Career Officer
# 11
12-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Not necessarily. It could look a little something like this.
Oh, god, no, please!

JJ couldn't design a decent toaster.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Non stop crashing and epic lagging are helpful in telling me it's time for bed or to go outside and get a life.
Captain
# 12
12-14-2012, 07:14 AM
I like that JJ design. Better than that 3 dish thing.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 13
12-14-2012, 10:54 PM
The Excel's lines really benefit from the JJ-style makeover, I think. The Connie was too much of a series of soda cans glued together to come out of a streamlining looking anything less than awful. But the Excelsior's bathtub shape looks damn fine given a sharper, sleeker look. The only thing on my link I'd ask them to rethink is the bussard collectors; I think those would look better in a more true-to-source style rather than just kinda copying the JJ-collectors onto it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
12-15-2012, 12:49 AM
The biggest problem with any type of redesign or modernization of the Excelsior is you really have to walk that fine line between preserving the original profiles as much as possible while still making it look more modern, otherwise it just morphs into a very generic star fleet vessel.

If you keep the same neck design, but for example made it shorter and more stretched out it would still be recognizable as the excelsior class neck. However if you change the "bath tub" (as people call it) shape of the secondary hull then it doesn't look like an excelsior anymore.

one thing that would really add a more modern look to the excelsior would be to keep the same neck design, but add in more of a sweeping backbone from the saucer, down the neck and ending at the secondary hull....think Ent-D.

I would go with more of an ENT-E style deflector dish which is still in keeping with how the excelsior one looks but of course change from yellow to blue.

Some type of hybrid between the ent-a and ent-e nacelles could really give it a retro modern look too.
Captain
# 15
12-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Or this

There are a number of ways they could tweak the Excelsior's look, along with the other ships
This ship needs to be in game...
Commander
# 16
12-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Anyone remember the old studio test model for the Excelsior? I think you could make a modern version of it rather easily.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...y4n2-photo.jpg

Last edited by hroothvitnir; 12-16-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Career Officer
# 17
12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroothvitnir View Post
Anyone remember the old studio test model for the Excelsior? I think you could make a modern version of it rather easily.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...y4n2-photo.jpg
Cryptic should add that to the game since it was seen on screen twice. In Star Trek 3 and in TNG. Some argue this is the Apollo class and now the T'Pau ships.

Quote:
While I'm not crazy of the JJ Prize, this look actually does look good with the Excelsior.
Captain
# 18
12-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Please, No JJ-verse! Ugh!

If they did that, based on the JJ-verse scale, the Excelsior would be almost twice the size of the Odyssey!! Is that what you want?!!!! LOL.
Career Officer
# 19
12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
No JJ-Verse ships please..

And the other one looked more like an Ambassador Class knock-off

Cryptic Join Date: March 2010
"We will not go quietly into the night" ~Independence Day
Lieutenant
# 20
12-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Just having an option for up-to-date looking nacelles would go a long way I think.

Personally though, unless they were /really/ nice, I am most happy with my Enterprise-B clone =3