Career Officer
We all knew a new exploit would come around eventually. Well I found one and this one in particular makes me sick to my stomach.

A quick disclaimer: I don't normally participate in forum rages, much less start them but this one hits me at home. Fair warning, strong opinions ahead.

I'll start with the description.

Quote:
BOFF Grinder: Feds of Fire
ST-HPEABWH69

Let your Bridge officers do the work for you. Just set your Boffs to stand on the platform in the arena, start the mission at the console and go AFK for 16-18 minutes.

This mission will teleport you from the Loremaster rock in the Klingon Academy to The Grinder Arena for some Fed killing fun.

This mission is designed to get some Dilithium painlessly and to somewhat make up for the season seven nerfs and grinds

The mission itself is exactly what the description says. You set your Boffs to stand in an area then you go to a raised platform with a good view of the arena and activate a console. A wall then appears preventing enemies from getting in or you getting out. The battle goes on with no influence from your captain at all unless you can jump like a Catian/Ferasan.

The only redeeming quality of this mission is it's intelligent map design.

My own review follows:
Quote:
One star
WTF is this? This is an affront to everything the Foundry is. I am literally sickened by this. The description alone makes me ill. The act that these grinders are at the top o the list over well crafted story driven missions boggles me mind.
The following review rebutted my own, claiming "*******" like me are the ones responsible for the nerfs.

What are your thoughts, do you disagree that this kind of mission is anathema to the spirit of the Foundry? Are Dilithium rewards so important that this gets higher ratings than others?
Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
Captain
# 2
12-26-2012, 11:07 PM
It's growing pains. The problem, if any, is that people got so used to getting an easy way to get rewards when the rewards were supposed to be a way so that players weren't punished and actually got something by playing foundry missions. Now that it is moving in that direction, we're stuck with the backlash as people who used to expect it loose it.

We're probably not done with how the system will work out. If it tailors to individual play time I have a feeling more people will get the idea of why they should be getting rewards from the foundry daily.

Eventually, people won't know remember how it used to be before. Things will fade. They will realize they get more Fleet marks and DL from running STFs in 10 15 minutes then afking in foundry.

In response to the heated words you got after your review, people were blaming foundry when they lost the dual rewards from Sector Exploration at S7 launch. It was "you people" then too.

As far as the grinders missions themselves, I didn't mind Battleroyal because that mission existed well before this change. Some of the other missions that sprung up after... well... at least the people who tried make me okay with it. At least try to add some show to it, you know?
Career Officer
# 3
12-27-2012, 12:10 AM
You can report it when giving a review

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 4
12-27-2012, 12:31 AM
I think designationxr377 stated the situation nicely. It really isn't worth getting bent about. Beside, I personally considered doing something very much like this just to make a point but decided against it and I take the foundry very seriously. There will always be exploits and those who crave them.

The situation is still fluid though and can go either way. Varied rewards based on average play time, without the encumbering and now essentially vestigial wrapper mission, is the way to go imo.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-27-2012, 03:43 AM
It's a shame and definitively an anathema to the spirit of the Foundry!

To be honest I didn't hear about this mission before so I was just curious about the ratings. After reading them I became angry and sad... It's full of 5 stars and named one of the best missions that exist *sigh* What a slap in the face of every "serious" author who spends hours and hours in developing a storyline or whatever...

I really hope it will be banned soon.

Last edited by naharikajal; 12-27-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 6
12-27-2012, 05:44 AM
I haven't yet experienced this one so will not speak on it, but do want to say for the record that I believe the latest changes that give us a REPEATABLE daily for those missions that qualify have done an excellent job giving many like me a REASON to play the Foundry.

Often, I have to be aware of my time in game or I am swallowed by the Great Grind.

Its really good being able to play quality missions and get a decent reward for it and then turn around and do another one.

My feeling is there will be those that still use grinder missions as this one, but that they are likely fewer than they were previously.

I now love having a choice between fleet actions, STFs and now Foundry missions.

Personally ... I have a few space combat missions that are patrol in style and give me that SB24 feel I love so much.

Then I toss in the story ones around those.

I am guilty of having clicked consoles but that was in the past.

Will have to ... experience ... this mission just so I can rant alongside my fellow Warrior of Sto'Vo'Kor, however.

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-27-2012, 05:51 AM
I've been watching the one on the KDF side and it had only a few plays, was struggling to become qualified. Checked it today and now it is qualified and bam, 450 plays with a ridiculous number of 4 and 5 stars.

Look at the opening page of the list of TOP rated KDF missions, with the exception of one by XR-377, they're all grinders (a good chunk of which don't qualify, amusingly).

This shouldn't be what we're about. Quote from Dstahl:

Quote:
We prefer to believe that Foundry missions are an extension of Star Trek fan?s creativity because it allows anyone with an idea for an episode, to put together a mission in the game without having to learn 3D modeling or scripting languages. If you are looking for great, well designed, fan made stories set in the Star Trek Universe, then the Foundry is the antithesis of a ?waste of time.? It is one of the best resources available to Fan Fiction writers.
Grinders are none of the above. Of course Cryptic won't lift a finger to stop these. Report all you want, but it'll end up like the one-clicks, with absolutely nothing done about it and then they'll blame us again for "not policing" the missions as if we have the power to do anything but flag something and say "look at this one Cryptic."
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
12-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I've been watching the one on the KDF side and it had only a few plays, was struggling to become qualified. Checked it today and now it is qualified and bam, 450 plays with a ridiculous number of 4 and 5 stars.
There's also a fed version of it. This version doesn't qualify for the daily so it has only about 10 plays.
Captain
# 9
12-27-2012, 07:14 AM
To the OP

Until foundry missions are dropping equal rewards to a STF in Loot and reward for time spent missions like this will be with us

Foundry missions must be reviewed by cryptic and a panel of authors and quality rewards included into them just like the story missions end reward is ,then the mission locked

any mission not reviewed will have the current sub standard rewards

it would work like this

a cryptic selected panel of authors reviews missions and reccomends to cryptic which are quality missions,cryptic then reviews the mission adds rewards and places it in a reviewed catagory with the mission locked

what we have now is a jumbled mess
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Career Officer
# 10
12-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post

Look at the opening page of the list of TOP rated KDF missions, with the exception of one by XR-377, they're all grinders (a good chunk of which don't qualify, amusingly).

This shouldn't be what we're about. Quote from Dstahl:

Grinders are none of the above. Of course Cryptic won't lift a finger to stop these. Report all you want, but it'll end up like the one-clicks, with absolutely nothing done about it and then they'll blame us again for "not policing" the missions as if we have the power to do anything but flag something and say "look at this one Cryptic."

Sadly, you are correct. Nothing will be done about it, so like before, we must adapt the best we can. Kirkfat did and designed his Gladiator mission to use as a way to advertise his other missions. I am doing the same with a short story, heavy combat/loot drop mission I am working on. It's not my preferred method of Foundry authoring, but if it gets more folks aware of my Spawn of Medusa series, so be it. I also send rewards to those who complete my 5 part series and leave written reviews so I know who they are. They consist of rare lockbox ships, consoles, doff packs, cxp or fleet bonus chips, etc. Jut my way of thanking folks for playing my entire series.
My new mission won't just be a blow everything up mission, it will have some tasks as well as my other dailies did, as well as a little story and maps to hopefully keep it a little interesting. Anyway, that's my solution to the issue for now. I'm just more concerned about it getting flagged immediately as a non-qualifier, but I am sure it will be long enough to qualify.

Foundry authors, hold your heads up and be proud of your work, from the amount of plays on the story missions, I still think they are favored more by the non-grinding community in STO. You will always have the grind it fast group, regardless of the rules.
ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck

Last edited by thedukeofrock; 12-27-2012 at 07:38 AM.