Lieutenant
# 1 Bortasqu engineer build.
12-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Hello there chaps! (and chapettes!?)

Ive been recently using the Vo'quv and while I love it I felt id go back into my Bortasqu for a little change.

Running some STF's I noticed my build is terrible and my damage/survivability both suck eggs.

I was hoping some of you fine people could help me with achieving a somewhat respectable build. Id like to know everything possible from weapon/console loadouts to BoFF skills.

Much appreciated peoples!
Career Officer
# 2
12-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadsdwad View Post
Hello there chaps! (and chapettes!?)

Ive been recently using the Vo'quv and while I love it I felt id go back into my Bortasqu for a little change.

Running some STF's I noticed my build is terrible and my damage/survivability both suck eggs.

I was hoping some of you fine people could help me with achieving a somewhat respectable build. Id like to know everything possible from weapon/console loadouts to BoFF skills.

Much appreciated peoples!
What sort of resources do you have to work with?
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Career Officer
# 3
12-25-2012, 07:45 AM
You get a ton of options with the bortas, both due to the universal boff stations and whether you decide to run dhc or beams. So here are a few options for you:

Skill recharge version:

Tac LT: TT1, FAW 2 or CSV 2 depending on beams or cannons

Uni ENS: TS1, If you wish to run ALL beams, then make this FAW 1 and put AP:B into the other tac slot

Eng COM: EPTS1, Aux2batt1, RSP 2, EWP 3

Uni LTC: EPTW 1, Aux2batt1, ET 3

Sci LT: HE1, TSS2

DOFFS: 3x purple technicians. You can get these from critting the b'tran cluster support expansion efforts doff mission if you don't have them

1x warp core engineer

1x whatever, maybe evasive conn officer doffs. Go with two if you feel your energy levels are fine and don't want/need the WCE doff

Consoles:

Tac: all single damage type for whatever you're running

ENG: Monotanium x2, electroceramic x2. These are wickedly cheap on exchange

Sci: Field generators

-------------

Tactical Version, basically a slower and less maneuverable tor'kaht:

Tac LT: TT1, TS2

Uni LTC: TT1, CSV1 or TS2, CSV2

Eng COM: EPTW1, RSP 1, EPTS3, Aux2sif3 or EWP 3 or DEM 3

Sci LT: TSS 1, HE2

Uni ENS: TSS1

DOFFS: 2x BFI doffs

2x purple Damage Control Engineer. If you don't have purple then you need 3

1x Warp Core Engineer

Consoles are the same as above

--------------

Sci version:

Tac LT: TT1, FAW 2/TS 2/AP:B 2

Uni ENS: TT1

Eng COM: EPTW 1, RSP 2, EPTS 3, Aux2sif3 or EWP 3 or DEM 3

Uni LTC: HE1, TSS2, Grav well 1

Sci LT: HE 1, TSS2/TBR1

DOFFS: 2x BFI doffs

2x purple Damage Control Engineer. If you don't have purple then you need 3

1x Warp Core Engineer

Consoles are the same as above

Hope that helps
Lynis, Orion Engineer, main
Rrezeth, Gorn Tactical, primary alt
Nari, Orion Science, secondary alt
Captain
# 4
12-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Here is my command bortasqu build build, the heals and resists may seem to be overkill on pve, but it is made to tank multiple tac cubes in hive elite if necessary, and still has enough dps to do things like guard probes or solo cubes easily. This build is a little easier on the wallet as it doesnt need those purple doffs. Doubling up on the sci heals makes it easier to survive the constant plasma fires and makes the ship nearly invincible since it has all the standard cruiser heals and sci heals are stronger and up twice as much. You can shrug off several heavy plasma torps with this build and laugh as the cubes kill themselves with it if you are close when it hits.

4 DHC

4 turrets

elite or advanced fleet shields, deflector, engines, or whatever is best you have

4 neutronium consoles

2 field generators

4 weapon consoles of your energy type

Lt tac- TT1, CSV1

Cmdr Eng -EPTS1, RSP1, ET3, Aux2SIF3
Ensign uni -EPTS1

Lt Cmdr Uni -PH1 HE2 TSS3 (or get a sci capt to train HE3 and take TSS2 in its place if you cant find a boff with the untrainable tss3)
Lt Sci HE1, TSS2

Doffs, doesnt matter to much here, I use BFI doffs and evasive manuver doffs.
Career Officer
# 5
12-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Aux2Bat doffs are free, it just takes time to crit the mission 3 times. The reward for unlocking the repeatable is a blue A2B doff as well. That helps bridge the gap a bit while waiting on your purps.

I went single cannons on my Bortie. DHC was just not fun. I'm also a tac, YMMV.

Uni LtCom - TT1, CRF1, Dispersal Pattern Beta:2
Lt Tac - BO1, APB1
Com eng - EP2S1, Aux2Bat1, EWP1, DEM3
Uni ens - EP2W1
Lt Sci - HE1, TSS2

1 DBB, 3xSingle cannons - Polarized Disruptors rock my socks.
2xTricobalt mines, 2x turret

3xBortasqu' consoles, Neturonium plate
Field generator
5xdisruptor console

3xAux2Bat doff
1xEWP doff
Wild card doff slot - evasive is a good pick
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Empire Veteran
# 6
12-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
Aux2Bat doffs are free, it just takes time to crit the mission 3 times. The reward for unlocking the repeatable is a blue A2B doff as well. That helps bridge the gap a bit while waiting on your purps.

I went single cannons on my Bortie. DHC was just not fun. I'm also a tac, YMMV.

Uni LtCom - TT1, CRF1, Dispersal Pattern Beta:2
Lt Tac - BO1, APB1
Com eng - EP2S1, Aux2Bat1, EWP1, DEM3
Uni ens - EP2W1
Lt Sci - HE1, TSS2

1 DBB, 3xSingle cannons - Polarized Disruptors rock my socks.
2xTricobalt mines, 2x turret

3xBortasqu' consoles, Neturonium plate
Field generator
5xdisruptor console

3xAux2Bat doff
1xEWP doff
Wild card doff slot - evasive is a good pick
Good build, but why not put EPTA1 in the place of EPTW1 to better augment your moments of AtB increase?

All Beams
Uni LtCom - EPTA1, AtB1, (A2Sif2, DEM2, RSP2, ET3)
Lt Tac - BO1, ApD1
Com eng - EP2S1, AtB1, EWP1, DEM3
Uni ens - BFaw1
Lt Sci - HE1, TSS2

(3) Technician DOffs
(2) Systems Engineer (DEM activated Weapon Power drain reduction DOff)

Use a Key bind that cycles EPTA1 + TSS2 + HE1 + AtB1 + BO1(BFaw1) + ApD1 + DEM2/3 + EPTS1 back around to EPTA1 to start the process over again.

Add in the Engineers ability to use EPS transfer to boost Power across the board by a minimum of +16.
Use Nadion Inversion to keep power drain non-existant. Save Miracle worker, Engineer Fleet and Rotate Shield Frequency for defense.

Find a way to get a Tractor Beam and replace the BFaw1 with BO1 and use the vessel as to trap a ship and work them down to death from over-capped weapon energy and survive the process using your inherent Engineer ability to tank.

Or go a step better and build this version;

(4) beams
(4) Turrets

Uni LtCom - EPTA1, AtB1, (A2Sif2, DEM2, RSP2, ET3)
Lt Tac - BO1, CRF1
Com eng - EP2S1, AtB1, EWP1, DEM3
Uni ens - TT1
Lt Sci - HE1, TSS2

(2) Technicians
(1) System Engineers (DEM)
(2) <do not know name of DOff > ( The one that increases Bleed-thru damage on a proc % chance)

The Borti is a tough ship and can be a boon to the Engineer player , imo. Though the Fleet Vorcha may be a better platform for the single AtB1 build concept with its higher turnrate.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.

Last edited by bitemepwe; 12-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
12-26-2012, 06:58 AM
I went with EP2W for the minor, short lived damage bump. I tend to take it even when I want a different power and then set my weapons that much lower to give me power for another system. I must admit I did not consider the returns of dumping the extra 22 power into an Aux2Bat... That just might make more sense mathematically. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to test that out!

I had considered using EP2A so that I could boost my power after the Aux2Bat but I didn't like how it handled in practice. It might have been my timing, trying to squeeze everything in so that Aux2Bat would fire after BO to make up for its power drain and then EP2A to cover the Aux2Bat... Meh. I ended up just using an aux batt and my red matter cap for emergencies when my aux was drained out.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Career Officer
# 8
12-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
Here is my command bortasqu build build, the heals and resists may seem to be overkill on pve, but it is made to tank multiple tac cubes in hive elite if necessary, and still has enough dps to do things like guard probes or solo cubes easily. This build is a little easier on the wallet as it doesnt need those purple doffs. Doubling up on the sci heals makes it easier to survive the constant plasma fires and makes the ship nearly invincible since it has all the standard cruiser heals and sci heals are stronger and up twice as much. You can shrug off several heavy plasma torps with this build and laugh as the cubes kill themselves with it if you are close when it hits.

4 DHC

4 turrets

elite or advanced fleet shields, deflector, engines, or whatever is best you have

4 neutronium consoles

2 field generators

4 weapon consoles of your energy type

Lt tac- TT1, CSV1

Cmdr Eng -EPTS1, RSP1, ET3, Aux2SIF3
Ensign uni -EPTS1

Lt Cmdr Uni -PH1 HE2 TSS3 (or get a sci capt to train HE3 and take TSS2 in its place if you cant find a boff with the untrainable tss3)
Lt Sci HE1, TSS2

Doffs, doesnt matter to much here, I use BFI doffs and evasive manuver doffs.
I like this. If ONLY because there are DHC's involved. Im not saying the rest is bad, not at all. Im just saying that recognizing that this ship is actually to slow to maximize damage using beam arrays is somewhat refreshing.

Now if we could just get you to use a torpedo and a mine.

Cheers and happy pew pew!!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
# 9
12-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
I like this. If ONLY because there are DHC's involved. Im not saying the rest is bad, not at all. Im just saying that recognizing that this ship is actually to slow to maximize damage using beam arrays is somewhat refreshing.

Now if we could just get you to use a torpedo and a mine.

Cheers and happy pew pew!!
I would use a torp on it sometimes but not mine since it doesnt get dpb3 and the best mines tricobalt about to get nerfed soon.

Also yes it does need to switch a boff out and use beams or single cannons sometimes like in pvp.
Career Officer
# 10
12-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
I would use a torp on it sometimes but not mine since it doesnt get dpb3 and the best mines tricobalt about to get nerfed soon.

Also yes it does need to switch a boff out and use beams or single cannons sometimes like in pvp.
You're on the right track. Keep in mind that you don't need any dispersal patterns for mines to be valuable. Many times you will find many times that you will be next to naked borg hulls. Exciting thought, itsn't it? Or maybe you use transphasics. Any way you slice that, giving up one turret for the mine is a win win for you.

PVP yah....I wouldn't really bother with this ship. I have. It can be done for sure. But the pay off vs the work, why would you? Ok I have done it. DHC's and all. Just saying once you downgrade to beams or cannons time to change ships.

For PVE, in particular reffering to STFs, this ship is the epitome of the assault gun concept.