether PC or NPC, should have the same capabilities and disadvantages.

That is, if my Gravity Well does 100dps, there's no way the Undine one should be doing 1000dps. If my human Captain has 500 health, then an NPC Captain should have 500 health. And so on. Sure, there might be exceptions (like Khan, who would be superior to normal humans), but generally, there should be consistency.
I agree completely, sadly that would involve writing a good AI, something escort players would hate
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
# 248
01-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
I agree completely, sadly that would involve writing a good AI, something escort players would hate
Why would they? I use Escorts a lot of the time and I'd rather we got something other than an extra 0 added to the HP and damage figures for NPCs.

From what I've seen in game, and from the D'Deridex Defender when it was accidentally released outside of the Vault, the whining came from those that didn't know how to debuff a target rather than just sitting back and spamming the spacebar to victory and a lot of them are using Cruisers.
I'm not sure anyone would complain about more intelligent AI if it meant getting rid of the annoying two million HP NPCs where the only challenge is if you'll survive the next attempt at a one shot or not.
_________________________________________
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.

Last edited by mwgacy1; 01-02-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
# 249
01-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Don't expect to do end-game content without dying. That's what's broken. Not the enemies.
I have witnessed a Borg Unimatrix ship use Torpedo: Spread III without the icon or visual effect noting a buff ever appearing. That is broken. You know what else is broken? A kinetic attack hitting with numbers so ludicrously high that the 90% damage resistance offered by shields can't compensate. It's even more ridiculous when said shields and your hull are fully buffed for damage resistance and you're still getting one-shotted.

I've been into this before, and I'm going to bring it up again. In game design, there are two kinds of difficulty you can offer to a player, artificial (bad) and natural (good). Cryptic has taken the artificial route, where NPCs ignore the rules of the game and are equipped with abilities so powerful that they overwhelm the player's ability to resist them. To put it bluntly, this is a terrible solution that reeks of laziness. They should instead give the Borg Hazard Emitters III an AI that promotes cross-healing other Borg ships. This has already been done with the Regeneration Probes, so we know they're capable of it. To balance this out, give them higher sustained DPS (as of now, even with spikes, it's sub-1,000) and remove their ability to spike so outrageously high.

Last edited by starboardnacelle; 01-02-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,100
# 250
01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
The hive space STF is a joke frankly.

Some members of the fleet I am in avoid it. If you ask if anyone is willing to do a space STF, nine times out of ten the answer is "yes - but not Hive Onslaught". But then again, when asked the same question my answer is the same.

I have never been in an instance, on any occasion I've played that trainwreck mission, where at least one person hasn't bailed out of sheer despair. Then again, I've never been in an instance where I actually enjoyed playing that mess of a mission either.

And surely, when people either don't want to or downright WON'T play that mission, what purpose does it serve?

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 AM.