Captain
# 61
12-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
To Paraphrase Scotty, "I don't think she can take it, Captain!"
To Paraphrase (and butcher) Captain Sulu, "THEN TAKE HER APART!!!"
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 62
12-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Here's my PVP revamp idea that I have been kicking around.

1. First of all, add a modifier to the gear to make it separate from PVE in order to help re-balance, like honor.
2. Make the MACO and Honor Guard sets as PVP only and keep the Omega to the Borg. These MACO and HG can have upgraded ones like MACO-Recon or Honor Guard-Chancellor's Guard.
3. Have a Starfleet and Imperial Fleet rep systems to earn the MACO and HG sets like Honor Marks.
4. Every two Seasons have a different PVP Season in order to promote a new map, a new tourney, and a new PVP gear set.
5. Promote PVP tourneys and territorial control at ESD and First City, where every month a listing of the top PVP players and teams, who is winning or controlling the most territories.
6. Take out the four dailies and move them to Beta Ursae, where it makes sense to have the True Way as a enemy. Convert Ker'rat to UFP vs KDF and move the Borg War Zone to Gamma Orionis. Move Nukara and Drozana to Pi Canis.
7. Introduce the Neutral Zone in Eta Eridani as territory control.
8. Introduce a story element and missions to the PVP map zones.
9. Have a reward system based on game play, such has most kills get dilithium and honor marks, the most heals get honor marks, and every participant get a basic helpings of dilithium, marks, and EC.
Captain
# 63
12-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post

1. First of all, add a modifier to the gear to make it separate from PVE in order to help re-balance, like honor.
2. Make the MACO and Honor Guard sets as PVP only and keep the Omega to the Borg. These MACO and HG can have upgraded ones like MACO-Recon or Honor Guard-Chancellor's Guard.
3. Have a Starfleet and Imperial Fleet rep systems to earn the MACO and HG sets like Honor Marks.
4. Every two Seasons have a different PVP Season in order to promote a new map, a new tourney, and a new PVP gear set.
5. Promote PVP tourneys and territorial control at ESD and First City, where every month a listing of the top PVP players and teams, who is winning or controlling the most territories.
6. Take out the four dailies and move them to Beta Ursae, where it makes sense to have the True Way as a enemy. Convert Ker'rat to UFP vs KDF and move the Borg War Zone to Gamma Orionis. Move Nukara and Drozana to Pi Canis.
9. Have a reward system based on game play, such has most kills get dilithium and honor marks, the most heals get honor marks, and every participant get a basic helpings of dilithium, marks, and EC.
Why would you do half of those things?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 64
12-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post

Good Lord, NO!
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Lt. Commander
# 65
12-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Your assumption would be incorrect as there are around 50 devs (and growing!), ranging from production to QA, on STO team alone, and each game has their own dedicated team.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Unfortunately, More devs is not always better, the quality of the craftsmanship is the problem, along with no amount of fixes to problems that have been around since release.

As for future PvE and PvP, Cyrptic has been given a lot of great outside and community feedback and then some, but haven't been or when they have introduced something they don't go far enough with it and simply drop the ball. We have heard about a territory system for how long? Which is suppose to work with the other areas, perhaps it is in Season 8, but will it go far enough? I like the PvP arenas, however they have been neglected. It is the same problem in which Cryptic had in regards to killing the clans/fleets/guilds. They are good a killing areas they should have given attention to, instead they went in the other direction.

Lets hope that Season 8 turns this around, i hope it does but Cryptic has disappointed to many times.
Lieutenant
# 66
12-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Some elements I do believe would make the game better.

1. Faction vs Faction open warfare for systems. A two hours event each day, a four hours event on weekend days. During this time systems held by the enemy can be invaded and taken, counterattacked and recovered, etc.

2. Starbases can be only built on systems. If the system is taken the starbase does change hands as it is. Every system does give a particular set of (small) boni to the faction that does hold it. The guild that does control the system is free to offer starbase services to independant players at a price inflated by a tax of its choice (maybe influenced by faction policy too). They can also set a tax to the price of any services the system does offer on its own.

3. To capture a system a certain set of objectives must be accomplished by the invading force. The guild that does have a higher score when the objectives are accomplished do become the 'owner' of the system. If independent players do have a higher score than all present guilds the system is still conquered by their faction but the starbase does remain 'abandoned.' If a system is conquered the objectives are reset after a small timeframe (say, five minutes) only with the conquering faction as the defender instead so that the faction that did lose the system can try to retake it before the event does end.

4. The leaders of all guilds/fleets have an amount of votes for faction policy proportional to their fleet's power. Each leader can also set a single objective before a Realm vs Realm event does begin (protect this system, invade this system, kill enemy ships of this particular enemy guild, etc). The players that do participate in the battles related to these objectives do receive a greater reward than they would normally do. The rewards do scale with the power of the guild that does set them (a small guild will only give a small bonus, a big guild will give a big one). Several leaders can pick the same objectives and thus add their boni together.

5. Fleets of the same faction can only invade each other when the Faction vs Faction war event is not active, and even then can only do so in a way decided by factional policy (both fleets do have to accept before warfare is declared, only one has to accept but it must openly declare war and the attacks can't begin until after a given time did pass, free for all, etc).

6. Individual players of the same faction can only fight each other in duels. The conditions of these duels (both must accept, open PvP, etc) are another part of faction policy.

7. Independant players can be hired as mercenaries by a fleet before starting an invasion on the holdings of another fleet. In this way fleet-less players can still enjoy the massive battles and benefit from them.

8. Before the Faction vs Faction event does begin fleet-less players can be hired as mercenaries by a fleet. When fighting to conquer a system their score will count not as freelancer but as part of the fleet that did hire them even when they are not proper members of the guild.

9. Faction policy does also influence other things such as how big can the taxes fleet are able to impose on their systems be, pick from different global boni for their faction, etc.

10. A third faction will be needed. This kind of system does only work when the faction number isn't TWO so that the ballance of power does constantly shift around. Ideally I would like Klingon, Federation, Romulan, and Dominion but even Klingon, Federation, and Romulan would work.

11. The home system of each faction can't be conquered. It can, however, be invaded. Those who do can obtain special rewards based upon reaching milestones of damage dealt, time survived, etc. Factions that do manage to keep the siege going long enough to reach special faction wide milestones can obtain special boni and inflict special mali on the defender for the next Realm vs Realm event.

12. Players without a starbase do respawn at their Faction home system when killed. Players with a starbase do respawn at their starbase. The bigger a faction is the longer it will take the loses in a particular system to be replaced by respawning as the players do have to travel longer to get there.

Last edited by foschiadanzante; 12-26-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Captain
# 67
12-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foschiadanzante View Post
Some elements I do believe would make the game better.

*Snip*
In other words "Make it EVE"? I fail to see how that makes things "better".

Captain
# 68
12-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1

So really Cryptic ... , put in the work , separate the two skill/powers systems and in the long run you will reap the awards by not having to try to balance each item to function in both PVP-PVE .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
I think you have it all wrong in that it is not so much the skills but the ships and OP consoles from +1 CStore ships.
I'm willing to examine that , but first perhaps we can look at one semi-concrete belief that many hardcore PVPers share :
"If you get better at PVP , you will get better at PVE ! "

I'm not sure that is always true anymore .
My last two disappointments in PVP were being spam-tractor-ed by two different players pets , and having players constantly zip around so fast that most of my shots missed ... but worse yet (4 me) I could not even see them clearly on screen) .

Now please take those two "negative" experiences and translate them to PVE .
Where would you need to zip about at insane speeds & insane turn rates in PVE ???
Where would you need to apply a double whammy of tractor beam spam on a single NPC ?

I play STF's regularly , and I can tell you that none of those tactics would have made me an infinitely "better player" there .

So the way I see it , PVE needs to exist in it's own universe , and PVP needs to exist in it's own universe .
Separate skills , possibly separate weapons & ships .

If things remain the way they are then nothing will change , and the valiant efforts such as the Boot Camp will not amount to much in the end .
Why ?

Simple : I have 14 Alts . No matter how much a player w/1 alt may try to match my ingame income , he can't .
There are players who have been honing their PVP skills&equipment for moths/years in this game . There is no way in hell that a player (even one who went through a Boot Camp) can come close to matching such a player in STO PVP .

And THAT is why STO PVP needs a "fresh start" to grow and flourish .
You can't have playes who are on such monumentally different level competing equally @ endgame .
Because one will be painfully PWNED , and that player will say "thanks ... but no thanks" . And that is what we have today ... be that thanks to "op" ships , carrier spam , pugs VS premades and ships that can be fine tuned to the Nth degree (but that Nth degree only being worth something truly extra in PVP) -- while at the same time every few weeks something gets introduced/nerfed in PVE that endangers/screws that ever so carefully crafted PCP killing machine of the PVP pro .

Quote:
Ground is just plain Tard to be honest, the system needs a complete overhaul
Actually I disagree w/you here totally .
STO's ground PVP is one of those early Cryptic "miracles" that they have yet to find a reason to screw up . It is actually balanced , it is actually playable , and as such it is not ruled by premades (all that much) .

See , I may fear a "Panda" or a "TSI" player in space , but on ground ... , if I face them w/ my Sci , I know that they can have only two powers to disable me .
And if they don't have that ... , may the Prophets help them .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 69
12-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
So the way I see it , PVE needs to exist in it's own universe , and PVP needs to exist in it's own universe .
Separate skills , possibly separate weapons & ships .
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Don't you dare suggest this. Next think you know we're going to have PvP starbases that you have to pay for when it gets trashed, ships that disappear upon death and you have to buy them again, and then... then... it will become EVE!!!!

I am exaggerating of course, but everything about that sounds like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Actually I disagree w/you here totally .
STO's ground PVP is one of those early Cryptic "miracles" that they have yet to find a reason to screw up . It is actually balanced , it is actually playable , and as such it is not ruled by premades (all that much) .

See , I may fear a "Panda" or a "TSI" player in space , but on ground ... , if I face them w/ my Sci , I know that they can have only two powers to disable me .
And if they don't have that ... , may the Prophets help them .
I agree with this to an extent. When players are using RPG vs. Shooter mode, the advantage always goes to RPG because he has access to all of his powers, while in Shooter, not so much.

Aside from that major Gripe, yes, Ground PvP can be rather amusing.