Survivor of Romulus
# 11
12-23-2012, 05:19 PM
be better if they went with alliance ships from mass effect.

star trek ships have so many structual weaknesses.
Captain
# 12
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I agree with Horty. As cool as it is to build the Enterprise, it's just not.... very... practical at this moment in time. Maybe with future developments?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 13
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Agreed. Functionality comes now. Style comes later. It doesn't matter what the ship looks like as long as it gets to Mars safely. Having it look like a fictional character can be a project for those with tons of money to waste on frivolous things. If it was a project asking to create a reasonable design that would reach Mars, then I would sign it. A starship that is not structurally sound, then I won't sign unless they have some way to protect the ship from breaking into pieces by meteorites and leaving the Earth. Only reasonable method to build this is in space and we don't have that technology yet.
Captain
# 14
12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Regarding the "form follows function" debate...it depends on how you look at it. The point of the Enterprise design is to inspire people. That is a significant part of its function. So technically, in this case the form and function are one and the same.

Just because it's not the best design doesn't mean it can't work. In fact, it could be argued that's part of the point: to see what we can do to achieve a difficult feat within a moderate timeframe.

And pretty much all the technology listed on the site is within our reach, either right now or in the very near future. There's plenty of time to work out the technical limitations -- the schedule calls for a bare minimum of nine years of Research and Development, and new technologies such as graphene and cold fusion are being investigates. Read the site, people.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 15
12-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The point of the Enterprise design is to inspire people...
This is pretty much my take on this. It's not a realistic design, but it should get people talking and might even result in a more realistic design that actually works.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 16
12-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Both aspects, have importance, as long as they can get the the ship efficiently and safe with that style then they should defiantly go for it. It might be also that as time go on they might change part of the design. As long they get the important stuff right first.

As for weapons it is listed a laser will be add, what about missiles/torpedoes and or a rail gun? To blast debris away not to be used on us of course.

Also what would they use for communication, it is not listed?

Last edited by raj011; 12-24-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Captain
# 17
12-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
As for weapons it is listed a laser will be add, what about missiles/torpedoes and or a rail gun? To blast debris away not to be used on us of course.
I don't believe any other weapons are planned for the ship. Though they could probably add more if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
Also what would they use for communication, it is not listed?
Presumably it would use some kind of high-power radio transmitters. You're right, that's not listed on the site.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 18
12-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
be better if they went with alliance ships from mass effect.

star trek ships have so many structual weaknesses.
You mean I AM A PLANE! ... they are even dumber because at least Trek ships for most part seem functional as ME ships are just for looks.

Most funtional starship I seen come from a game called "Mission Critical", its pretty much looks like a box with a engine on the bottom, the science ship looked nicer but it still looked like a somewhat rounded box with a engine on the bottom.
Captain
# 19
12-24-2012, 09:00 AM
loved the idea of a enterprise A shaped hotel in las vegas a few years back...but actually building a spaceship in that shape seems, excuse my language, idiotic!
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 20
12-24-2012, 09:09 AM
If I remember correctly in space you can build a ship any ship you want since there is no air in space so don't have to worry about aerodynamics? You can build a giant donut or Lego brick and is would be fine.