Career Officer
As everyone who does any kind of group content in PUGs knows need or greed is almost dead. Most people choose need by default and people who would usually use greed adapt to get something at all. So here's my absolutely crazy idea to reintroduce proper need or greed. Feedback is welcome.

Every time in a fleet action or STF something to roll on comes up and you chose "Pass" you get an extra mark.

Every time in a fleet action or STF something to roll on comes up and you chose "Greed" you get an extra mark if you fail the roll. If you win it you get the item you rolled on.

Every time in a fleet action or STF something to roll on comes up and you chose "Need" you get the item if you win the roll. Otherwise you get nothing.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Republic Veteran
# 2
12-29-2012, 06:06 AM
And a ninja update to increase mark income... very sneaky.

I thought of allowing a player to only choose 'Need' once in a period of time, say 5 minutes, to stop the Need spam on every piece of trash that appears. Then we could rename 'Greed' to just 'Roll', since Need is actually more greedy anyway.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
12-29-2012, 06:14 AM
How about

ONE Need per mission
Three Greeds per mission
unlimited passes per mission
Captain
# 4
12-29-2012, 06:15 AM
They need to add in a reliable way to make EC beyond Needing and selling everything, along with drastically reducing the vendor value of gear, if they wanted to break people of the habit of hitting Need every time.

On the flip side, though... nothing of value ever drops from mobs. Unless you're leveling, you'll likely never see an upgrade drop, so the only thing you can do with that stuff is vendor it. That being the case, there's no real reason at all to touch the system.
Rihannsu
# 5
12-29-2012, 06:45 AM
There's no reason to encourage people to use Need or Greed. Just get rid of it and distribute the loot randomly. Everyone wants the loot, stop asking stupid questiions.

Know that if there was an encouragement to not always Need, that would just mean everyone would Greed all the cheap trash and Need the few valuable items. The end result is exactly the same as it is now, except then everyone would have to pay attention to the flow of vendor trash in case there's something worth more than pocket change in there.

Random distribution with no questions > blindly clicking Need on everything > being forced to watch the item drops instead of playing the game

If there was a reason to care about loot other than its resale value, I could support a better distribution system (not Need & Greed, and not something you have to make a decision on in the heat of battle), but there isn't.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
12-29-2012, 07:32 AM
How about "You kill it, you win it's loot?"

Like in the non group play.
"Zero, Zero, Zero...Destruct, Zero"
Captain
# 7
12-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
There's no reason to encourage people to use Need or Greed. Just get rid of it and distribute the loot randomly. Everyone wants the loot, stop asking stupid questiions.

Know that if there was an encouragement to not always Need, that would just mean everyone would Greed all the cheap trash and Need the few valuable items. The end result is exactly the same as it is now, except then everyone would have to pay attention to the flow of vendor trash in case there's something worth more than pocket change in there.

Random distribution with no questions > blindly clicking Need on everything > being forced to watch the item drops instead of playing the game

If there was a reason to care about loot other than its resale value, I could support a better distribution system (not Need & Greed, and not something you have to make a decision on in the heat of battle), but there isn't.
And here you forget the people who dont want to get there inventory filled with mk x white stuff. So, Need or Drop should be the possible answers.
Career Officer
# 8
12-29-2012, 08:11 AM
not to mention that the Need or Greed UI does not even work in shooter mode, you can't press the button without swapping to RPG mode....

just one more reason why Shooter mode is not a feasible option to play with, compared to RPG mode. (there are a lot more reasons, but this is a big one).

and yes i just hammer Need all the time and dont even look at the loot that drops because it's all just vendor trash these days anyway,
at best something drops that you can sell on the exchange for a few more EC, and maybe, if your lucky one time a year something drops that you can actually use, i will not wait for that one time a year to press need ;P

i'd be perfectly fine with getting rid of this broken mechanic and swapping it to round robbing.

i also wouldn't mind if i would NOT have to press F for every loot drop, in other games you have a simple filter, what quality of items / what type do you want to pick up and what is converted to currency directly, and you just need to walk into it's range and it comes flying towards you instead of you needing to Press F all the time.

i also wouldnt mind if those loot containers and lockboxes would stop cluttering space on the screen, there is enough of a neon lightshow going on already with all the crazy wizzard powers out there.
Rihannsu
# 9
12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
I wish we could change that on open teams.

For non-open teams we have:
Round Robin; rotates players to give drops to
Free-for-all; gives drops to whoever kills the enemy
Master Lootist; gives all drops to the team leader (this sounds bad, but if the team doesn't WANT the loot...)
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 10
12-29-2012, 10:22 AM
For many of us players we are simply not lucky enough or skilled enough when it comes to Greed/Round Robin or the exchange to make ec.

Until they give us players another viable method of making decent amounts of ec then need it is. I press need everytime. Its the only way for unskilled in the ways of cash making to get ec. Thats the way it is.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...