Captain
# 11
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
It's their responsibility to learn. If you jumped right into elites, then you skipped a step, you should be doing normal STFs. If your doing normal STFs and struggling, it's really just an issue with you needing to accept you are bad at the game and that you need to figure out what your doing wrong. That means looking at builds, key binds, game mechanics, etc. there are plenty of sticky guides in the forum that will help you with that.
This.

Elite STFs are not the regular PVE a new lvl 50 should be playing. They are WAY harder than anything you could have seen in lvls 1-49. That said, they're still not that troublesome when you learn what to do with your ship, abilities,... Clearly, the content up to lvl 50 doesn't (and can't) prepare you for them.

Now if you're talking normal STFs at lvl 50, then it's strange. There shouldn't really be any difference in a normal STF when played at lvl 49 or 50.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Lieutenant
# 12
12-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
It's their responsibility to learn..
Yes it is their responsibility to learn but that just comes from playing, this seems a bit of overly obvious statement. See however with needing to make this statement you are confirming what I thought, that there is a gap in difference.

I am not debating the merits or stating this is good or bad, please try and get beyond that to see the point of the post.

Quote:
If you jumped right into elites, then you skipped a step, you should be doing normal STFs.
1 of the elites is pretty easy so I just run that now. My death rate isn't much different from a normal to an elite. Since I disengage a lot more now I don't die much on any of them.

Quote:
If your doing normal STFs and struggling, it's really just an issue with you needing to accept you are bad at the game and that you need to figure out what your doing wrong. That means looking at builds, key binds, game mechanics, etc. there are plenty of sticky guides in the forum that will help you with that
That is what I am doing here. However there is a gap and you've just pointed it out here. The gap relies on gathering further information. I am not saying this is good or bad, merely pointing out your own words to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
This.

Elite STFs are not the regular PVE a new lvl 50 should be playing. They are WAY harder than anything you could have seen in lvls 1-49. That said, they're still not that troublesome when you learn what to do with your ship, abilities,... Clearly, the content up to lvl 50 doesn't (and can't) prepare you for them.

Now if you're talking normal STFs at lvl 50, then it's strange. There shouldn't really be any difference in a normal STF when played at lvl 49 or 50.
I don't know who brought up Elite STF's as it wasn't me? As other posters have, they are not way harder imho, a bit, I die a bit more often not much.

All I can say to your second paragraph is, my experience has differed greatly. From Easy and not really caring about equipment, never dying and steamrolling over everything, to having to watch videos on builds, gathering information on the forum and trying not to die more than a few times a match by moving away out of range.

Last edited by paareth; 12-29-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Captain
# 13
12-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paareth View Post
I don't know who brought up Elite STF's as it wasn't me? As other posters have, they are not way harder imho, a bit, I die a bit more often not much.
Apologies, Elites seemed to be the obvious culprit here.

Quote:
All I can say to your second paragraph is, my experience has differed greatly. From Easy and not really caring about equipment, never dying and steamrolling over everything, to having to watch videos on builds, gathering information on the forum and trying not to die more than a few times a match by moving away out of range.
I don't know what to say. The logic behind normal and elite STFs is the have the former available from level 45 for all at or above it. Therefore it should be the exactly same for a lvl 45 as a lvl 50.

But from what you say, I guess the normal STFs, since stretched across two ranks, work similarly as for example Red Alerts and brings every player up to lvl 50. This would probably be done by adding a modifier to your damage and resistances, ...

If that's the case, then what you observed was the loss of the modifiers at leveling to 50, while keeping the same ship with the same equipment.

Now on to helping you:

If you want to tank, you need to deal damage, a lot of damage. AoE attacks work best to get attention of enemies. To keep it, you must continue to deal a lot of damage. The threat generation skill helps in making you a yummier snack for NPCs, but damage dealing has kinda more effect.

If you're successful in that first step, you'll get a lot of problems. Lots of visible and invisible torpedoes coming your way. Since I assume you are in a cruiser (what else for the single line of thinking "tank"), you have plenty space for a must that is EPtS cycling. Cycling Tac teams is probably another must for you. High shield power levels are very useful. Auxiliary power boosted TSS will add more shield resistance to your facings. Why not an RSP for the hottest moments? Complement with some hull heals, and you're good to go.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
# 14
12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Greetings all.

49 is relatively easy gameplay in all kinds of missions or PVE engagements

The jump to 50 is too big, this needs to be about 10 levels of content if not more as it is now. Because it is about that big a difference. PVP I expect to die quick till I level up a bit, but as the tank in PVE I expect not to die in 5 seconds or so, whereas pre 50 I was doing expectionally well as a tank.
Is this a bad joke or trollong or a real questin? In pvp you die faster then pve. If your on about stf then ur doing something very wrong. Do u need build set up advice?

ok off my smart phone and on my computer so i can try my best to help. if your a crusier you have so many heals on your ship ou should surieve and heal your team as well. now im a huge escourt player and in my defaint i can solo a dock on cure elite and pop the cube with no tric mine. full dhc load out with turrents. if i can do that in a defaint then u sure as heck can do that in a "tank". my engy is in a oddy and my sci is in either a intrepid or carrier. if you would like me to give you a spec for your tank just let me know. i can always give a link with skill points and bridge officer setup. to be honest go into the pvp fourms section and get your advice from there. they can min/max your build. i can as well. you will find so many people giving you a million answeres your head will spin. i can give a 100% space spec as well as a dule ground/space. as well as explain anything i did in the spec.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...=pveelitestf_0

that is a basic example of a dule pve spec. its not what i would use since i never use rsp. but most do. to be honest i like using extends to heal team mates. now just key bind your epts and eptw with auto fire and sheild distro to space bar. now only use tt if your ship gets assulmated by the borg. other then that you will never need to use that tact team.

then there is power settings. i put my wep power to around 100 sheild power and engines gets pushed as low as it can and goes into aux. after that just cycle eps capt skill and bats. also red matter is an awesome device to have on a ship. also since you do see 2 copies of epts ( emergency power to sheilds) and ept (emergance power to weps) they can be run back to back since you see a total of 4 copies of eptx. so when its key bound you will see while epts is up eptw will also be up at the same time. so 2 systems getting boosted 24/7. http://hilbertguide.com/ key bind can be found here.

Last edited by broken1981; 12-30-2012 at 11:00 AM.