Empire Veteran
# 11
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
L2P and compete directly with pugmades. thats what i did. nothings funner then getting a kill against a pug made that 'shouldn't have happened'.

also realize that dieing in pvp means nothing. a 1 way stomp isnt fun for ether team, but at lest your closer to getting dil. no pug or premade that isnt full of scumbags is going to glote over a stomp.

here's a novel concept, subscribe to OPVP and become apart of the community, and form your own pugmade.

or continue to complain and do nothing to fix whats wrong with you, and just wish everything else would change to fit your needs better.
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 12
12-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Because the result is that there are more unbalanced matches in the queues. No one has fun in unbalanced matches. By joining as a team, you are lessening the fun of everyone involved, including yourself.
Most definitly not.
Who would considering joining a que and ending up in a never ending match with AFKers, a cloaked guy spewing insults, a Heals?-What's-that?-Cruiser, more fun than even the most unbalanced but quick and painless match.

I've ran into my share of great Pugs, and some rather bad 5-fleet premades.
This whole idea is overgeneralised, and considering the low amount of PvPers left, potentially lethal to the queues.

Also what if I want to PvP with just a friend?

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Captain
# 13
12-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Because the result is that there are more unbalanced matches in the queues. No one has fun in unbalanced matches. By joining as a team, you are lessening the fun of everyone involved, including yourself.
Couldn't the opposite also be true? That by steadfastly refusing to become part of a team, you are ruining the fun of those that correctly realize that teamwork is the true nature of the game?
Captain
# 14
12-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfl View Post
Couldn't the opposite also be true? That by steadfastly refusing to become part of a team, you are ruining the fun of those that correctly realize that teamwork is the true nature of the game?
there's a ***** slap of truth right there.
Captain
# 15
12-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Its not very canon, how often does the Enterprise need help in the show? Not very often. Its much more satisfying killing someone with your own dps then by just doing a small amount of the dps to kill someone to. Its also much more possible in pug on pug match where everyone is disorganized and there is less cross heals. Some people just can take advantage of the chaos and have more fun that way, I do.
Captain
# 16
12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
Its not very canon, how often does the Enterprise need help in the show? Not very often. Its much more satisfying killing someone with your own dps then by just doing a small amount of the dps to kill someone to. Its also much more possible in pug on pug match where everyone is disorganized and there is less cross heals. Some people just can take advantage of the chaos and have more fun that way, I do.
To be fair, in canon, the Enterprise could do whatever the writers needed it to do to achieve their creative goals. Still, there were many times, throughout the various incarnations of Trek, when cooperation with other captains was necessary: The Tachyon Detection Grid, Armadas for fighting Borg, The last 3 seasons of DS9...
Captain
# 17
12-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
To be fair, in canon, the Enterprise could do whatever the writers needed it to do to achieve their creative goals. Still, there were many times, throughout the various incarnations of Trek, when cooperation with other captains was necessary: The Tachyon Detection Grid, Armadas for fighting Borg, The last 3 seasons of DS9...
good point, but also the defiant did go off cloaked on its own a lot to.
Captain
# 18
12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Point of order here, "Steadfast Refusal" implies the presence of the option, which is not a guaranteed condition, esp. for players who've recently left a fleet over internal differences, or whom are new enough to have few to no personal contacts that play, much less PvP.

Fact is, one of the toughest things to find for a new player, is a group to play WITH. by "new" I mean 'recent' enough NOT to have a huge list of contacts, much less a group they routinely or regularly run missions and such with.

"Refusal" implies a choice.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 19
12-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Point of order here, "Steadfast Refusal" implies the presence of the option, which is not a guaranteed condition, esp. for players who've recently left a fleet over internal differences, or whom are new enough to have few to no personal contacts that play, much less PvP.

Fact is, one of the toughest things to find for a new player, is a group to play WITH. by "new" I mean 'recent' enough NOT to have a huge list of contacts, much less a group they routinely or regularly run missions and such with.

"Refusal" implies a choice.
It is a choice and there are always options. As I said in another thread. The resources are available. I've seen more new players in OPVP tonight, asking for teams, than I have ever seen before.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Nope, STO PVP need not involve groups at all. I have a blast dueling my fleet mates in 1 on 1's, and I personally find it more rewarding when I win solo as opposed to knowing that I got the better of another player because I had help.

Individual players need not be forced into teams for the sole benefit of those that choose team-only game play. Cryptic has already tried to impose this team-only system on the STO player base, and the result are empty, silent PVP queues. Bottom line: the current PVP queue system has collapsed due to lack of attention towards the solo player.

Two years ago, I predicted that the PVP queues would die out without support for the solo player. It seems that my prediction has come to pass.