Captain
# 651
12-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteconn View Post
www.latech.co.uk

Press CTRL+R a few times to see the different image =]
It's brilliant! Why don't we do that!?!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 652
12-24-2012, 08:47 PM
it'd be a bit boring with only two pics...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 653
12-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
it'd be a bit boring with only two pics...
Then make more!!!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 654
12-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover2 View Post
It's also good that the studio isn't run by college-aged, man-hating female activist types who screechingly portray any appreciation of the female form as "objectification."
What clueless commentary.

Once more for the children at the back of the class: She is posed in a way that allows for only two options. To show off ****. Or to make her look like a moron that's about to fall over. She is not strong or confident looking in any way so we are left to conclude that the **** were the point.

That makes it sexist. It also makes us players look like a bunch of stunted babymen.

If she were better posed, similarly to Handsome Phaser Guy, you would not be seeing a thread this long over the image. No one is complaining about the cleavage on the career selection screen because that lady doesn't look like an idiot.

Did I explain it carefully enough for you? Shall I break out the crayons?

Last edited by twg042370; 12-24-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Clarity, typos
Captain
# 655
12-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover2 View Post
It's also good that the studio isn't run by college-aged, man-hating female activist types who screechingly portray any appreciation of the female form as "objectification."
There's a big difference between "appreciation for the female form", and "could be the cover of a softcore pr0n film".

Survivor of Romulus
# 656
12-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Same as comic book artists -- whoever was commissioned to do the art was not getting paid to make something elegant and artistic. They were getting paid to sell Star Trek Online in an image.

Captain Cheesecake is that image. Instead of complaining about the art, we should be complaining about how culturally -- this is the kind of thing that draws players to a game.

You can deny it or argue it all you want, the sad fact of the matter is a lot of male gamers are 'stunted babymen' as previously said. Or a large enough demographic of them is that would warrant marketing to want something like this to be STO's 'mascot'.

The artist in question has technique, but no talent. A Norman Rockwell, if you will. Rockwell was an illustrator and a painter, he did work for a magazine who had idealistic 'American' tones to it. And he did it for a paycheck. Norman Rockwell had brilliant technique, but no talent. If he was given a set of parameters to fulfill in regards to a piece, he would do it and create a beautiful illustration to help sell the magazine. But there was no art involved in it. It was all technique. He even said he wasn't an artist, he preferred to be called an illustrator.

That said, don't slam the art. Slam the customers that PWE is trying to market STO to. If Captain Cheesecake is here, it is only because we've asked for it. I, like many others do not care for the image at all based on aesthetics, but this is unfortunately the reality we live in.

Sex sells.

Don't pretend it doesn't, don't blame the artist, blame the gaming culture for endorsing and encouraging this kind of marketing 'artwork'. Blame PWE if you want, but they only commission this because that's what sells.

As much as I'd like to pin the blame on them -- if gaming culture decided that cute kittens wearing pink bows on marketing artwork had proven to sell more copies of the game, you can be rest assured there would be a vulcan sehlat with a pink bow running through the battlefield of STO plastered on the front page.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Career Officer
# 657
12-25-2012, 10:14 AM
I can't deny that I like the look of the Vulcan Phaser Lady. I like her. She's attractive.

But I'm very aware that this pic is a pinup and it doesn't make me think about the game. It makes me think 'sexy Vulcan lady in a pinup'. Even that seems a little fake since it's uncharacteristic for a Vulcan to go out of their way to act and look sexy. With handsome phaser guy, you got starships and epic battles in the background. That makes you think about the game and conjure up images of adventure and action. Vulcan Phaser Lady misses the mark in that regard.

I say keep her, even if her overt sexuality is a little over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post

As much as I'd like to pin the blame on them -- if gaming culture decided that cute kittens wearing pink bows on marketing artwork had proven to sell more copies of the game, you can be rest assured there would be a vulcan sehlat with a pink bow running through the battlefield of STO plastered on the front page.
That's insane enough to work... on hardcore nerds. *L*

Personally I'd like to see something a little more daring and humourous in STO advertising.

Last edited by onenonlydrock; 12-25-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Captain
# 658
12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Don't pretend it doesn't, don't blame the artist, blame the gaming culture for endorsing and encouraging this kind of marketing 'artwork'. Blame PWE if you want, but they only commission this because that's what sells.
Oh I blame the artist all right, that anatomy is questionable, and the foreshortening is godawful. Sexy isn't bad, in fact, sexy is quite good! (Seriously, when can I have the pretty ladies in my signature Cryptic? When!?!?!) It's the pose, anatomy, and bizarre lack of taste that bothers me. It's not even indicative of what you can actually get in game.

If you could have hair like that, and there was an open variant of the Odyssey uniform, then I would feel slightly better about it. But even now, it really is false advertisement.

(And that foreshortening is terrible!!! I really must stress that!!! How did this make the cut!?!? How!?!?)

Career Officer
# 659
12-25-2012, 01:25 PM
You know, I don't care if they wanted to show cleavage or make her pretty and sexy - that's fine. I just think it looks stupid because she's looking at the camera and looks like she's going to fall over.

I am boggled at the fact that they said "Yes...thats IT! This image is BRILLIANT!"
Rihannsu
# 660
12-25-2012, 01:28 PM
I personally thought it was more like "Enh, I guess that'll do."
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.