Ensign
Hi everybody,
I planning to byu cruiser for my tactical. I really like the excelsior look and tranwarp abillity, but something concerns me a lot. Is this ship still worth the money ? I mean , is it doing well on stf and pve ? My plan is to build full beam ship or something alike. I was considering odyssey pack but since everybody flying oddy i am sick of it. And I don't like the assault refit. My question is - is it still worthy the cash and capable ingame ? If anybody has experience with tactical cruiser i would appreciate any advice. I made this post becouse most of excelsior threads are really out of date (2007, 2003 etc.)
Career Officer
# 2
12-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Probably the best Federation cruiser for a TAC officer in the entire game... Plus there is the fleet version if your star base has a tier 3 shipyard.

Toe to toe the fleet excelsior is better than the odessey as a damage cruiser.
Commander
# 3 yes
12-28-2012, 06:51 AM
It's a fine ship and had the regent not been introduced would be without question one of the most capable cruisers in the game tactically (officer layout not withstanding narrow arc weapons are useless if you can't bring then to bear with a ship like the oddy) however the regent will pack slightly more offensive punch thanks to it's layout and the wide angle quantum. Between the two i still favor the excelsior but they are toe to toe with eachother (the transwarp and higher turn made the decision for me)
Republic Veteran
# 4
12-28-2012, 06:56 AM
The Aux2Bat build on the Fleet Excelsior is possibly the best cruiser build in the game.

There are other good alternatives too. Both the Fleet and Retro Excelsior can hold their own in PvE. Plus transwarp is eternally useful (Just don't be surprised if it fails once in a while).

See this thread for some good build guides on the ship:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=469831
Lieutenant
# 5
12-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Excel > Regent for a TAC cannon build

I am sorry hands down.

Even the Fleet Excel > Fleet Regeant

The torp is great on the Regeant but lets be honest. A Ensign TAC < Ensign Eng. Its a waste of a bridge officer slot. Put some cannons on your TAC cruiser and go to town. Throw ENG TEAM 1 in your Ensign slot BOFF.

TAC EXCEL, best single cannon cruiser in the game.
Captain
# 6
12-28-2012, 07:02 AM
I play Sci and I love this ship so much I've stopped DOffing so I can slow my leveling. I may use it through my Captain levels because it's THAT fun.

But I also have a Sci ship for groupers who can't appreciate a Sci in a Cruiser ...
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 7
12-28-2012, 07:33 AM
The Excelsior is probably the single best cruiser fed-side for anyone, I fly an engineer in the fleet version and I can handle bops in CSE in it, 6 beams and 2 torps, that and I can make Borg cubes look civilised and Tac cubes I can handle with minimal cross healing... if that isn't an advert for the Excel I don't know what is
Republic Veteran
# 8
12-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtciscoinsa View Post
Excel > Regent for a TAC cannon build

I am sorry hands down.

Even the Fleet Excel > Fleet Regeant

The torp is great on the Regeant but lets be honest. A Ensign TAC < Ensign Eng. Its a waste of a bridge officer slot. Put some cannons on your TAC cruiser and go to town. Throw ENG TEAM 1 in your Ensign slot BOFF.

TAC EXCEL, best single cannon cruiser in the game.
I don't know what universe your from that a tac < eng ensign...especially since the ship has 3 eng ensigns.

Eng Team < Tac Team by far if your going for a offensive build, because not only does tac team give you a little offensive power its also a great defensive tool.
Republic Veteran
# 9
12-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Indeed I would happily have the ensign eng replaced by an ensign tac. A second tac team would be beast without having to lose an attack pattern or cannon/beam/torpedo skill. I currently have Eng Team sitting in the slot and I only really use it on friendly NPCs or teammates, it is sort of redundant once you have your buff keybind sorted.
Career Officer
# 10
12-28-2012, 08:34 AM
As others already said, the (Fleet) Excelsior is the best Fed tactical cruiser at the moment. It's a close 1 between the Regent and the Excelsior, but she is slightly ahead.

With a proper Aux2Battery build the Regent's second tactical ensign is wasted, where the Excelsior gets at least room for ET1. Also her turn rate and inertia rating is better, specially for ships with low turn rate numbers the difference between 7 and 8 and higher inertia means a lot. It makes piloting her way more pleasant and easier to keep your cannons on the enemy.

In case people insist on putting torpedoes on the Excelsior, it can be done but it will not be an improvent over a full cannon/turret version. Even the Regent's wide angle torp could be used here if you have both ships.
-----------------------
decker999