Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
# 11
12-23-2012, 07:10 AM
I personally don't understnad why people hate IE and microsoft products so much. IE works and well, it's there already, so I use it. In terms of the type of work I do. Microsoft offers up the best experience with their browser and compatibility with programs for those who are blind. To each their own though. Use whatever you think and feel works best for you.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I dropped IE a long time ago because at the time its privacy and security options were not as comprehensive as its competitors'. I haven't been motivated to retry it since, so I have no idea what it's like these days, and don't really care as Firefox and Chrome do me well enough.

Firefox is resource-heavy, especially if you've got plugins installed, but it seems to have the most options and flexibility, so it's my workhorse browser.

Chrome I use as a backup for any occasional site that doesn't play nice with Firefox or its plugins. Chrome is very light, and the UI is prettier than FFs, but that comes at the cost of features I prefer to have, and the plugin support is not as good.

Safari I've only ever used on my Ipod, and there it is rubbish. Dunno if that's the browser or the platforms fault though.

Heard vaguely good things about Opera, but have never had a reason to actually try it.
Captain
# 13
12-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I like Opera a lot actually (when it works.....), it has a very nice interface, has the best spam and advertisement blocker I've ever used, it saves all your tabs so you do have to reload them by default, but..... it doesn't always run.....
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
12-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
...but Safari is worse than Internet Explorer. Bar none.
Really? I was forced to use I.E.6 at work until this fall. Safari was much better.
Career Officer
# 15
12-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I was a diehard IE user for many years. Then, a couple years ago, they did an update with IE and who knows what else, and it would not only crash the browser a few minutes into use, the whole system would need to be rebooted. I ended up going to Firefox, and I have not looked back since. At work, we are forced to use Safari because the owner of the company still has a man crush on Steve Jobs. It gets done what little I need to get done at work, but yeah, it stinks.
Captain
# 16
12-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Safari is just horribles. It wasn't always this bad, but it never stays logged into anything.

....until you want it to, and then good luck logging out.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 17
12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
most browsers i've come across suck bad, they either lag or have tons of errors.
but i use one type of browser now never have any issues with it
comodo dragon.