Captain
# 1 To Many Nebulae!
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
There are far to many Nebulae in this game. It is to the point that even Vulcan has these brown wispy clouds in the background. Not only is that incredibly unrealistic and really silly looking, it's not even faithful to the franchise proper. Nebulae were expensive and difficult to create, and therefore were rarely mentioned, and even less likely to be seen on screen... until they made The Wrath of Khan and everyone decided to it rip off.

But either way, it still looks incredibly silly when all these glowing space clouds everywhere. It's to the point now that I doubt an actual legitimate star field exists in the game. That is very sad
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 2
12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I am in agreement with this.

And since we're on the topic of the maps: One of the main reasons the planets look too small is that the endless asteroid/ debris fields are ruining the forced perspective. When you see a rock in space the size of your ship, and then you see it next to a planet, you get a proper sense of scale.

If the surrounding space was empty, you can maintain the illusion you're stopping a good distance away before beaming down.
# 3
12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
There are lots of Nebulae IRL...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 4
12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
And since we're on the topic of the maps: One of the main reasons the planets look too small is that the endless asteroid/ debris fields are ruining the forced perspective. When you see a rock in space the size of your ship, and then you see it next to a planet, you get a proper sense of scale.

If the surrounding space was empty, you can maintain the illusion you're stopping a good distance away before beaming down.
Oh yes. Where is the space in outer space? Half the maps could stand being completely empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
There are lots of Nebulae IRL...
But are they everywhere? Is there a nebula in every corner of the galaxy? Do you look up into the sky and see glowing clouds of glowyness? Having nebulae isn't bad, having them everywhere in every important area even when it makes no logical sense is bad.

Take into account the Sector Space Borg Incursions. Since they take place in deep space, it would be logical to assume that there would be nothing but... you know.... space.

But instead... even in the Sector Space Incursions, which by all means, both scientific, story wise, and logically, there should be nothing..... there are asteroids and gas clouds.

Are we not pushing it a bit?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 5
12-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Well... here's something most geeks don't know.... The Oort Cloud is currently beleived to stretch halfway to Proxima Centauri. So yeah, there's lots of junk floating in deep space...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 6
12-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Are the nebulae everywhere why I don't feel like I'm in space half the time? Like, when I'm in kerrat it definitely does not seem like I'm floating in a void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Rihannsu
# 7
12-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Kerrat's a Borg facility.... why would it look like deep space?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Captain
# 8
12-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I was talking about the background. It's all light green and does not feel like space at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Rihannsu
# 9
12-27-2012, 08:35 AM
True, but... is that a natural nebula, or a cloud of dust and gas created by the borg when they built the gigantic complex there?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Captain
# 10
12-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Well... here's something most geeks don't know.... The Oort Cloud is currently beleived to stretch halfway to Proxima Centauri. So yeah, there's lots of junk floating in deep space...
A. Yes I do know that.

B. The Oort Cloud is not a Nebula.

C. Can you see the Oort Cloud?

Quote:
Are the nebulae everywhere why I don't feel like I'm in space half the time? Like, when I'm in kerrat it definitely does not seem like I'm floating in a void.
Most likely. The only map I really feel like I'm in space is Vulcan, and even that has this weird brown nastiness in the background.

Quote:
True, but... is that a natural nebula, or a cloud of dust and gas created by the borg when they built the gigantic complex there?
Lame excuse is lame. Stop encouraging them.