Captain
# 21
12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwigvr6 View Post
So I ahve started to give some things to my Fleet. So far some Dilithium, some officers and a few other bits...

I think from looking that I need to increase in rank with them before I am alowed to actually get anything from it ? I need to reach the rank of Ensign at which point I think the purchasing options will become available ?
I'm curious, how much contact have you had with the fleet leadership? Those guys should've had a conversation with you about their expectations and to offer you an opportunity to ask questions to them. The whole purpose of being in a fleet is to be a part of something and to have fun, already active members (especially leadership) should be setting that tone.
Captain
# 22
12-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
What exactly is in it for me? Is there something I can gain from this?

I am currently pouring quite a bit into the "Rep" system but I still like the idea of helping my Fleet out, but I first need to decide if it's worth my while?
Fleets are filled with pros and cons. When you sit down to add everything up, you will find more negatives than positives.

(1) Pro: You get to build some close friendships, which you will use for socializing, teaming, and progressing.

(2) Pro: While you are building up your fleet base and embassy, you will have a chance to unlock provisions for purchasing ground gear, space equipment, and ships.

(3) Pro: Fleet mates can help you build stronger ships and characters for stfs, PvE, and PvP.

(4) Con: Depending upon the fleet leader's agenda, the majority of your time may be focused on grinding resources. If the fleet leader does not make none grinding fleet events, the atmosphere of fun and excitement can be easily replaced with endless grinding. None grinding events include: social dance parties, PvP competitions, patrols, etc...

(5) Con: Since there are no Featured Episodes associated with fleet bases, the reason why you grind resources for gear, weapons, and ships is none existent. Other words, outside of grinding resources to obtain items, the only other reason why you are doing it is for someone else.

(6) Con: If you end up leaving a fleet, the progress you made with them is completely lost. Even though you may have a mess of fleet credits, the ability to use them for purchases can be cut off. Since Cryptic didn't make any 'out of fleet' fleet credit stores, you may get aggravated because you cannot buy anything.

(7) Con: If you end up joining another fleet, upon leaving the first one, the new fleet leader will not care about your previous progress. Since your new fleet will have their own set of progress rules, you will have to work up the ranking system again. Depending upon which rank they allow members to buy fleet items, you could end up doing twice the amount of work to get a few items.

(8) Con: You have to deal with fleet politics on a daily basis. As a result of people getting burnt out from grinding, the rules set for progressing in rank can cause chaos. Since some members previously helped other fleets, they feel burnt out and depressed from doing everything over again. On the flip side of the coin, fleet leaders set goals high, so they can prevent bank and store thefts. Fleet leaders also have to worry about greed and betrayal from other members. Both sides are fighting an endless battle.

(9) Con: Unless the fleet leader puts contribution policies into place, you could end up fighting a mess of people for a chance to get fleet credits. Larger fleets have members fighting over who gets to contribute, so they can be able to buy items from the stores.

(10) Con: On the flip side of number ten, if the fleet you join is too small, the progression of the fleet base can become very-very slow. People will end up leaving due to a lack of significant progress. As a result of everything coming to a crawl, due to a lack of members, the fleet you join could come to a abrupt end.

(11) Con: Fleet leaders may require you to be active, or they will end up booting you for a lack of participation.

Even though I have had some good times with fleets, the majority of my time has been depressing. I have been playing for about ten to eleven months. As of Saturday, December 15, 2012 , I have not logged into the game. Instead of letting my frustrations lash out, I am patiently watching, waiting, and hoping for certain changes to happen. If Cryptic doesn't make certain changes, I will just have to remain in neutral for a while longer. While you may get some neat pieces of gear and weapons, the fleet system can make your experience frustrating.

When I was running my own fleet, one of our founders came back from a two month hiatus, looted our banks, booted all of our members, and activated a highly expensive dilithium requirement project. After she brought the fleet down to its knees, she contacted me to apologize for what happened. Do you know what she told me? She broke up with her boyfriend. Since the damage was too extensive, I had no choice but to close the fleet down.

Fleets have the potential to do more damage to friendships than any other game mechanic.

Always try to remember you are here to have fun.

Last edited by linyive; 12-20-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Captain
# 23
12-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Fleets are filled with pros and cons. When you sit down to add everything up, you will find more negatives than positives.

Even though I have had some good times with fleets, the majority of my time has been depressing. I have been playing for about ten to eleven months. As of Saturday, December 15, 2012 , I have not logged into the game. Instead of letting my frustrations lash out, I am patiently watching, waiting, and hoping for certain changes to happen. If Cryptic doesn't make certain changes, I will just have to remain in neutral for a while longer. While you may get some neat pieces of gear and weapons, the fleet system can make your experience frustrating.

When I was running my own fleet, one of our founders came back from a two month hiatus, looted our banks, booted all of our members, and activated a highly expensive dilithium requirement project. After she brought the fleet down to its knees, she contacted me to apologize for what happened. Do you know what she told me? She broke up with her boyfriend. Since the damage was too extensive, I had no choice but to close the fleet down.

Fleets have the potential to do more damage to friendships than any other game mechanic.

Always try to remember you are here to have fun.

Fleets are more than starbases and bonus ships/weapons, they are people. This game had fleets long before there were and fleet related benefits (besides the extra uniform slot and a fleet bank).

Presuming that you were able to get most if not all members back in the fleet, a looted bank and a high dilithium mission wouldn't have killed 99% of fleets. The fleet would have to work to get back to the way it was, but the people would still be there and the relationships should come first. Heck, my fleets bank never has had a bunch in it to begin with.

If you are part of of a fleet that values the relationships over intangible things, than a trivial dilithium mission and a busted bank shouldnt even come into the equation.
Career Officer
# 24
12-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
One warning sign to look out for is a fleet that doesn't let you contribute to fleet projects or won't let you spend fleet credits when you do.
I have our KDF fleet set up so that recruits, the entry rank in the fleet, cannot contribute to projects, nor can they buy from vendors. As a recruit, you should be focusing on getting to know the fleet members, and making sure the fleet is a good fit for you. If you decide to leave, no harm is done. However, I would not put it past people to join a fleet with a huge stack of fleet credits, and wipe out your resources that allow the purchase of fleet ships or other things that require supplies generated in fleet projects. That's one reason banks can be locked down.

Anyways, once a recruit has gained the trust of the members, the next promotion opens up contribution and access to fleet vendors. I just feel you should have a period where you can get to know fleet mates, without having the burden of handing over your stuff.
Ensign
# 25
12-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I am confused as to how I can leave a Fleet. I've looked everywhere on how to quit this Fleet without finding a way.
Can't find the Quit button.
Captain
# 26
12-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Pro:

- access to fleet stores & shops (cheap endgame ships, weapons, boffs, doffs)
- people to communicate and play with
- unlocking certain features on your character (uniform slot, doff assignment slots)
- no more ninja-invites from random fleets at ESD/DS9/First City
- more personal storage and cross-account money/item transfer (fleet bank) when running a one-man fleet.
- being able to choose a number of fleet actions from the pve queue. certain ones only unlock after joining a fleet.

Cons:

can't really see any Cons that couldn't be avoided by choosing the right fleet or running one yourself.
Career Officer
# 27
12-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1emento View Post
I am confused as to how I can leave a Fleet. I've looked everywhere on how to quit this Fleet without finding a way.
Can't find the Quit button.
fleet roster-click your name-leave(bottom right)
Lt. Commander
# 28 reply
12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
i have been in 3 different fleets that i contributed lots of credits lots of dilithium and commodities and none of them have let me purchase anything except a few fleet boosts for use in fleet alerts all the really cool gear was always only accessabkle to only 3 or 4 guys at the top of fleet. my current fleet seems better i have in their bottom rung for a month now but am hoping they will promote me soon so i can by a few advanced weapons. and yes i do contribute lots to the bases . to me the whole fleet system seems to be fore most part crap.
Lieutenant
# 29
12-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Went into my fleet bank alst night and there was quite a seclection of weopons and gear that are available just to take. I was allowed up to 8 a day in some of the sections !

This included shileds, consoles etc...

My fleet it seems might be one of the better ones. Only problem is all the projects right now involve giving away my dilithium, which I want to keep for the Rep system and borg gear..... :-(
Captain
# 30
12-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Went into my fleet bank alst night and there was quite a seclection of weopons and gear that are available just to take. I was allowed up to 8 a day in some of the sections !

This included shileds, consoles etc...

My fleet it seems might be one of the better ones. Only problem is all the projects right now involve giving away my dilithium, which I want to keep for the Rep system and borg gear..... :-(
I would say as long as you are contributing other stuff, that shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind now that some of the higher tier items in the star base are pretty nifty and might be more preferable than some of the Rep/Borg gear.

The important thing is that you are working with the fleet and having a good time doing it.