Captain
The following is my response to PWE support after 2 weeks of utter frustration:

I appreciate the 'cut and paste' answers - but the problem is not my computer, it's connection to the internet, or my ISP. I have followed all of your suggestions, provided you with substantive feedback in the form of log files and written answers.

It has become increasingly clear, based on feedback from other players through forum posts that a problem exists with your capacity*. Peek periods see a marked increased rate of poor connections and outright disconnects. 10 disconnects per hour is not acceptable.

*I work in SaaS, and yes I am a knowledgeable person in the field. I know all too well what happens to the customer experience when capacity is overtaxed. You can point blame elsewhere, but at the end of the day, this is a capacity issue.

As a paying customer I expect access to the game. If you have to limit my access in some way due to a technical limitation, are you not required to identify that clearly before you take my money?

Ideally paying customers should have access rights greater than those who are free to play. Perhaps some form of guaranteed login, or guaranteed times to play. I am willing to live with a smaller access window if necessary. I do enjoy the game.

But as of today - I unable to play the game I enjoy, because your capacity is poor.

I will not be spending another dollar for any Perfect World product until you do. I will not recommend your games. If there is not a marked improvement with your service by the end of this subscription cycle, I will transfer my account to F2P only. Given that I have spent over $600 in the past year, I am disappointed that CRYPTIC and Perfect World deems that my business to be irrelevant.

I get that there will be times when as a business, you cannot please everyone. I get that you have connectivity issues with your third party suppliers. What I don't understand is that you don't see the value in retaining paying customers as this is a problem of capacity which you do control.

My opinion of the Star Trek brand has dropped, and I will spend considerable time to ensure that CBS understands that.
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com

Last edited by ddesjardins; 12-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 82
12-22-2012, 12:58 PM
checked my connection its fine. this is THE only game I get lag in. Whats the reason?
Lt. Commander
# 83
12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
The following is my response to PWE support after 2 weeks of utter frustration:

I appreciate the 'cut and paste' answers - but the problem is not my computer, it's connection to the internet, or my ISP. I have followed all of your suggestions, provided you with substantive feedback in the form of log files and written answers.

It has become increasingly clear, based on feedback from other players through forum posts that a problem exists with your capacity*. Peek periods see a marked increased rate of poor connections and outright disconnects. 10 disconnects per hour is not acceptable.

*I work in SaaS, and yes I am a knowledgeable person in the field. I know all too well what happens to the customer experience when capacity is overtaxed. You can point blame elsewhere, but at the end of the day, this is a capacity issue.

As a paying customer I expect access to the game. If you have to limit my access in some way due to a technical limitation, are you not required to identify that clearly before you take my money?

Ideally paying customers should have access rights greater than those who are free to play. Perhaps some form of guaranteed login, or guaranteed times to play. I am willing to live with a smaller access window if necessary. I do enjoy the game.

But as of today - I unable to play the game I enjoy, because your capacity is poor.

I will not be spending another dollar for any Perfect World product until you do. I will not recommend your games. If there is not a marked improvement with your service by the end of this subscription cycle, I will transfer my account to F2P only. Given that I have spent over $600 in the past year, I am disappointed that CRYPTIC and Perfect World deems that my business to be irrelevant.

I get that there will be times when as a business, you cannot please everyone. I get that you have connectivity issues with your third party suppliers. What I don't understand is that you don't see the value in retaining paying customers as this is a problem of capacity which you do control.

My opinion of the Star Trek brand has dropped, and I will spend considerable time to ensure that CBS understands that.
I wish you luck in your crusade against CBS, but I'm afraid you'd only be tilting at windmills. Handling tech support issues simply isn't profitable for gaming companies anymore. Back in the olden days gaming companies, both online and offline, actually had tech support numbers you could call and talk to an actual live person about solving your tech issues. That kind of tech support is very expensive, but companies were willing to do it in the dinosaur days because the gaming community was relatively small and they needed a high percentage of satisfied customers to make any money. In the year 2012 however things are much different. The gaming community is huge and it's more profitable for companies to take the profits from the 70% who aren't having tech issues than to spend huge sums of money solving the tech problems for the 30% who are having trouble. This is why there are no more live help lines. Now we just have forums like this one where you post your problem and it may or may not (usually not) get solved.

The support ticket system here has been broken for over six months. If CBS or Perfect World gave a carp about handling tech problems don't you think it would have been fixed by now? We are nothing but numbers to them. As long as there are enough gamers not having problems to pay the bills then they can afford to simply ignore the rest of us.

Last edited by buzzout; 12-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Captain
# 84
12-22-2012, 04:33 PM
No, not a crusade in the slightest. I'm not one the rabid fans who flail at the air. No petitions.

I completely agree about the the lack of support. The process is called call avoidance. Companies invest heavily in methodologies to minimize customer interaction. I work in SaaS. Every call we get in North America costs the company $14.72 in fiscal 2012. We have more than 300 per hour. Our Japanese support costs were more than $70 per call (oops so much for non disclosure).

I can navigate marketing departments. It's not that hard to get internal email addy's.

Licensing teams are sensitive. They don't troll forums, or monitor help desk requests. They rarely interact at the customer level beyond the launch. If a comment about a protected IP (intellectual property) makes it to them directly, they pass it along. And questions do get asked. This is good news - so many players online that some cannot get access. The fact that paying customers are not getting on - that will raise further questions especially when the business model depends on the 5% or less that pay $500+ to play.

"I've invested more than $600 this year in the game, and I cannot access it. I'm not the only one. Hard to trust Star Trek"

It will have a 2 day lifespan (if that), then it will disappear. Until another comment makes it through the gauntlet. When it's about money, they do listen.
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com

Last edited by ddesjardins; 12-22-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 85
12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
No, not a crusade in the slightest.
Damn! I was hoping somebody would start a crusade.
Ensign
# 86
12-23-2012, 12:03 AM
I want to follow-up on my post about the connectivity issues I have been experiencing. Today, I spent a better part of the morning to really troubleshoot this. To make a long story short, the issue is with my router.

For those interested, read on. I review the information I have based on two other players' comments. My tracert and nettest result are inconsistent. I also see inconsistency with the slowness in that it seems to be better some times but not others. It would make sense if I were to experience disconnect & slowness during peer hours (after work) but not during the off hours (2~3am). However, that is not the case. So the first thing I did was to do a speed test, my upload speed is very slow, that probably explain the rubberband/out-of-sync issue. Next, I checked rebooted my router and do speed test. Similar result. Then I removed my router and connect my PC directly to my cable modem. The speed went up significantly and my issue with STO is gone. I never would have guess my router is the problem because it didn't die completely except it works very slowly.

The lesson from this story is never rule out anything until you really test it. Thanks for those who commented on my original post for help.
Lt. Commander
# 87
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
i think after i win my breen ship im going to stop playing. this is ridiculous. The lag in this game is so horrible.
Commander
# 88
12-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslash View Post
i think after i win my breen ship im going to stop playing. this is ridiculous. The lag in this game is so horrible.
Have you bothered to do any sort of diagnostics to help Tech Support/any tech-savvy player assist you or are you, like many others, merely blindly raging at the company?

Sometimes that really does help.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Lt. Commander
# 89
12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewstelamon01 View Post
Have you bothered to do any sort of diagnostics to help Tech Support/any tech-savvy player assist you or are you, like many others, merely blindly raging at the company?

Sometimes that really does help.
Lets name the online games i play:
WoW: no lag
Team Fortress 2: no lag
Call of duty modern warfares 1 and 2: Barely lag
Half life 2 deathmatch/garry's mod: no lag
grand theft auto IV online: no lag
Star wars The old republic: barely lag
battlefield 2 bad company: barely lag
Transformers fall of cybertron/war for cybertron: no lag

This is THE only game that has severe lag. id submit a report, but it still wont help. They'd say working as intended just like every other bug.
Commander
# 90
12-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslash View Post
Lets name the online games i play:
WoW: no lag
Team Fortress 2: no lag
Call of duty modern warfares 1 and 2: Barely lag
Half life 2 deathmatch/garry's mod: no lag
grand theft auto IV online: no lag
Star wars The old republic: barely lag
battlefield 2 bad company: barely lag
Transformers fall of cybertron/war for cybertron: no lag

This is THE only game that has severe lag. id submit a report, but it still wont help. They'd say working as intended just like every other bug.
It does not matter what other online games have no lag--I know I'm going to take some flak for saying this, but why is that the first justification people use for blaming the server/company, besides "I have a super fast internet connection and an expensive new PC"?

Different games traverse different routes to their respective servers. It's much the same as going to two different houses some distance apart--you don't necessarily take the same streets to each one, and what affects one street isn't necessarily going to affect another.

What matters is the route that STO takes to its server. Unless you've done the basic diagnostic tests described in the sticky "Diagnosing Lag and Rubberbanding" and therefore would have some snapshot of what's going on with the transit between your PC and STO's server, don't be so quick to point your finger at the company.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting

Last edited by lewstelamon01; 12-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.