# 11
12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
out of the 3 its proboly hardest to build a good sci ship
then i guess its a good thing some veteran sci guys replied to his thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Each time I've looked at the Vesta ships, I see an enhanced RSV.

So I'd take my RSV build - I'd add the MWFAM console in that extra Eng slot - and I add pets. I'll have more shield, more crew, one less turn, a little less aux with a little more shield...wham, bam, thank you ma'am - I'm flying a better RSV. I don't look at it as completely different ship needing a completely different build... it's so close to the RSV.

I don't have any of the Vestas, but the RSV's my favorite Sci ship and it's impossible not to see how the MME Strat is a version of the RSV.

this is why i keep saying the vesta is the single best sci ship in the game.

it can literally do any other sci ships layout AND more then likely do it better simply because it can throw the pets into the mix. (not to mention its own crazy consoles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
this is why i keep saying the vesta is the single best sci ship in the game.

it can literally do any other sci ships layout AND more then likely do it better simply because it can throw the pets into the mix. (not to mention its own crazy consoles)
Most definitely. I know that throwing around buffed Virals and TSS III help the team, but low damage numbers is still discouraging. Aux cannons solve that and Im proud to fly the ugly Vesta and occasionally get killshots or be able to 1v1 scrubs. I get double tac teams for me or team mates. APO is great too. Im liking where Cryptic has gone with science ship boff layouts and stats with the Vesta and the Wells/Korath. Their next step is making the rest of the science abilities more viable. I think its been discussed before that its a problem of the effect-to-resist ratio. That means either making resists lower, making resist skills more expensive, or making the effects stronger.
Captain
# 13
12-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus View Post
Most definitely. I know that throwing around buffed Virals and TSS III help the team, but low damage numbers is still discouraging. Aux cannons solve that and Im proud to fly the ugly Vesta and occasionally get killshots or be able to 1v1 scrubs. I get double tac teams for me or team mates. APO is great too. Im liking where Cryptic has gone with science ship boff layouts and stats with the Vesta and the Wells/Korath. Their next step is making the rest of the science abilities more viable. I think its been discussed before that its a problem of the effect-to-resist ratio. That means either making resists lower, making resist skills more expensive, or making the effects stronger.
Just a little. Really, you and everyone playing STO with any semblance of understanding only wants things improved in very small measurements, as it'd be exceptionally easy to turn stacking Sci/Sci into iWin teams. No, they're not there at the moment, but the nature of crowd control powers is just that it wouldn't be hard to break them to where they do reach that point of absurdity.

jm2c.
Captain
# 14
12-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimcorsair View Post
Just a little. Really, you and everyone playing STO with any semblance of understanding only wants things improved in very small measurements, as it'd be exceptionally easy to turn stacking Sci/Sci into iWin teams. No, they're not there at the moment, but the nature of crowd control powers is just that it wouldn't be hard to break them to where they do reach that point of absurdity.

jm2c.
That's why they need to do most public testing on Tribble. I think the current captin skill tree being specd giving 50% resists is too much since that skill is so much lower then the rest of the tree.

At most the skill tree alone should give 30-35% resists
Quote:
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 15
12-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Quote:
That's why they need to do most public testing on Tribble. I think the current captin skill tree being specd giving 50% resists is too much since that skill is so much lower then the rest of the tree.

At most the skill tree alone should give 30-35% resists
Indeed... when was the last time you ever considered using a Sci Console slot for an Insulator Console to reduce your chance of being drained away to nothing (Shields or Power levels)? They're superfluous in the face in the mighty PI. Even then, if you're really hurting at the hands of drains, the Borg Deflector will shore up most drain problems you might have.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
12-27-2012, 07:41 AM
@fearinggravity: these are two Vesta builds which I've had a lot of success with. Both are kinetic builds with some focus on CC. Maybe this will help you. You may also easily work mines into either of these builds. On the plus side both of these builds are relatively cheap since many of the Torps come from Breen missions.

Tactical LtC:
Tactical Team 1
T: High Yield 2 (alt: Spread 2)
Attack Pattern Omega 1

Tactical Lt:
Tactical Team 1
T: High Yield 2 (alt: Spread2)

Engineering En:
EPTS1

Engineering LtC:
EPTS1
RSP1 (alt: ASIF1)

Science Cm:
Hazard 1
Transfer Shield Strength 2
Viral Matrix 1
Tractor Beam Repulsors 3

Sets: MACO or Advanced MACO (or a Hybrid)

Consoles:

Neutronium
Tachyokinetic

Field Generator
x4 Particle Generators

x3 Transphasic Compressors

Very Rare Danubes or Delta Flyers

Fore:

x2 Rapid Fire Transphasic
x1 Transphasic Torpedo Accx3

Aft:

x2 Breen Cluster Torpedo
Phaser Beam Array Acc

----------------------------------------

Engineering LtC:

EPTS1
RSP1 (alt: Extend 1)
Eject Warp Plasma 1

Tactical Lt:
T: High Yield 1 (alt: Spread 1)

Science En:
Polarize Hull 1

Engineering Lt:
EPTS1
ASIF1

Science Cm:
Science Team 1
Hazard 2
Transfer Shield Strength 3
Gravity Well 3

Consoles:

Neutronium
Tachyokinetic

Field Generator
x3 Particle Generators
Isometric Charge

Very Rare Danubes

Fore:

Aft:

x2 Breen Cluster Torpedo
Phaser Beam Array Acc

DOffs:
x2 Developmental Sci's

Last edited by rooster75; 12-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
12-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
@fearinggravity: these are two Vesta builds which I've had a lot of success with. Both are kinetic builds with some focus on CC. Maybe this will help you. You may also easily work mines into either of these builds. On the plus side both of these builds are relatively cheap since many of the Torps come from Breen missions.

Tactical LtC:
Tactical Team 1
T: High Yield 2 (alt: Spread 2)
Attack Pattern Omega 1

Tactical Lt:
Tactical Team 1

Engineering En:
EPTS1

Engineering LtC:
EPTS1
RSP1 (alt: ASIF1)

Science Cm:
Hazard 1
Transfer Shield Strength 2
Viral Matrix 1
Tractor Beam Repulsors 3

Consoles:

Neutronium
Tachyokinetic

Field Generator
x4 Particle Generators

Very Rare Danubes or Delta Flyers

Fore:

Aft:

x2 Breen Cluster Torpedo
Phaser Beam Array Acc

----------------------------------------

Engineering LtC:

EPTS1
RSP1 (alt: Extend 1)
Eject Warp Plasma 1

Tactical Lt:
T: High Yield 1 (alt: Spread 1)

Science En:
Polarize Hull 1

Engineering Lt:
EPTS1
ASIF1

Science Cm:
Science Team 1
Hazard 2
Transfer Shield Strength 3
Gravity Well 3

Consoles:

Neutronium
Tachyokinetic

Field Generator
x3 Particle Generators
Isometric Charge

Very Rare Danubes

Fore:

Aft:

x2 Breen Cluster Torpedo
Phaser Beam Array Acc

DOffs:
x2 Developmental Sci's
Nice specs, the first one's boff layout is identical to what I had yesterday. except i had VM3 instead of TBR i think it isn't necessary to have TBR though when you have that multi-dimensiional onsole, And i like viral matrix III a lot =P
Captain
# 18
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I forgot to mention feel free to ask me any thing ingame @matteo716
Also you can check out the matteo716 YouTube channel and see a shield stripping build I made that would be right up the ally of a torp build...
Quote:
Do you even Science Bro?
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
I forgot to mention feel free to ask me any thing ingame @matteo716
Also you can check out the matteo716 YouTube channel and see a shield stripping build I made that would be right up the ally of a torp build...
sure I will, same to you! I'm Miyu@fearinggravity
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearinggravity View Post
Nice specs, the first one's boff layout is identical to what I had yesterday. except i had VM3 instead of TBR i think it isn't necessary to have TBR though when you have that multi-dimensiional onsole, And i like viral matrix III a lot =P
Thanks, I've had some really good numbers/matches with that build. That's the one console I hadn't played with yet. I'm simply too attached to my TBR to trade the shorter cooldown that it gives, however. I just find it too useful for so many situations in PvP: taking out enemy healers, good for spam clearing and good straight to hull damage with more uptime.

Last edited by rooster75; 12-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.