Empire Veteran
# 21
12-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Here is my hypothesis. I freely admit I have no actual evidence to back it up, so take it for what it is worth.
Once upon a time there was a company named Cryptic that got the license to rush a MMO based upon Star Trek into a commercial product. They hired a bunch of game devlopers, many who were die hard Star Trek nerds. The die hard Star Trek nerds at Cryptic worked with the die hard Star Trek nerds at CBS (keepers of the canon if you wish) to develop this into a product that "made sense" to trekkies.

Then one day Cryptic was bought by this gaming company from China. They wanted to figure out how to make this game as profitable as possible, so they adopted a model that worked well in the East, a real money lottery for rare in-game items. Cryptic talked to CBS and they both agreed that a few Jem'Hadar ships would not hurt canon, after All Sisko flew one.

Cryptic did not tell people that the odds were less than 1%. They did not tell players that the average cost of the ship was nearly $150. They did not tell players that on the order of 1 out of every 100 players could spend nearly $1000 and not win the lottery, because PWE had been running these lotteries in the East, and they knew better.

The vast majority of players who logged on bought at least a few lottery tickets. Some spent over a thousand dollars in vain trying to aquire the ship. Some paid hundreds of dollars on paypal to trade with players who had won them. Cryptic probably made more money in that one month that it had in the past six.

Cryptic was ecstatic. CBS was ecstatic. Does it make canon sense that half of starfleet will be flying around in a Breen ship or that you are doing STFs with Starfleet captains piloting ships designed for non-humanoid races? Of course not! But the money is way more important than canon.

It is fait accompli and does not bother me anymore. I just don't see how Cryptic can use canon as an excuse anymore to disallow a T-5 constitution class ship. After all, it would make them a ton of cash and makes about as much sense as half of Starfleet being Tholian web weavers and Breen warships.
This 100%. The cbs must protect canon argument has gone, no, been kicked out the door with tons of fed players running around in galors, d?koras, tholian ships, mirror universe ships, galors, and now breen ships. It just sounds like a giant farce at this point. This is as far from canon as anybody could have possibly imagined.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!
Career Officer
# 22
12-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post

As to CBS ... yeah , right , whatever , they are soooo involved .... .
Again, I think they are, somewhat.

But they are viewing things not in terms of keeping the canon (nor is Cryptic) but in terms of marketing the toyline.

CBS' concern would not be people flying Breen ships but people confusing Breen ships for Starfleet designs, which would create brand confusion.

CBS is probably also interested in licensing multiple Star Trek MMOs, given what we saw with Infinite Space, and so is probably likely to approve things that would not make that difficult and reject things that would make that difficult.

Probably the easiest two other licenses they could sell would be Dominion Wars themed (and they had one floating out there with Infinite Space) and TOS themed.

The T1 Connie does less to make it difficult for CBS to sell a TOS MMO license to another studio. A T5 version would make it more difficult. CBS probably wants to keep it in the background here so as not to conflict with making more licensing money from other game studios who would pay them to release a TOS game.

That doesn't mean the game gets made. It means CBS can make money off the option, basically, and nobody would want the option if TOS is too well represented here.
Captain
# 23
12-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if cryptic let us costume our new cruiser with skins from other ships we already own ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Career Officer
# 24
12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm kind of disappointed that Chel Grett doesn't come with a unique bridge. The Tholian ship has one, so why not Breen?
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Here is my hypothesis. I freely admit I have no actual evidence to back it up, so take it for what it is worth.
Once upon a time there was a company named Cryptic that got the license to rush a MMO based upon Star Trek into a commercial product. They hired a bunch of game devlopers, many who were die hard Star Trek nerds. The die hard Star Trek nerds at Cryptic worked with the die hard Star Trek nerds at CBS (keepers of the canon if you wish) to develop this into a product that "made sense" to trekkies.

*Lots of other good stuff thats a very long post so i put this instead, no disrespect*
While I can agree with some of this, I can tell you from experience this game uses a highly Americanized version of a cash shop for MMO games. 'Eastern' versions of F2P games don't use the 'free cool boxes as drops which require u to spend real money to open' model. Not ****, Not GW, Not Hellgate, not any that I can think of. APB is close, however that's also an Americanized game with the same style cash shop as STO which dare I say it, borderlines on Pay to Win. They WANT you to spend all your money buying DIL/ZEN thats why everything you want now costs freaking DIL, Fleet gear, now STF gear, Rommie gear, all of it. Yet stil we get limited to 8k per day, think about it. What other MMO has this many ridiculous currencies? It's a 'fast-food MMO', not a 'fine dining Multiplayer Experience'.

Anyways, /endrant.....but yeah, when I came back to this game from **** and seeing their F2P model I was sorely disappointed at the flamboyant nature of STO's cash shop striking me as 'Pay to Win' and their constant behest to purchase ZEN and convert it to DIL so you can buy things. I realize it's not 'required' to do this, but neither is playing to begin with....it's just 'highly suggested' frequently and often. CBS wants revenue long-term, no other motivational factor is detrimental to them. They'll give you a D'Deridex in 6 months if it fits their fiscal calendar nicely.
Career Officer
# 26
12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahk42 View Post
I'm kind of disappointed that Chel Grett doesn't come with a unique bridge. The Tholian ship has one, so why not Breen?
It's a free ship and not from a lockbox
Lynis, Orion Engineer, main
Rrezeth, Gorn Tactical, primary alt
Nari, Orion Science, secondary alt
Captain
# 27
12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahk42 View Post
Developer resources cost money. This one doesn't earn money directly (lobi store sales some, and encouraging new players is indirect) so it got fewer resources allocated than the lock box ship.
Career Officer
# 28
12-27-2012, 12:58 PM
The flipside to no interior is, I assume, that we can actually use our other interiors, including purchased ones. No other lockbox ship ALLOWS that, nor do they allow using interiors from Lockbox ships in other ships we own.

I'd much rather interiors:
- Include a three deck layout. Which wouldn't be all that hard aside from the Tholian ships. Every other ship has an interior that would at least work as a reasonable template.
- Included interiors as options but still let us pick.

And I can't think of any MMOs that have fewer currencies than STO, aside from maybe EvE. More currencies is better once you're at endgame, IMHO. I wish there were a thousand of them. I don't get the multi-currency hate as long as currencies aren't using inventory space, which they aren't here. Hundreds or thousands of currencies is not unheard of in a typical MMO. The only thing odd here is how FEW there are.
Career Officer
# 29
12-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I don't get the multi-currency hate as long as currencies aren't using inventory space, which they aren't here.

1) The hate comes from the developer culling currencies, telling you there are too many and they want fewer.

2) Those with high amounts lose in the conversion process.

3) Not too long later new currencies continue to be added.

4) See #1.

Lt. Commander
# 30
12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomicile View Post
She's not a bad ship by any means. It turns about as well as an Excelsior-R. Toss an RCS console in there and it's quite nice.

I've been thinking about using the Jem Ha'daar set in it, once I get enough Dilithium together to get some decent Polaron DHC's and Turrets.

One think I'd like to suggest to Cryptic is to include the Chel Grett among the JHAS and Galor that benefit from 'Victory Is Life' bonus from the Jem Set.
Or better yet, add a bonus of some sort when the Breen space set is equipped on a Breen ship. For RP purposes, I'd love to equip the Breen set, but it would be a waste of a good ship to equip the set as it currently is.

I wonder if the Deferi will be the next race getting a reputation system, with the opportunity to grind purple mk xii versions of the breen set.