Career Officer
# 41
12-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
And what happens if Cryptic just builds it and they don't come?

Right or wrong, PvP is a big risk for them. They can invest a lot of time and resources and money into the system, but at what potential cost if it doesn't actually drive up PvP player numbers, and if there is no discernible revenue stream from it?
It is a risk, and seems one of the upcoming seasons is going to be dedicated or semi dedicated to PvP. So just how far are they willing to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I don't understand why Cryptic didn't do this along with Season Six. Territory control is such an integral part of the Star Trek franchise they had entire episodes about it. Once you got into the swing of things, territory control in a Star Trek game would pretty much create itself. You could have the player factions duking it out, and have a bunch of NPC groups that could come in just to make things interesting.

So actually, you could combine PvE and PvP in this fashion.

That would be badass.
Why they didn't, betting they didn't have time to do it. Though I know a lot of PvPers would've loved the opportunity to attack rival fleet's starbases.

Really, Territorial PvP, Open PvP, and a massive balancing pass is what is needed to bring back PvP in STO and make it fun. Not what they are doing now with talks of a reputation system or more arena maps.

Having a dynamic battlefield such as moving territory, verying victory objectives, along with Open World PvP, really won't get as boring as it would be playing the same maps and getting trounced by hardcore teams. Here, you can choose how you want to fight and actually implement real battlefield strategies.
Commander
# 42
12-24-2012, 10:35 PM
dont let this post die, keep it going and keep talking, about pvp,
keep this alive, other wize will just die with in the next day or so.
like all the other post.
---------

there is one thing i imagen the territory pvp would be,
little bit of guild wars factions territory pvp, but involving space then ground battles
faze 1 could be attack/defend planet/station, then faze 2 ground combat attack/defend to conquer the system
before being allowed to move to the next system.
and player numbers will be 20 vs 20 players. for each system.

but i have wild imagination....

Last edited by artanisen; 12-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 43
12-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artanisen View Post
dont let this post die, keep it going and keep talking, about pvp,
keep this alive, other wize will just die with in the next day or so.
like all the other post.
http://youtu.be/Swvf3w6hcY4?t=5s

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Career Officer
# 44
12-25-2012, 12:57 AM
I finally have given up hope that Cryptic will make KDF a full faction experience. They are telling that story since open beta and failed again and again to deliver on it. That won't change with Season 8 or anything else latter. Cryptic only catters to the Federation player baser, thats the hard and hurting truth. They don't care for KDF and PWE won't allow them to care for us if Cryptic would change it's mind.
Captain
# 45
12-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Having a dynamic battlefield such as moving territory, verying victory objectives, along with Open World PvP, really won't get as boring as it would be playing the same maps and getting trounced by hardcore teams. Here, you can choose how you want to fight and actually implement real battlefield strategies.
They just need to make it so the maps themselves can kill you. Gravity distortions that knock you around, solar flares that make you explode, things that react very badly to certain powers, deadly asteroids, cliffs that collapse and fall out from under you, rockslides, avalanches, fire spewing volcanoes, electrical hazards, poisons, flame, disease and death.

Exploration is a tricky business that often ends in messy, gruesome demises. Here is a (small) list of real life explorer deaths. Perhaps Cryptic should study it for inspiration.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 46
12-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk231 View Post
Guild Wars 2 has structured pvp, where everyone is using preset gear, so everyone basically has the same stats, but they can choose what kind of armor or weapons they want to use. Like one person may want to use a two handed sword with precision and vitality while someone else may want vitality and healing power.

[b]I think STO could do something like this. /B]
If only that were true .
Because unless it does become true , the only way to save PVP would be to separate PVP-PVE skills .
That's the only way to save PVP and at the same time let Geko keep making more "epic" gear or more "epic" Kirk's in PVE , WITHOUT SCREWING pvp over every time he does it .

Cryptic want's to make every player a He-Man in PVE ? Great , terrific , whatever .
Just leave PVP out of it .
Because they can Never Ever balance 4 PVP .
Nor do they seem inclined to ... , certainly not in the long run .

So really Cryptic ... , put in the work , separate the two skill/powers systems and in the long run you will reap the awards by not having to try to balance each item to function in both PVP-PVE .
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Captain
# 47
12-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Check my suggestion again, Separate Team Ques from Pug ques-like they did with shuttles vs. everything else. If your toon is in a Team, it can only que for Team PvP, not PuG. Saves everyone a lot of hassle on both ends that way, and you basically can put a brake on some of the bullying that's sabotaged efforts to improve PvP-basically I'm saying "yes, allow premades-but only against other premades, and allow PuGging, but only against other PuGs".
I support this option as well !
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
12-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
[...]
That's the only way to save PVP and at the same time let Geko keep making more "epic" gear or more "epic" Kirk's in PVE , WITHOUT SCREWING pvp over every time he does it .

That would compeltely devalue PvP for me. PvP is a way to test if your ship is performing as well as it should. If people seperate the skills and even the gear, then PvP becomes pointless.

So really, stop with that "serparate skills" stuff.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Empire Veteran
# 49
12-25-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post

So really Cryptic ... , put in the work , separate the two skill/powers systems and in the long run you will reap the awards by not having to try to balance each item to function in both PVP-PVE .
I think you have it all wrong in that it is not so much the skills but the ships and OP consoles from +1 CStore ships.

PvP can be saved if they only allow preset vessels of original acquisition and ban +1 Vessels.

If there are OP skills than perhaps a separation between PvE and PvP skills will suffice. It works really really well with Guildwars, which its PvP system is far more complex than STOs.

What would be hard is between space and Ground.

Ground is just plain Tard to be honest, the system needs a complete overhaul which will effect PvE - So I don't see the Ground portion ever being corrected. You will probably going to have to make an entirely new game.

- The best example of Ground combat PvP are games like:

1. Planetside 2
2. Battlefield
3. Call of Duty

Cryptic can do it, but the thing is, is it cost effective?

Space however; can be salvaged since it is its strong suit.
Commander
# 50
12-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post

i am being serious, dont troll my post. god dam slag